Good News/Bad News Gold & Silver

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted the local beach at low tide Friday afternoon got into some real nice targets a 18kGP over 925 Sterling Earing with chips. Thought it was 18k until I examined closer once I got home. Also got a 2009 10k girls class ring. Thats the good news. The bad news is my excal which is less then 5 months old is heading back to minelab for repairs. A wave came in and all of a sudden it makes a loud constant whining sound. I tried turning it off and on it would fix it then go back to the whining sound. I can have the volume all the way off and threshold barely on and its a consistant loud whining no matter in which mode the excal is in. I tested the batttery and its good. Washed out the coil and cover as well checked the conections. Minelab said 10-15 business days on turn around time. The bad part is this is the second time this machine has gone back and right in the smack dab of the middle of the summer season. Really makes me upset for a new machine to act like this. O well guess I'll be forced out of the surf for a few weeks and I was really getting on a roll lately.

10ojmvk.jpg

Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice finds, LDH.

Sorry about the problems with your excal...hope you get it repaired soon so you can get out there hunting again.

Lorraine

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Plea with the place you bought it or minelab to replace it. I gotta ask, did you ever drop it or ding it hard? Watch out for the cheezy duffel back they give you...it does nothing to protect it, just makes carrying it a bit easier. Sounds like water got in coil, or a wire is snapping. Also, sounds like its a lemon. Any machine can be rebuilt, but I would ask for a new one. Btw...nice finds. HH an GL -Joe

Hunted the local beach at low tide Friday afternoon got into some real nice targets a 18kGP over 925 Sterling Earing with chips. Thought it was 18k until I examined closer once I got home. Also got a 2009 10k girls class ring. Thats the good news. The bad news is my excal which is less then 5 months old is heading back to minelab for repairs. A wave came in and all of a sudden it makes a loud constant whining sound. I tried turning it off and on it would fix it then go back to the whining sound. I can have the volume all the way off and threshold barely on and its a consistant loud whining no matter in which mode the excal is in. I tested the batttery and its good. Washed out the coil and cover as well checked the conections. Minelab said 10-15 business days on turn around time. The bad part is this is the second time this machine has gone back and right in the smack dab of the middle of the summer season. Really makes me upset for a new machine to act like this. O well guess I'll be forced out of the surf for a few weeks and I was really getting on a roll lately.

View attachment 656046

OP
OP
lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never dropped it. Might have a lemon even thu when working it works like a champ.

sandnsea49

Jan 16, 2005
Temperance, MI summer-Sarasota, FL winter
Detector(s) used
Etrac, XP Deus, Excalibur 1000, Whites Dual Field PI, Makro Multi Kruzer
I have on older Excal and never had any trouble with it. I decided to upgrade to the Excal II. I hope I did not make a bad decision. I was going to sell my old Excal, but may keep it for a backup.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dig, congratulation
wav.gif
wav.gif

OP
OP
lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have on older Excal and never had any trouble with it. I decided to upgrade to the Excal II. I hope I did not make a bad decision. I was going to sell my old Excal, but may keep it for a backup.

My advice is to keep it. A good backup is worth its weight in gold. I learned that lesson. I'm actually looking for a backup now. I have the AT Pro but it is not even in the same ballpark in the surf with minerialized sands compared to the excal.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had problems with my Excals since I put them on a long shaft. I had many problems when hip mounting.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds...Ive had several gold earrings turn out to be plated .925...hope you get your detector back quick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread