Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: More beach questions

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Shawn

Apr 2012
    Saint Marys Georgia
    Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
    390 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

More beach questions

As I stated previously, this is my first summer beach hunting. I've had pretty good success thanks in part to this forum. I am still asking myself one thing every time I hit the beach though. I here a lot of people saying..."the gold is in the water". I usually hit the beach at low tide and hunt the areas occupied by swimmers when the tide is in. The 3 gold rings I've found this summer have been around the half way mark between the hide tide line and low tide line. I guess my question is, If I want to increase my finds, should I still be getting into the surf at low tide. I'm hunting mainly on beaches in Jacksonville Florida and the surf makes it extremly difficult to keep the coil down and target recovery extremely difficult also......I'm usually out of the water in 30 minutes after losing patients and back to working cuts and low spots on the beach. Would like to here any input...
    fredinbelize likes this.
    2013 Totals

us
    Jul 2005
    Close enough to the beach
    **Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
    158 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    It's true, the gold is in the water, but the gold is also every where else. I've found gold in chest deep water and I've found it on the way to the parking lot.

I see you're using a PI detector, so dry sand would not be advisable, but I've had good hunts in the dry sand.

If the surf is that rough, then I don't know if I would dedicate too much time there. The wear and tear on you and your detector wouldn't be worth it IMO.

My Sov GT w/WOT coil gets awesome depth in the wet sand and shallow surf as well as letting me hunt the dry sand.

Good luck out there.
    fredinbelize, kiana7 and Sandman like this.

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9714 times
    Something some people weem to forget are the tides, the wet sand on the beach was underwater on the last high tide.......... I hunt water and wet sand. I look to see where the most people are at and hunt there. I try to always huntt he water, but if I'm not getting any hits I move to the water line and wet sand... 2 of my nice finds have come from the sand right in front of the steps to the showers/restrooms..... People bundle up their stuff to go wash off and drop it on the way.....

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Aug 2012
    Central Illinois
    Garrett AT Pro
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    Something some people weem to forget are the tides, the wet sand on the beach was underwater on the last high tide.......... I hunt water and wet sand. I look to see where the most people are at and hunt there. I try to always huntt he water, but if I'm not getting any hits I move to the water line and wet sand... 2 of my nice finds have come from the sand right in front of the steps to the showers/restrooms..... People bundle up their stuff to go wash off and drop it on the way.....
    Thanks for the insight!

gb
    Fred

May 2007
    Huntington Beach,CA
    Ace250 Whites Surf PI Pro
    534 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    All I know is that if you are not looking you won't be finding.
    I sometimes get overwhelmed by the size of the beach, but I just keep chippiing away..
    beckleeson, Sandman and kiana7 like this.
    Flip-flops are fine, but barefoot is best!

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3494 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hag730 View Post
    As I stated previously, this is my first summer beach hunting. I've had pretty good success thanks in part to this forum. I am still asking myself one thing every time I hit the beach though. I here a lot of people saying..."the gold is in the water". I usually hit the beach at low tide and hunt the areas occupied by swimmers when the tide is in. The 3 gold rings I've found this summer have been around the half way mark between the hide tide line and low tide line. I guess my question is, If I want to increase my finds, should I still be getting into the surf at low tide. I'm hunting mainly on beaches in Jacksonville Florida and the surf makes it extremly difficult to keep the coil down and target recovery extremely difficult also......I'm usually out of the water in 30 minutes after losing patients and back to working cuts and low spots on the beach. Would like to here any input...
    Short answer - YES, you need to get wet! At Low Tide, you need to be knee-hip deep at least. Think about this statistic, 97-percent of beach detectorists NEVER get in the water past their ankles. Yes, we have ALL had dry sand gold, but I pull four pieces of gold out of knee-to-waist deep low tide water, for every one I find in the dry or wet sand.

us
    Oct 2010
    South Florida near that place
    2 times
    Get wet. Though I agree. I hate the swells and waves knocking me around. Knee deep is about it for me. I NEED to get chest deep in one area. As I have been told
    a guy was looking for his wife's $28K ring a few weeks back. I know he rented a MD from a store around here. It's unlikely he found it.

Keep it, ask for reward or just hand it back, that assuming I can find it. What would you do?
    There is a river of wealth that runs through the world.
    Many can see if from atop the mountains.
    Others can almost reach it from the edge.
    And a few lucky are swimming in it.
    The secret is those swimming in it also CONTROL ACCESS.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3494 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugrusher View Post
    Get wet. Though I agree. I hate the swells and waves knocking me around. Knee deep is about it for me. I NEED to get chest deep in one area. As I have been told
    a guy was looking for his wife's $28K ring a few weeks back. I know he rented a MD from a store around here. It's unlikely he found it.

Keep it, ask for reward or just hand it back, that assuming I can find it. What would you do?
    Give it back with a camera crew in tow!
    Sandman likes this.

us
    Shawn

Apr 2012
    Saint Marys Georgia
    390 times
    If I found that......I'd probably just pass out in the water.
    2013 Totals

us
    Dec 2009
    New Jersey
    CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
    214 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    You really need to be familar with the beaches you hunt. Just hunting low tide no matter how far you go won't produce anything if the ocean had dragged sand down from the beach. You need to be observent of what the beach looks like each visit. if you live close by don't ever pass the oportunity to get out and look even if your not going to hunt right then. We all love the nice low tide at 5am but we need to remember that all the beach goers were swiming at 11 am to 3pm and it was hight tide. fresh drops will be much higher up that week durring low. Older drops will be further out in the neck deep water durring low tide. These will not be the top picks and require good knowalge of your detector, PP skills.
    Keep reading and apply some of these great tips being offered up.
    BCNJ
    lorraine, Sandman and kiana7 like this.

us
    Jul 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Sand Shark 10.5 coil, RTG Pro 6" scoop.
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Short answer - YES, you need to get wet! At Low Tide, you need to be knee-hip deep at least. Think about this statistic, 97-percent of beach detectorists NEVER get in the water past their ankles. Yes, we have ALL had dry sand gold, but I pull four pieces of gold out of knee-to-waist deep low tide water, for every one I find in the dry or wet sand.
    Hi Terry: I've only hunted 3 times here on the south shore of LI and I've been in the water, at least crotch deep but I've found it very difficult to scan the seabead because the current keeps pulling the Sea Shark and makes it difficult to dig with my RTG scoop. Can you give me any pointers?

Thanks.....Lew

us
    Shawn

Apr 2012
    Saint Marys Georgia
    390 times
    Thanks for the insight gentlemen...
    2013 Totals

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LewieMD View Post
    Hi Terry: I've only hunted 3 times here on the south shore of LI and I've been in the water, at least crotch deep but I've found it very difficult to scan the seabead because the current keeps pulling the Sea Shark and makes it difficult to dig with my RTG scoop. Can you give me any pointers?

Thanks.....Lew
    I'm not Terry, but I recommend you use the surf to aid you as much as possible, if there is a current or surf, swing the coil towards the shore when the current is flowing in, and towards the ocean when it is flowing back to the sea...

One you have a target place the your toe or toe of your boot at the back of the coil when you have it pinpointed, move the coil and start digging with your scoop at that point............. Surf hunting is not for everyone, it isnt easy, but the potential for gold is higher than on land.......
    Sandman and kiana7 like this.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Jul 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Sand Shark 10.5 coil, RTG Pro 6" scoop.
    1 times
    Thanks Treasure_Hunter. Appreciate the advice.

gb
    Fred

May 2007
    Huntington Beach,CA
    Ace250 Whites Surf PI Pro
    534 times
    Good luck.
    Flip-flops are fine, but barefoot is best!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors