Florida Panhandle

2muchstuff

Dec 27, 2007
Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just came back from Miramar Beach. I live 750 miles from the beach but over the years I have discovered that I have better luck in front of the fancier homes than the resorts. You would think that you would have better luck on the public and resort beaches where there are more people. Now maybe someone who lives down there could jump in here and give some better insight.

OP
OP
A

ALD

Greenie
Jul 26, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny. I just got back about a week ago from gulf shores and hunted in front of the homes and got about .50 cents and a matchbox car in about 4 days.

afchap

Apr 10, 2012
Hoover Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Garrett 150, White's Eagle Spectrum, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Fort Walton Beach and hunt the beaches a couple of times per week (dry sand & water, public & in front of condos) and have found that the pickings are pretty slim - maybe an occasional small ring here and there, but not much. Also a few coins, car keys & cell phone or two, but certainly not like some of the posts on here where there seems to be a ring with every wave. Fortunately, I do it mainly for exercise, and not for how much gold I can find, or it would really get frustrating. Good luck...

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are military (or retired) I would suggest the NAS Pensacola military park/campground (you stare across the bay to Alabama). There has to be an escudo or an officer's ring there somewhere on the beach.

afchap

Apr 10, 2012
Hoover Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am retired USAF Colonel & live right outside Eglin AFB. BUT, hunting on most military reservations (even parks) is illegal. The Eglin security police have told me that I can't hunt the beaches on Eglin. Don't want to mess with those guys!

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good call, afchap....and congrats on retiring from USAF. I didn't think about that. I worked on the reservation doing an environmental remediation dig a few years ago. It was the first time I have ever seen FL coastline that is dark at night.

I don't remember seeing anyone other than campers and maintenance around the property but I'd bet you're right.

afchap

Apr 10, 2012
Hoover Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gordon, Your're right. It is DARK out on the reservation at night, and scary too. You never know what crazies are out there. In my posts, I'm referring to the beaches (swimmings areas) that are INSIDE the base, over by the famcamp and rec facilities - not down on the gulf beaches. I'll bet there is a potload of stuff on their swimming beach & in the water, but I've been told that my detector (waterproof) may affect the munitions at the EOD school. LOL...but they are the boss.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread