a quote from another detectorist and my thoughts/reply.....

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"SOMETHING ELSE I'VE NOTICED,IN MY "JUST BROWSING"TRIPS:SOME OF THE NICE THINGS,FOLKS ARE WEARING INTO THE WET:Watches,rings,some real nice necklaces,and bracelets...

yep, there still wearing it. a girl came up to me the other day and said she just lost her tiffany ring out in the shoulder deep water and if i find it later more power to me. she had another on her thumb and said its just like this and continued to swim without removing it. i have also seen people remove things after seeing me, or check there stuff to see if they still have it and continue to swim.
thats one reason. i prefer to hunt at night, i dont want to advertise to large crowds what im doing.
all this being said..., i cant figure out why im not finding much at all!!! a few junk jewelry items each time out is pretty much it. the only thing i can figure is that it is sinking out of range very fast due to the waves and sanded in conditions, i hunt with a cz20,cz6a,excal and there are plenty times where i know i am the first one in.

anyway........there still wearing it and loosing it!

Upvote 0

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am not sure what your quoting an whats written by you, but thats ok. I will say a few things.

Hunting when swimmers are around can be down right infuriating. I was at a nice lake this summer. And about 15 kids, some teenagers, were playing. One. Only one. Was screaming at the top of his lungs. For like hours. Oh ya, parents were there. Not parenting. I could not hear myself think. It wasn't until mom decided to be mom an demanded the whole crew come out at a moments notice and declared the day over. She was funny too...yelling at all of them pre-emptively not to get sandy. Could easily have asked the group to be a little quieter.

As far as people wearing jewelry in the water. Its pretty much ok for most. Most of the time, its a ring that does not fit that ends up falling off. Necklaces an things like that that can easily fall off. That stuff should be left at home. But, some forget. And try to do the right thing an hide items in their blankets an stuff, an lose it in the dry sand.

One last thing to note about. Being seen. I have hunted since 2000. And. In general, I have not got into night hunting. Here is why. If I wait until say saturday night to hunt, MR Metal detector man who hunted that afternoon got it all. Fresh water ponds in general, all over my area are hunted daily, if not weekly. So your lucky if you hit a fresh water hole after 8PM and its untouched. People seeing me, I have no problem with it really. Just don't tell people about the fat gold ring you just found. Or the 4 silver coins within 10 feet of eachother. Laugh if asked an say...arrg just some change an sharp nails.

Another thing to consider about night hunting. You can really really get your balls broke after hours at some places. Around where I live, a club decided to hunt a place at midnight. Morons. All had their stupid hat flashlights going. Like 10 of them. What do you think the state police did when they saw activity at that place at midnight. They got backup, and almost arrested all of them. It made the papers. So not only do those ten people know about that spot, many many others found out about it.

I have a few rules about myself. I won't impose on anyone. If you have to, smile an say hi an be nice. It takes one complaint an your a gonner. Never admit to finding anything of value. And, try to ignore people. I say try because some people will get in your face no matter what. HH an GL -Joe

"SOMETHING ELSE I'VE NOTICED,IN MY "JUST BROWSING"TRIPS:SOME OF THE NICE THINGS,FOLKS ARE WEARING INTO THE WET:Watches,rings,some real nice necklaces,and bracelets...

yep, there still wearing it. a girl came up to me the other day and said she just lost her tiffany ring out in the shoulder deep water and if i find it later more power to me. she had another on her thumb and said its just like this and continued to swim without removing it. i have also seen people remove things after seeing me, or check there stuff to see if they still have it and continue to swim.
thats one reason. i prefer to hunt at night, i dont want to advertise to large crowds what im doing.
all this being said..., i cant figure out why im not finding much at all!!! a few junk jewelry items each time out is pretty much it. the only thing i can figure is that it is sinking out of range very fast due to the waves and sanded in conditions, i hunt with a cz20,cz6a,excal and there are plenty times where i know i am the first one in.

anyway........there still wearing it and loosing it!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeker at the price of gold even grandma is going to snorkel for a gold ring. They seems to being leaving us the junk.

Dew

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are covered in gold jewelery, but a lot of it is fake. I see women check their rings when they see what Im doing. The majority of people think were looking for coins.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this day an age, if you're not hunting the beaches during the height of their activity then you're seriously handicapping yourself. There's just way too many experienced detectorist hitting the beaches during the busiest hours and they're not leaving much behind, which only leaves a few late drops and scraps for the night hunter. And beyond the waterline there's just way too much sand to expect even a recent drop to stay within range for very long, and this includes modern coins. In recent months I've seen three different hunters "sweeping" everything but the water and waterline with specialty impulse rigs using up to 42" coils, and these guys can cover "a lot" of ground in very short order. Bottom line, he who gets to it first digs.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeker, here's a recent study relating to the effects of swing speed VS depth on the CZ-21 with 10.5 and the Excal 800 with the stock 7 1/2" coil. This information is important to realize when water hunting where resistance can slow the swing speed of the coil. You would think that the CZ with the 10.5 coil would be the deeper machine VS the stock 7 1/2 inch coil on the Excalibur, but it simply isn't true.

machine test2.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When there are people in the water you need to be there hunting too. Granted you need to go around some and be careful that kids don't step or get cut with the scoop. But I always tried to hunt till early evening when the crowds left as you get first dibs on beach towels, chairs and filled coolers of beer. If I had the strength I would arrive very early to be the first one in the water when the surface was calm and water clear so you could see dollar bills on the bottom if you wore polarized glasses. You'd be suprised at how much is there. Swim trunks or cutoffs with bills in the pockets are also found early before the wind comes up.

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone! just hunted 5 hours arrived 1.5 hours before low tide and did not see one other detectorist! got the normal three or four junk ear rings, sunglasses and a silver toe ring.

i understand what everyone is saying and you all have good points!!!! im just blown away by my lack of gold ring finds this year! i have about 7 years experiance and feel like i know what im doing but i am begining to doubt my methods/skills and machines. i have the mumbles as max would say!!!!!!!!!! i am doing alot of the things you guys have suggested and feel like i know what im doing but.....? i am used to freshwater lake hunting and eastcoast deep soft sand and waves are a whole different ball game for sure! i grid, hunt the main, hunt the edges, hunt early, late and by the tides but it does not seem to matter.

i agree, alot of the gold looking bling is probably fake, tungsten, titanium etc:

experianced detectorists with big coils that i see are usually swinging 8 inches off the sand and up in the air at the end of each swing!

i flat out do not believe the excal vs cz chart but i will check my cz and excal as soon as possible!

please excuse my whining,mumble and moaning about the lack of gold rings im finding. tired now, going to bed and plan on hunting low tide in the morning.
chuck.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeker, here's a recent study relating to the effects of swing speed VS depth on the CZ-21 with 10.5 and the Excal 800 with the stock 7 1/2" coil. This information is important to realize when water hunting where resistance can slow the swing speed of the coil. You would think that the CZ with the 10.5 coil would be the deeper machine VS the stock 7 1/2 inch coil on the Excalibur, but it simply isn't true.

View attachment 660926
I did an airtest with my CZ21 10.5 inch coil using the same settings as chart. Mine hit on a 2.0 gram 10k yellow gold band at 5...6...and 7 inches using a slow, medium and fast swing. I got me a hot one boys!!!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did an airtest with my CZ21 10.5 inch coil using the same settings as chart. Mine hit on a 2.0 gram 10k yellow gold band at 5...6...and 7 inches using a slow, medium and fast swing. I got me a hot one boys!!!

Would be interesting to compare CZ VS CZ using same exact swing speeds sometime. Did you try a white gold? The point of the chart is simply a comparison as to how swing speed effects machines differently, the effect being significantly more noticeable on the CZ.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be interesting to compare CZ VS CZ using same exact swing speeds sometime. Did you try a white gold? The point of the chart is simply a comparison as to how swing speed effects machines differently, the effect being significantly more noticeable on the CZ.
Didnt try white gold, but Ive got one I can test. I know the chart was showing effects of swing speed but the depth on the 3.5 gram ring got my attention. After doing my test Im a happy camper.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didnt try white gold, but Ive got one I can test. I know the chart was showing effects of swing speed but the depth on the 3.5 gram ring got my attention. After doing my test Im a happy camper.

I wasn't charting chirps or intermittent signals, but rather only clear repeatable responses. Also, your version of slow, moderate & fast is probably a bit different then mine. But of the CZ's with the 10.5 coil that I have tested, most produced similar results as to what is shown on the chart. Let me know how you fair with the White gold. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread