Bling Gods, Where Art Thou?

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday. Hampton Beach, NH. Sunny, low 80's, "mid-tide". Husband and I, the dynamic duo of MD hit the beach swinging...

4 hours of MD later....$5.05 in clad, one junk earring (why aren't they ever lost in pairs?), and a junk belly button charm (ewwww). For the real junk: 6 Corona caps, 1 Coke cap, 8 pull tabs, 1 rusty nail and lots of broken glass.

Leaving the beach a fellow MDer calls me over - one HONKING platinum wedding band (men's with ice at least 1 oz.) and a .925 religious medal and chain (both found in the tide line)!!!!!!! (No he is not a TNet or any other MD forum member, just one of the anonymous MDer's out there).

Am I not praying to the Bling Gods properly? I am very pleased that we are now $5.05 closer to retirement, but aside from the 14k wedding band found and returned a couple months back, the good stuff eludes us. I know, I know, patience is needed, as many go years without gold. All I am asking for is this: one nice find to keep....even really nice junque bling (that's what I usually wear anyway) would be much appreciated . I'm not asking for much.....am I? [sigh]

Anita :sadsmiley:

P.S. Earrings must be in pairs as I have two ears and like to wear earrings in both at the same time. Thank you. amen.

Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Anita,
You are just going through a "dry spell"....I've had many of those.

Better days are coming..keep at it..and I wish you the best of luck out there

Lorraine

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
AC keep swinging, look for where the crowds are, learn to read the beach you are on, hunt low tide, and make sure you have a good water machine. I hunted dry sand for some time with very little jewelry to show for it. Then I started water hunting just over a year ago. I have now paid for three top of the line water machines ( I think you need that many as a bare minimum because it seems like one is always being sent back in for some kind of repair ) and I have two awesome diamond rings that I have not had appraised yet that would pay for several more. The people on this site are so helpful and I am miles ahead of where I was a year ago. Only wish I lived near the ocean so that I could get there more often. And last but not least by any standard is to keep a positive outlook everytime you go out and good things will come. HH...STUART

OP
OP
AC1955

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys...of course we'll keep trying! Our day will come....

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anita, your time will come. I hunted the dry sand for 5 years until I found my first gold. I found plenty of silver and costume jewelry. I dug an average of about 60 bottle caps and 20 pulltabs per hunt. On my Garrett GTAx 400 the bottle caps would register as a quarter. In the Florida heat, this was extremely frustrating. When I found that first gold (small 10k mother's ring) it was like I hit the lotto. I remember it like it was yesterday. I found it on the way to the restroom.

As long as your detector is set up properly and your swing is low and level. The only thing I can say is put in the time and the good stuff will come. I've hunted behind people with poor swing technique and found plenty. It doesn't matter if you've got the "best" detector out there, if not used properly it is a waste. Having said that, despite proper technique, a good find could still be just outside your swing area. You can miss a find by an inch or a mile. A few years back working the dry sand I was moving towards the water and almost stopped just before the high tide line because I figured the salt at the tide line would cause my detector to false . I decided to go two more steps. Just at the end of my swing I got a signal. One scoop later I had my heaviest silver bracelet to date.

As far as finding lost pairs of earrings goes, I've only found 2 pairs in 12 years of hunting.

BTW my avatar was found in the dry sand on the morning I found the bracelet I mentioned.

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good luck to you!!! Hope you find what u r looking for>>>:3barsgold:

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting skunked stinks.....especially when you put the swings in.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold is in the water.

beachboy

Bronze Member
May 26, 2008
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
I know a guy that has never got gold...15 years or so, that is what he says...he said the only gold that he has found was in the parking lot...

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5.05 is not a bad day in my book. I have only been at this the last few months and a found a small gold and a silver ring both were in the water, the gold at the waterline and the silver waist deep. I got 1.59 out of the dry sand by a concession stand this am, but didn't expect any jewelry around there.

Main thing is enjoy the time out and someday who knows? Every day is a treasure hunt on the beach.

Good luck and happy hunting,

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about your settings. When I first got my MXT I used the factor preset for discrimination but would frequently notice it was moving up to 6 or 7 thus eliminating any chance of gold. I would airtest then sand test a gold ring at the beach just to make sure you detector can pick it up. Other than that it is the law of ground coverage. the more ground you cover the better your chances are. There are also several good youtube videos on how to beach hunt. Great tips. you should look them up.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will come eventually. I'm on the beach nearly every day and I still have stretches where I suspect my machine isn't working properly. :laughing7: Then, bang, bang, bang......you just never can tell.

OP
OP
AC1955

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the encouragement. Every day that my husband and I go out to hunt is a good day....skunked or not. (Any day we spend together is a good day!). He is the one who uses the detector. I do some of the scooping and I get to hold the goodies.(Holding the goodies is the best part....requires no effort!) I am disabled and facing knee replacement surgery in a few months, so I am fairly limited as to what I can do. I know that our time will come and we will bring home the gold. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread