apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just returned from the Redneck Riviera (Port Aransas) and I now understand why this area was dubbed with said namesake. Folks in this area tend to bury all their beer cans en toto. Therefore, I spent the majority of my time pulling load after load of beer cans out of the sand and heading to the nearest trash can. I did not see a single detectorist out and about. Now I know why. But, a community service I did perform. :)

I also learned (the hard way) that an Excaliber, et. al., will be a must the next time I venture to a beach. My poor little ACE 250 bounced around like crazy--even in dry sand it was difficult to handle. I adjusted this, I adjusted that. Yep, the folks here on the Net know what they are talking about. Managed some pocket change and that was about it.

So, when I buy that new beach-worthy machine, I will post a pick just because I will be ever so happy!

apush

Upvote 0

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So sad to hear this. A beach hunt at Port A is on my to do list, and I also have a Ace 250.:icon_scratch:

People do like their beer down here and most do not know what a trash can is.

GL & HH

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Beer Can Burying" is a recognized sporting event (along with beach volleyball) up here in New Hampshire. We frequently hunt at Hampton Beach, where I can confirm, without a doubt, that Corona is the official beer (bottle caps) with Bud (cans) coming in second. Gotta love it! We, too, do our bit toward "community service". :sign10:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Just returned from the Redneck Riviera (Port Aransas) and I now understand why this area was dubbed with said namesake. Folks in this area tend to bury all their beer cans en toto. Therefore, I spent the majority of my time pulling load after load of beer cans out of the sand and heading to the nearest trash can. I did not see a single detectorist out and about. Now I know why. But, a community service I did perform. :)

I also learned (the hard way) that an Excaliber, et. al., will be a must the next time I venture to a beach. My poor little ACE 250 bounced around like crazy--even in dry sand it was difficult to handle. I adjusted this, I adjusted that. Yep, the folks here on the Net know what they are talking about. Managed some pocket change and that was about it.

So, when I buy that new beach-worthy machine, I will post a pick just because I will be ever so happy!

apush

Redneck Riviera? I beg your yankee pardon. Just kidding. Now sit down and listen. As you look down the beach there are two lines of dunes. Go behind the first line(there by the road) and detect along the second one. From about 1955 to a few years ago, we fancied ourselves treasure hunters and hiked, searched and found many things from that second line inland. Old RC bottle(wow), dummy bombs(it was in WWII a bombing range I think), quarters, nickels, dimes and oh yeah, silver(spanish) coins, bars and 10-15 old(spanish) gold coins as well as a few more modern gold coins and some jewelry that may or may not have been old. This was without a detector. We dug around. We(cousin, friends and me) roamed down Padre before it was a national seashore and found a lot of stuff there. The hike to the cut was fun, we camped, fished and dug around the old army camp(U.S. Mexican War). We went slow and looked. And we found things, all over that island. Port A has had a lot of beach construction, but I assure you that there is still stuff to be found. It will be in the last place you suspect and will surprise you. It could be exposed anywhere after a storm, but I promise you that it is there. Walk the beach, detect back in the dunes and keep going all the way down until you reach Malaquite Beach and the start of the national seashore. They frown on detectors as you know. The beaches in Texas can be very rewarding and your 250 is fine for getting the job done. Mine is...

Last edited:
OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Austin! Great information. I only hunted the beach area--not behind or around the dunes. Should have thought about that but time was limited. We will be going back next year. And, I am from Texas, too!
Happy Hunting--and again, thank you!
apush

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you were going to Galveston. Sorry you didn't have any luck. Hoping my AT Pro has a little more luck, but I am not too hopeful!

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Apush, sorry about that hunt; I wish you loads of success on your next outing!

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread