Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Thinking about a Tesoro Tiger Shark...nee inputs and stuff people have found with it

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2006
    New York
    Minelab E-trac
    99 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Thinking about a Tesoro Tiger Shark...need inputs and stuff people have found with it

So for some reason I'm really feeling an urge to water hunt. I live in central New York so I'm surrounded by lakes, ponds and streams, so freshwater is what I would mainly want to do. I would very seldom salt water hunt. I'm interested in the Tesoro tiger shark, but havent seen many finds people have made with it or a lot of reviews. I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me with this and could post some finds you have made with it or any general knowledge. I can't just go out and buy one but this is just an idea. I have a Vaquero at the moment which is great for land.

us
    PA John

Nov 2008
    York, PA
    Teknetics T2, Whites 6000 Series 2, Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro, ProPointer
    26 times
    Metal Detecting
    You mentioned Lake hunting when we were talking this past week. If this is going to be for fresh water then I would go with an AT Pro or a Excal, in fresh water you don't have the issue of salt interference.

I love my Dual Field but I got it for a specific purpose. I goes super deep in the wet sand at the beach!

I have a feeling I am going to get one of the AT Pro's soon to hunt around the Chesapeake Bay.
    BEACH-HUNTER likes this.

us
    GEORGE

Feb 2007
    NORTHEAST, USA
    Whites Dual Field PI
    112 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by PA John View Post
    You mentioned Lake hunting when we were talking this past week. If this is going to be for fresh water then I would go with an AT Pro or a Excal, in fresh water you don't have the issue of salt interference.

I love my Dual Field but I got it for a specific purpose. I goes super deep in the wet sand at the beach!

I have a feeling I am going to get one of the AT Pro's soon to hunt around the Chesapeake Bay.
    I agree AT PRO, EXCAL...I would add the BEACH HUNTER 300 to the list any of these will serve you well in the lakes...if you get the EXCAL or B.H 300 you'll be all set if you head out to the ocean!! I have used all of the above detectors and my choice would be #1-BH-300 #2-EXCAL #3- AT-PRO #4-TIGER SHARK.
    Last edited by BEACH-HUNTER; Jul 22, 2012 at 03:30 PM.

Jul 2012
    1 times
    tiger shark last really i hear such good things about them

us
    GEORGE

Feb 2007
    NORTHEAST, USA
    Whites Dual Field PI
    112 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sandshark32431 View Post
    tiger shark last really i hear such good things about them
    It does not have the depth of the others..thats why!! The EXCAL & BH-300 are equal in trained hands..the AT-PRO is not bad. The TIGER's depth is less than these other 3..Tiger will find TINY TINY lead shot and drive you nuts!!

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Vaquero
    1050 times
    I have had my tiger shark for five years and absolutely love it. It is extremely sensitive and will find the tiniest pieces of metal and can find small gold that the Excalibur can't. And it's light enough to hunt on the shoreline as well as in the water. And it has the great Tesoro warranty. I was a beginner when I first got mine and I was pretty hard on the coil and the headphones. Tesoro replaced both at no charge. And you can send it in just for a tuneup, again, no charge.

Also, batteries last a really long time - I usually change every 25 to 30 hours of hunting.

I have owned a beach hunter ID and a AT but the Tiger Shark beat them both.
    Sandman likes this.

us
    Jul 2010
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark
    455 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'll have to disagree with the above and tell you to go with the Tiger Shark, if, and only if, it's not to be used in Salt water. If your using it for fresh water, none of the others will find the gold the tiger shark will.
    Terry Soloman and Sandman like this.
    He who digs the most trash finds the most treasure! | Tesoro Sand Shark Fan Page

us
    Aug 2006
    New York
    Minelab E-trac
    99 times
    Thanks for the responses thus far. I would be doing more than just lakes...theirs swimming holes I know of around here and ponds and stuff people swim at. What makes the other ones so much better in lakes compared to the tiger shark? I guess the depth thing could be a deciding factor but for those of you that have experience learning a tiger shark can you get a decent enough amount of depth?
    What a hobby

us
    GEORGE

Feb 2007
    NORTHEAST, USA
    Whites Dual Field PI
    112 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby S View Post
    Thanks for the responses thus far. I would be doing more than just lakes...theirs swimming holes I know of around here and ponds and stuff people swim at. What makes the other ones so much better in lakes compared to the tiger shark? I guess the depth thing could be a deciding factor but for those of you that have experience learning a tiger shark can you get a decent enough amount of depth?
    The EXCAL II will find chains my buddy Steve has found many!! so will the Beach Hunter 300 in fresh water you can run these two very hot...depth is important in lakes to get the old gold targets that are deep!! I never found a chain with my AT-PRO so I can not speak on that ...I'm saying your gonna waste alot of time chasing tiny targets with the Tiger...it will make you nuts and waste valuable time.

us
    Aug 2006
    New York
    Minelab E-trac
    99 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BEACH-HUNTER
    The EXCAL II will find chains my buddy Steve has found many!! so will the Beach Hunter 300 in fresh water you can run these two very hot...depth is important in lakes to get the old gold targets that are deep!! I never found a chain with my AT-PRO so I can not speak on that ...I'm saying your gonna waste alot of time chasing tiny targets with the Tiger...it will make you nuts and waste valuable time.
    I hear the beach hunter 300 doesn't get nearly as much depth as the excal. What makes it #1 in your opinion?
    What a hobby

us
    Apr 2012
    East Coast
    Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF Whites Dual Field PI
    218 times
    I have the Tiger Shark. With the 10" coil it will pick up a 5g 14k band at about 10' - 11" with a repeatable signal that I would dig. It is great on the salt sand beach but it does NOT like the rolling surf. I have found numerous gold rings with it on salt beaches. I rarely hunt fresh water lakes, but I understand from others that fresh water is what it is best suited to. In the surf it will squeel and whine with every wave. Lakes without wave action should not be a problem. I have not used the other detectors mentioned about and cannnot comment on their depth. I mainly use mine on the wet salt sand and I use the Whites Dual Field PI in the salt water. HH

us
    GEORGE

Feb 2007
    NORTHEAST, USA
    Whites Dual Field PI
    112 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby S View Post
    I hear the beach hunter 300 doesn't get nearly as much depth as the excal. What makes it #1 in your opinion?
    I found I got more to equal depth to the EXCAL...If you are not getting those results it is due to the settings your running or lack of knowing the detector. I have used the Beach hunter id with a super 12 coil...then switched to the 300 coil when it came out for over 7 years. I got great results, I used settings very close to what GOBBLE-GOBBLE has posted on other forums, I hunt in all metal,but use ID lights to tellme to dig or not. with these settings it was killer on gold.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3265 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DewGuru View Post
    I'll have to disagree with the above and tell you to go with the Tiger Shark, if, and only if, it's not to be used in Salt water. If your using it for fresh water, none of the others will find the gold the tiger shark will.
    The Tiger Shark is probably THE finest single frequency VLF machine on the market today, that is fully submersible to 200-feet, and widely used by river and lake divers for its ability to detect small gold and block iron. If you are hunting fresh water, IN the water, you can't beat the Tiger Shark at ANY price, because it is the ONLY underwater detector with a lifetime warranty!

us
    Feb 2012
    CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
    568 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I agree with terry,the tiger shark is a great fresh water machine,the sand shark is only good in salt water and wet sand.Happy hunting.

us
    Aug 2006
    New York
    Minelab E-trac
    99 times
    Thanks...I know the Tiger Shark is just for freshwater hunting in its own right even with a salt mode...I just wanted to know how it compared to others JUST in fresh water
    What a hobby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors