First shark bite...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...happened yesterday afternoon, just as the tide was starting to come back in. Small shark with light colored fin and dorsal tips hit me just as I was raising my left foot off the bottom toward the scoop. Little guy came in with a small rush of water and grabbed hold of my big toe. Hurt like heck, but I was amazed at how fast it all happened. I saw everything clearly because I was looking right at the back of my scoop and could easily see it all. I'm guessing he was about 12 - 16 inches, hard to say when they're in the water because they look bigger then they really are. Place was full of small baitfish so I figure he thought my toe was a fat little mullet. Now I know why they call it the shark bite capital of the world. :laughing7: (This happened in the mid-afternoon daylight but no more surf hunting for me at night, or at dawn or dusk!)
shark3.jpg shark2.jpg

Upvote 0

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes they certainly hurt someone. I'm amazed at those that detect in the water@ night thinking the sharks are not going to be in shallow water. I've seen large (really large) bullsharks in 3 feet of water in Tampa bay . Happy yours' was a small one >Take care.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spend a lot of time in the small tidal pools and I had been seeing a lot of baitfish and a few larger fish chasing them around. When this happened I was at the mouth of a small pool where the water was starting to enter again. This little guy came in with the flush of surf water, hit me, and departed just as fast as he arrived. From what I understand it happens more often then people realize, most assuming they were just cut by a passing shell in the surf, etc. And from what I understand from the people who should know, if the cut is in a half-moon shape it probably wasn't a shell. But at any rate, "once bitten, twice shy", as they say. I'll still do my thing in the surf during the daylight, but I think I'll pass on all the surf hunting at low light hours. :icon_thumleft:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you still have all your little mullets...are you going to start wearing shoes when your in the water now?

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Those Florida sharks are sure protective of their gold.
Nah, all kidding aside I'm glad it wasn't worse of a bite.
In Hawaii the Moray Eel's will do the same if you get to close.
I had one bite my coil once.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was that through your shoe or barefoot? Considering what I have pulled up in my scoop I never hunt barefoot any more...

Surfview

Jul 1, 2012
Marineland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Sorry you got bit. Glad it was a small overachiever. Wading yesterday knee deep when lifeguard called everyone out for shark siting. Didn't see it. It to must have been following bait fish. They were everywhere. For every shark we see there are probably 10 we didn't see.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
If the shark had bitten Herb and Surf then we could change his name to Surf and Herb and charge fifty dollars a plate.

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Jeez glad it didn't take your toe off ! I don't know what i fear worse now a shark bite or a stingray sting with a broken barb in your flesh. Sometimes i wish i was aqua man so i could control the ocean creatures to search for sunken treasure :P

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Dang, I just did something stupid, I read this to my wife.... now she doesn't want me in the water at night...... No wait, maybe I was doing something stupid down there in the water with a light on, attracting small baitfish to my light at 1am.... duh.... might have to rethink my night hunting!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was bare foot, and will probably keep hunting bare foot a lot, was back at it again today. However.....it has sure shaken my future night hunting ideas/notions all to pieces. :laughing7:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I was at Virginia Beach weekend before last and the coastguard pulled up in the middle of the afternoon, got on their bullhorn, and ran everyone out of the water because of two hugh sharks just outside the sandbar. They moved on and twenty minutes later and everybody started going back in swimming. Not me until a few minutes later when a pod of dolphins came through. That made me feel a little safer. I waded out to grid an area out to about chest deep. On the fourth pass I found the nicest ladies diamond ring set of my life. 14k white gold and around 2 carrats of diamonds. I have not had appraised yet. But every time I got out over waist deep I was watching for shark fins. Just kind of keeps you destracted once you have seen them for the rest of the day. After finding that ring I called it a day. No need to push my luck and only about an hour of daylight left anyway. Night hunting I never go out over knee deep.

badkittystt

Greenie
Jul 19, 2012
St. Thomas
Primary Interest:
I would love to know what it is about the sharks up north that causes so much trouble. Are they really more aggressive? I can promise you if there is a shark in the water I will be scrambling for my snorkel or dive gear to get closer but if there's a dolphin I'll be miles away. Those guys terrify me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife gave me a bottle of herring oil , said to rub it on for good luck, then she called my insurance agent and increased my life insurance. ( just kidding)

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On average, there are about 65 shark attacks worldwide each year; a handful are fatal. You are more likely to be killed by a dog, snake or in a car collision with a deer. You’re also 30 times more likely to be killed by lightning and three times more likely to drown at the beach than die from a shark attack, according to ISAF. Consider yourself lucky.......I think? :icon_scratch:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On average, there are about 65 shark attacks worldwide each year; a handful are fatal. You are more likely to be killed by a dog, snake or in a car collision with a deer. You’re also 30 times more likely to be killed by lightning and three times more likely to drown at the beach than die from a shark attack, according to ISAF. Consider yourself lucky.......I think? :icon_scratch:

Florida is also one of the shark captials of the world, especially the area by Tampa Bay.... They migrate north up the west side of florida some times there are hundreds that can be seen from the air...... On the east coast of florida there are bites quite often on the surfers.............. Better chance being bitten by a dog, yes, being eaten by a dog ....NO

great20white_thumbnail.jpg

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
...happened yesterday afternoon, just as the tide was starting to come back in. Small shark with light colored fin and dorsal tips hit me just as I was raising my left foot off the bottom toward the scoop. Little guy came in with a small rush of water and grabbed hold of my big toe. Hurt like heck, but I was amazed at how fast it all happened. I saw everything clearly because I was looking right at the back of my scoop and could easily see it all. I'm guessing he was about 12 - 16 inches, hard to say when they're in the water because they look bigger then they really are. Place was full of small baitfish so I figure he thought my toe was a fat little mullet. Now I know why they call it the shark bite capital of the world. :laughing7: (This happened in the mid-afternoon daylight but no more surf hunting for me at night, or at dawn or dusk!)
View attachment 655500 View attachment 655501

You realize that he let you go when he figured out you were not a baitfish. Good thing you had clothes on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread