More beach questions

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I stated previously, this is my first summer beach hunting. I've had pretty good success thanks in part to this forum. I am still asking myself one thing every time I hit the beach though. I here a lot of people saying..."the gold is in the water". I usually hit the beach at low tide and hunt the areas occupied by swimmers when the tide is in. The 3 gold rings I've found this summer have been around the half way mark between the hide tide line and low tide line. I guess my question is, If I want to increase my finds, should I still be getting into the surf at low tide. I'm hunting mainly on beaches in Jacksonville Florida and the surf makes it extremly difficult to keep the coil down and target recovery extremely difficult also......I'm usually out of the water in 30 minutes after losing patients and back to working cuts and low spots on the beach. Would like to here any input...

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Books have been written on surf and beach hunting with info on how sand moves. Each beach is different in shape depending on the seasons and weather. Beach goers too are a varied bunch of depositers. You can learn much from the master of beach hunting, Norman Garnush. :headbang:

The Golden Olde

Good point! I've noticed somewhat of a change in clientele at my area the beaches this summer. Most seem to be local (Florida), blue collar folks, not as many out of state tourist.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
bigscoop said:
Good point! I've noticed somewhat of a change in clientele at my area the beaches this summer. Most seem to be local (Florida), blue collar folks, not as many out of state tourist.

Do you still see a big play during college spring break, or has that slacked off too?

M

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you still see a big play during college spring break, or has that slacked off too?

M

Beach is still crowded during the spring break period, but not as many out of state vehicles on the beaches. I'm sure some of them are rentals but last year I was seeing "a lot" of out of state plates, not so this year.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add, I'm at New Smyrna and not at say, Daytona where there is a lot more "spring breaker" attractions. New Smyrna is typically much quieter in regards to the spring break season. It has good surfing conditions most of the time, but other then that the water/surf is typically rougher and not as clear as other Florida spring break destinations. Most of the summer traffic here is local (Florida) people from say, Orlando, who just want to spend some time at the beach. Even during bike week I see very little evidence of it on the actual beach.

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Do you guys think steeper beaches make their deposits out in deeeper water? The reason I ask is I find a lot more on the flat beaches working the wet sand out to waist deep. On the steep beaches there isnt much to find out to waist deep and I started thinking its because the backwash is so powerfull and the beach so steep finds are tumbling out into much deeper water.Ive lost a few things Ive uncovered but not got into the scoop and then it disapears probably getting pulled out into deeper water?

beckleeson

Jul 19, 2012
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
TESORO Cutlass II µMAX , TESORO Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question, rings and jewelry can get pushed up on the wet sand, even if it was dropped while swimming though right?

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question, rings and jewelry can get pushed up on the wet sand, even if it was dropped while swimming though right?
From what I understand, heavy jewelry items will continue to sink until they reach the hardpan. Hardpan is either a dense clay layer or bedrock. The wave action erodes the sand exposing the hardpan and JACKPOT! you're in business. I would imagine maybe lighter pendants and earrings could possibly be pushed.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Only during a major storm, most times they sink like Willie says... I think it depends on the surf conditions at the time they are lost. If it is fairly calm I think they will stay close to where they are lost, till a storm or riptide comes along, if they are lost during rough surf conditions they can move a long ways before they settle...... Lost jewelry does not just get moved ashore...Several years back a riptide tore a huge hole in a beach in the water, there were over a hundred rings pulled out of that hole..... Hole was at least 40 foot wide and maybe 40 yards long...Some of the rings dated back to the early 20's.

Thing about wet sand to remember is it was under water on the last high tide and people were still in the water if it was daylight hours.........

Willie it was good to run into you there at Clearwater....:hello:

Last edited:

beckleeson

Jul 19, 2012
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
TESORO Cutlass II µMAX , TESORO Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks WillieD & Treasure_Hunter, that's exactly what i'v been wanting to know!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread