Thinking about a Tesoro Tiger Shark...nee inputs and stuff people have found with it

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking about a Tesoro Tiger Shark...need inputs and stuff people have found with it

So for some reason I'm really feeling an urge to water hunt. I live in central New York so I'm surrounded by lakes, ponds and streams, so freshwater is what I would mainly want to do. I would very seldom salt water hunt. I'm interested in the Tesoro tiger shark, but havent seen many finds people have made with it or a lot of reviews. I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me with this and could post some finds you have made with it or any general knowledge. I can't just go out and buy one but this is just an idea. I have a Vaquero at the moment which is great for land.

Upvote 0

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You mentioned Lake hunting when we were talking this past week. If this is going to be for fresh water then I would go with an AT Pro or a Excal, in fresh water you don't have the issue of salt interference.

I love my Dual Field but I got it for a specific purpose. I goes super deep in the wet sand at the beach!

I have a feeling I am going to get one of the AT Pro's soon to hunt around the Chesapeake Bay.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
You mentioned Lake hunting when we were talking this past week. If this is going to be for fresh water then I would go with an AT Pro or a Excal, in fresh water you don't have the issue of salt interference.

I love my Dual Field but I got it for a specific purpose. I goes super deep in the wet sand at the beach!

I have a feeling I am going to get one of the AT Pro's soon to hunt around the Chesapeake Bay.
I agree AT PRO, EXCAL...I would add the BEACH HUNTER 300 to the list any of these will serve you well in the lakes...if you get the EXCAL or B.H 300 you'll be all set if you head out to the ocean!! I have used all of the above detectors and my choice would be #1-BH-300 #2-EXCAL #3- AT-PRO #4-TIGER SHARK.

Last edited:

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
tiger shark last really i hear such good things about them
It does not have the depth of the others..thats why!! The EXCAL & BH-300 are equal in trained hands..the AT-PRO is not bad. The TIGER's depth is less than these other 3..Tiger will find TINY TINY lead shot and drive you nuts!!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my tiger shark for five years and absolutely love it. It is extremely sensitive and will find the tiniest pieces of metal and can find small gold that the Excalibur can't. And it's light enough to hunt on the shoreline as well as in the water. And it has the great Tesoro warranty. I was a beginner when I first got mine and I was pretty hard on the coil and the headphones. Tesoro replaced both at no charge. And you can send it in just for a tuneup, again, no charge.

Also, batteries last a really long time - I usually change every 25 to 30 hours of hunting.

I have owned a beach hunter ID and a AT but the Tiger Shark beat them both.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to disagree with the above and tell you to go with the Tiger Shark, if, and only if, it's not to be used in Salt water. If your using it for fresh water, none of the others will find the gold the tiger shark will.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses thus far. I would be doing more than just lakes...theirs swimming holes I know of around here and ponds and stuff people swim at. What makes the other ones so much better in lakes compared to the tiger shark? I guess the depth thing could be a deciding factor but for those of you that have experience learning a tiger shark can you get a decent enough amount of depth?

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the responses thus far. I would be doing more than just lakes...theirs swimming holes I know of around here and ponds and stuff people swim at. What makes the other ones so much better in lakes compared to the tiger shark? I guess the depth thing could be a deciding factor but for those of you that have experience learning a tiger shark can you get a decent enough amount of depth?
The EXCAL II will find chains my buddy Steve has found many!! so will the Beach Hunter 300 in fresh water you can run these two very hot...depth is important in lakes to get the old gold targets that are deep!! I never found a chain with my AT-PRO so I can not speak on that ...I'm saying your gonna waste alot of time chasing tiny targets with the Tiger...it will make you nuts and waste valuable time.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEACH-HUNTER said:
The EXCAL II will find chains my buddy Steve has found many!! so will the Beach Hunter 300 in fresh water you can run these two very hot...depth is important in lakes to get the old gold targets that are deep!! I never found a chain with my AT-PRO so I can not speak on that ...I'm saying your gonna waste alot of time chasing tiny targets with the Tiger...it will make you nuts and waste valuable time.

I hear the beach hunter 300 doesn't get nearly as much depth as the excal. What makes it #1 in your opinion?

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
I have the Tiger Shark. With the 10" coil it will pick up a 5g 14k band at about 10' - 11" with a repeatable signal that I would dig. It is great on the salt sand beach but it does NOT like the rolling surf. I have found numerous gold rings with it on salt beaches. I rarely hunt fresh water lakes, but I understand from others that fresh water is what it is best suited to. In the surf it will squeel and whine with every wave. Lakes without wave action should not be a problem. I have not used the other detectors mentioned about and cannnot comment on their depth. I mainly use mine on the wet salt sand and I use the Whites Dual Field PI in the salt water. HH

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
I hear the beach hunter 300 doesn't get nearly as much depth as the excal. What makes it #1 in your opinion?
I found I got more to equal depth to the EXCAL...If you are not getting those results it is due to the settings your running or lack of knowing the detector. I have used the Beach hunter id with a super 12 coil...then switched to the 300 coil when it came out for over 7 years. I got great results, I used settings very close to what GOBBLE-GOBBLE has posted on other forums, I hunt in all metal,but use ID lights to tellme to dig or not. with these settings it was killer on gold.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll have to disagree with the above and tell you to go with the Tiger Shark, if, and only if, it's not to be used in Salt water. If your using it for fresh water, none of the others will find the gold the tiger shark will.

The Tiger Shark is probably THE finest single frequency VLF machine on the market today, that is fully submersible to 200-feet, and widely used by river and lake divers for its ability to detect small gold and block iron. If you are hunting fresh water, IN the water, you can't beat the Tiger Shark at ANY price, because it is the ONLY underwater detector with a lifetime warranty!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with terry,the tiger shark is a great fresh water machine,the sand shark is only good in salt water and wet sand.Happy hunting.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks...I know the Tiger Shark is just for freshwater hunting in its own right even with a salt mode...I just wanted to know how it compared to others JUST in fresh water

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Removing my foot from my mouth.

I jumped to the conclusion that the Tiger Shark was the pulse version when that is the Sand Shark. My bad & apologies.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PA John said:
Removing my foot from my mouth.

I jumped to the conclusion that the Tiger Shark was the pulse version when that is the Sand Shark. My bad & apologies.

It's ok man. Totally understandable

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to ease your mind the tesoro is the way to go. I haved owned one now for 3 yrs and quite happy with it. It's a very sensitive machine and the only one I have come across that actually picks up small chains! My area is all fresh water and the tesoro is the only detector I use there. Besides you can't beat the lifetime warranty which Tesoro will back up with a smile. As a matter of fact, I am heading to the river tomorrow!

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have a chance to buy a refurbished by the factory Tesoro Stingray II for a lot cheaper than a Tiger Shark. Are there any big differences between the two besides age?

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Do yourself a favor and buy new. The warranty is not transferrable and water machines have a far greater chance of needing service at some point in time because of the harsher elements they are exposed to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread