Went for the PI dual

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ive only owned cheap detectors that were worthless in the salt. I wanted to upgrade and after two weeeks of anal research I narrowed it down to the Tesoro sandshark vs Whites PI. The dealer is dropping off my PI today. Im still having second thoughts as the sandshark looks like a nice machine for less money and a lifetime warranty. But for now I am a Whites owner.

Upvote 0

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the new machine. Prepare to dig some DEEP holes!!!!! The machine will pay itself off in no time. I love the service I get from White's.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best of luck to you! Get a GOOD sandscoop! :occasion14:

svensken77

Jun 29, 2012
westside
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 350 (sold)
Garrett AT PRO
Garret pro pinpointer
Minelab Excalibur II
I have been back and forth about theese 2 as well..
I decided with the Minelab Excalibur ;) ..
Dont know if it was the right decition and worth the extra money but ill guess i have to try.. Havet got it yet though.

But good luck with White PI and happy hunting.

bn81159

Jul 2, 2012
Boca Raton
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur 1000,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
I went with the tesoro sand shark since it was in my budget however the minelab Excalibur will be my next choice.

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Minelab Soveriegn Elite, Minelab 305
Since we can just go with one of each you have to make the decision that works for you and most of all works with your budget. No matter what the choice somebody will say you should have gotten XYZ machine. I think when you pick one and your happy with the choice you made it was the right choice all along.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Congrats on the Whites. I own the dual field, sand shark, and excalibur. They are all excellent machines and each has paid for itself very quickly.

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
AFTER TWO WEEKS OF WHAT RESEARCH? Must have been a tough decision. But congrats on your new machine. Looking forward to see your finds. Good luck and happy hunting

OP
OP
B

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
AFTER TWO WEEKS OF WHAT RESEARCH? Must have been a tough decision. But congrats on your new machine. Looking forward to see your finds. Good luck and happy hunting
I joined and read five forums and went back up to a year in posts. I borrowed a beach hunter from a local dealer for afew days using in four times. I called both manufacturers and put them on the spot asking them why I should buy their machine over their competitors. The thing that influenced me the most was I called three dealers that sell both the Pi and the sandshark and all three told me for what Im gonna do (beach and underwater) to go with the PI. I still feel the Sandshark is a very capable machine at a lower price with a better warranty. So I went with the Pi with a little reluctance based on the dealers comments.
I used the Pi this morning and set it with the factory recomended settings. I noticed the background tone was never steady but wavered. Is that just the way it is? I found a bunch of clad change but nothing you guys would want to see a picture of.

Last edited:

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Minelab Soveriegn Elite, Minelab 305
Im sure someone with MUCH more knowledge than I have will chime in here and give you some excellent advice but for now I would recommend that you tinker with the settings a bit. I had a Sovereign GT and you had to dial it in, there was no "pre-set" for the beaches, every beach is going to be different from my experience anyway. Even now with the 305 I have to make spot adjustments to compensate for mineralization when I am out at the beach and when I go from dry to wet sand have to compensate for it all over. Your going to pick up ghost signals, well I did on my GT but once you get accustom to them you understand better what the detector is telling you. Its going to take some time so be patient and start tinkering with the Disc, notch and threshold to dial it in..............at least thats what I would do!!!!!

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
I have been using my Whites PI for a number of years now and still love it.
I used to use it on the dry sand too and would get blisters from all the digging (mostly junk) so I got an Ace 250 for that area.
I've seen that some people set the gain to factory recommended and the tone all the way down.
I have my gain at about factory and the gain a little higher than factory, I don't like too much buzzing in the ears.
I would say play with it...take some targets of your own to the sand to test. You find what suits you best.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread