What do you do?

shern_0711

May 19, 2012
I am curious what everyone does for a living. Retired, self employed, or whatever it may be. I work offshore on a drillship as a Materials Coordinator. Luckily I only work half the years so this provides me time to metal detect. I am rather new to the site with only a few posts, but enjoy reading everyone's posts.

Upvote 0

mike3366

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an automotive tech . Been doing For 18 years . Love what I do and the plus is all the cool tools I get to buy ! I hunt land and water new to it but having x great time .

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30 years installing, fabricating, repairing, and troubleshooting robotics and automation systems. Mostly in the doomed auto industry and also 5 years in the plastics industry, 2 years owning an antique and collectible store. And then......today I'm pretty much a caregiver for my aging parents who we recently moved to Florida, then the situation worsened, heart attacks, strokes, memory issues, they are both 85 and physically healthy now. This is what I'll be doing until it is no longer required. In the meantime I write, buy & sell, and MD to supplement my income.

arrowduc

Apr 28, 2012
Iowa City, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesaro Vaquaro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm tired. Oops I mean retired. I like camping, fishing -- but now I like metal detecting. Spent Sunday in Missouri metal detecting. The ground was so hard we couldn't dig up our targets. Same here in Iowa City.

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I spent about 10 years working for the National Marine Fisheries Service in New England, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, and Northern California as a fisheries biologist. I picked up the nickname "Fenway" out west when my colleagues found out I was such a big Red Sox fan. The "wicked" thick Boston accent might have also inspired that nickname.
I currently teach Biology and sometimes Earth Science and Oceanography at one of the largest high schools on the east coast. One morning last summer I woke up at my usual 5AM and decided to walk down to the beach. Just as I was thinking to myself, "what are you gonna do all summer", a guy strolled by swinging a detector. That's when it hit me! So, I have been at it ever since. Almost a full year now. Now I certainly know what I will be doing with my summers!

cz70pro

Mar 18, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wastewater treatment plant operator(turd herder!). Seven days a week I am surrounded by water four days of nasty, and three immersed in the beautiful FL gulf coast. I am a surf hunter by location,but a relic hunter at heart. I would love to buy some property in Amelia or Fredricksburg VA, and become a relic hunting snowbird when I retire!

Nicholas

Jul 15, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher f-2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am Interpreter for deaf community and work for school a system.

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pre-tirement, tile,marble installer been out of work for two years, no end in site. Un fortunately I will soon go outand (HOPEFULLY) get two 8hr jobs (yes 16 hour work day) and still not make the money I was making and wil be without health care still. Only in the U.S.A. Hopefully it will bounce back(economy) but by then I will be retired and not just practicing pretirement.

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
I work for a defense contractor as a field service technician.... Currently placed in Okinawa, Japan. I'm an HVAC technician by trade, and I'm here to take care of some special air conditioners for the USAF. Before this gig, I did 3 years in the Middle East, and my next gig should be in England (so I'm told). Hey... at least this job takes me to some exotic places.

SneadsFerryMD

Apr 10, 2012
Sneads Ferry NC
Detector(s) used
Torreseo Sand Shark, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal and Mine Detector / Route Clearance Instructor for the Marine Corps.

mtburry

Jun 29, 2012
I am a fifth grade teacher in Orlando, Florida. I get to the beaches often and am eagerly watching the weather due to a tropical system that is forming in the Atlantic. I probably will never retire as I moved around a lot and lived in Chile for over 16 years . Weekends are all I can do!

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a zookeeper. I primarily work with the reptiles, amphibians and small mammals both on display and off exhibit for education. I also work with Snow Leopards, primates, African Wild Dogs and Red River Hogs.

sandnut

Nov 17, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II uMax , Tesoro Silver uMax, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
corrections officer aka prison guard.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vehicle maintenance in the US Air Force. I can retire in 6 years then I will live close to or on the water somewhere.

Last edited:

jmoe

Nov 19, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Retired over the road trucker, retired 1 yr

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air Traffic Controller, 26 years. Currently at Tampa Intl. Been to Miami Intl and Hollywood North Perry towers.

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
Jack of all and master of none, started as a LEO in south fl. then on to the F.D., 96th emt in fl, parmedic and finally got a captains license, mostly small private yachts ,<100, then on to tugs and barges retired five years ago, broke and seems like I have less fun time now than when I worked. One and only grandaughter is no. 1. Thirty minutes to Daytona beach and two hours fifteen minutes to Clearwater or Bradenton but Les has already found everything over there./

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread