Jun 29, 2012
westside
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 350 (sold)
Garrett AT PRO
Garret pro pinpointer
Minelab Excalibur II
Guess theres no definite answer to the question but:
About how long does it take for lets say a ring to sink so deep in the sand in the water that a metaldetector cant pick up the signal from it.
Obviously it has to do with what kind of sand there is and winds and stuff but are we talking days or weeks or even years?
Maybe there is no answer but the reason i ask is that beaches here in Sweden are only used for about 2-3 MONTHS PER year AND NOT VERY CROWDED with people (loosing stuff) and since my garrett AT PRO dont do good in saltwater i might have to get a better and way more expensive detecctor for that and was thinking about Minelab Excalibur. But Maybe its not worth all that money try to find something if it only takes maybe a week after someone drops for it to sink too deep.
What im trying to say is that in the dry or moist sand i could find stuff (mostly coins so far)that people have been loosing for many years, thats not the case in water?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

svensken77

Jun 29, 2012
westside
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 350 (sold)
Garrett AT PRO
Garret pro pinpointer
Minelab Excalibur II
Another detector came into consideration.
Garrett Sea Hunter mark 2 anyone had good or bad experience with that?

That makes 3 detectors im thinking about:
Tesoro Sand Shark (out of stock for about 3-4 weeks)
Garrett Sea Hunter mark II (out of stock for about 3-4 weeks)
Whites Surf Dual Field PI (Avalible but a bit more expensive)

Now i know this question have been up here many times but all theese seems to be good detectors so is there any problems with any of them? (exept ill have to wait 3-4 weeks for 2 of them)

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why wait,check around with different dealers . Someone should have one . I just bought a sand shark by calling around.Buy new.

crazyfish

Jul 20, 2010
Svensken77 this may help you. I found a copper Plate 3' sq. I been told it's about 1,000 years old . I found it in 3 feet of water and about 2 to 3 feet in the sand. It was below the beach sand, below the shell bed, below the clay ( about 1 foot thick ) into the suger sand which is fresh water.I have had two Archeolegest look at it, and am waitting for the British Museum to get back to me.The Copper Plate is a Sanskit Bible.The museum is the Worlds leading authority on Sanskit.

Would LOVE to see the plate man, can you post some pictures of it?

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why wait,check around with different dealers . Someone should have one . I just bought a sand shark by calling around.Buy new.
so true Rons, it is a world market - I'm shopping for a GT and I so far have it at about 3/5 retail! HH and find gold all!

OP
OP
S

svensken77

Jun 29, 2012
westside
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 350 (sold)
Garrett AT PRO
Garret pro pinpointer
Minelab Excalibur II
With the taxes and customs and deliverycost the Tesoro and the Garrett gets even more expensive over all than where i plan on buying from (Finland) and theres atleast 2 weeks deliverytime from the States so that makes it almost the same.
I bought the ACE 350 from US (kellyco) at about the same price as here with taxes and shipping but that too was out of stock here when i was buying.
The AT-pro i bought kind of expensive too from Austria but i got a pinpointer and some other stuff that i didnt need ;) with it. (kellyco style )

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original question referred to how quickly depositions would form over a lost item in salt water. I don't know anything about Metal Detectors, but having been a merchant marine pilot for 20 years I can give some insight into depositions in salt water. If the waters are protected from wind and tidal surges with little current, it can take a very long time for sand to form shoals, and an object can remain with only a shallow covering for many years (remember the pictures they sent from the Titanic site). However, near shore, where I'm assuming you are working, particularly around pocket bays after a 'spring tide', shoaling can form as quickly as overnight. There are places I traveled around the Texas bays where keeping the channels open is a full time ongoing job for the Corps of Engineers. There were many places that I traveled through that were plenty deep yesterday, but today I would 'drag bottom' crossing. Around river mouths or in the rivers themselves, below the points shoaling can form very rapidly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread