shern_0711

May 19, 2012
Upvote 0

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
You got a cool job and I wish I'd have that much time for detecting too. I work as a cargo officer for an aircargo handling agent at an airport. Before that I worked as a scuba instructor in the Caribbean for 8 years, before that as a scaffolder for 7 years, before that as a mechanic ...

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:hello:Hi Shern,

Wash windows , scrub floors, clean venetian blinds, dust furniture, clean the litter boxes, laundry, cooking...well, you get the idea :laughing7:

Seriously, I presently teach piano privately in my home studio; previously having taught music K-8 ; prior to that worked as an RN in various hospital settings and at a residential facility for the State Dept of Developmental Services.

After retirement , I sure needed a relaxing hobby...and found one in metal detecting!

Lorraine

Last edited:
OP
OP
shern_0711

shern_0711

May 19, 2012
Wrecker,

I bet being a scuba instructor in the Caribbean was a lot of fun! My wife and are buying a house in Florida next year an I am looking forward to getting scuba certified and doing some underwater detecting.

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Retired 2 years now and thankful every day how blessed I am to have time to share things w/ Sandy besides just working together. Every day we have fun detecting , fishing , breakfast somewhere with an water view , or simply playing Angry Bird on the I pad..

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a full time treasure hunter and make a very comfortable living from my finds...then I wake up and Im a loader operator. :dontknow:

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Retired forover 7 years. I hunt about 3 times a week ( Monday, Thursday and Fridays) Tuesdays and Wednesdays are for the grand kids. Saturday and Sundays are for Lovie!! ( As Mr. Thurston P. Howell of Gilligan's Island would say)

OP
OP
shern_0711

shern_0711

May 19, 2012
I can't wait to be in Florida close to the water! I'm envious! Granted I have plenty time off I have four small children so I don't get to detect as much as I like but when I do they come along for the adventure with my wife.

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the Head Grower for a family owned Greenhouse business in central NY. We root millions of annual and perennial cuttings that are shiped to us from all over the world. They come from Costa rica, guatamalla, isreal, china, on and on. We have 8 acres of heated greenhouses and at peek season over 100 employees. After we root the cuttings they are then shiped all over the US. I have been at it since I was 15 yrs old and have about 29 years in. Fortunately, between June 1 st and November we are at slow time and I get to the detecting. I work the finger lakes and st Lawrence mostly. Underwater detecting and wadeing.
Love fishing but find myself picking up the ex cal rather than the fishing pole !
Gave up sky diving 20 years ago but also loved it.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to say I'm a full time picker but I don't make quite enough doing that so I've been working the last 13 years in logistics for a large retailer.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a physician in an extremely high stress sub-speciality. I took up metal detecting on a whim one weekend and found it to be so cathartic I have been doing it since. I wish I could retire and do this everyday...until then, I am happy to have it for stress relief.

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I work has a yardmaster for a railroad, I'm also a locomotive engineer. I started out detecting about 10 years ago with a radio shack detector and I was hooked I since then got a Garrett Infinium LS, sold that and got a whites DFX300 and just 2 months ago I purchased a whites V3i

Like most on here I can't wait until I can retire and pursue this hobby full time.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been fully disabled since 1988. Used to work as an EMT and Medical Assistant for an OB/GYN in Boston. Now I am glad for any day my husband (manufacturing engineer) and I can get out together to MD. Any day for me with moderate pain is a good day (9 back surgeries, 1 hip replacement and pending knee replacement surgery - December '12). MD has truly helped keep me sane and moving. Plus, the goodies are a bonus...love that silver and gold! (not that we've found any) :happysmiley:

HH to all....
Anita

Siete_Plumas

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2011
Fortaleza
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i / Excal II
I have worked in oilfield logistics for best part of 25 years. Provide rig mobilization services for land rigs, mainly in Latin America where I have been based since 1991 (Venezuela and now Brazil). Not lucky enough to work on rotation like you.... I wish ;-)
HH

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crispin,
I had to smile at your post as I took up MDing as a hobby and then found when I had the earpone's on all I thought about was the tone! My life has been and is still quite a 'swirl'! I became intrigued with extrusion in the early 70's, coupled that to medical catheters and I've been busy off and on over the years working as a consultant, business owner, researcher and the like with all related to catheter's and components. I closed my last company in late 2008 as a small investor tried to extort money from the company. Recently I took a job with Boston Scientific as a Tech III and it has been an interesting 4 months. Usually I would have consulted with them but as I do not have a college diploma they could not do that or higher me as an engineer, so I'm now a Tech/Consultant.

I started detecting by making the detector from electronics magazine articles. My first real detector was a White's 6000D - what a great machine. I spend as much time as I can in the mountains here in Northern California prospecting though this year I've yet to have been "out there". Soon though, very soon as I can almost feel it happening! I would like to have a companion with me but to date I've not found a suitable someone.

Happy Hunting to all..........63bkpkr

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my 25th year as a Corrections Officer will retire when im 55 in 8 years

Burldrives

Sep 26, 2011
St Petersburg Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
Great topic I was a tour bus driver for 30 years in Jersey. Retired and moved to St petersburg Florida , after 4 months I missed being on the road , that was 6 years ago. Im planning on hanging it up in the spring. Not happy with my Garret PI will get eather a excal or cz21

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Retired 22 years ago thanks to a guy who can't drive.Now I am a honey doer and her biggest honey do, is go find her some Gold.I like that one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread