Are you Sitting Down? My best jewelry Find in 38 Years!

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been sitting on this post for a few hunts. I have shared this with a few here.I recovered this baby out of a 5 ft cut!
So how long it was there days weeks years? I made an effort and searched Lost and
Found ads. I checked with the head life guard (without tipping my hat) for any lost valuables,
only rings and smaller stuff have been reported this season.

100 Grams of White Gold and Diamonds 3.53 onces!
14k 26in White Gold Chain (67.7g)
18k White Gold Pendant (32.3g) 5 1/2 tcw of Diamonds
MSRP $16000.00
An Online Jeweler Has the chain at 3100 and the pendant at 5200
Here's how it unfolded.
I retrieved a phone message about some beach cuts forming late Wednesday night. The earliest I could get
out was 7pm Thursday for a low at 942pm. What I found was a 3 1/2 foot cut. My plan was to slowly
hunting towards the more populated beach.Well my plan went out to lunch when another hunter entered in behind me.
We knew each other and our intentions.But I just could not pass up targets. So I stuck to my plan and I waved him on
through, and he just took off! He had a good hour plus hunting the targeted area before I even got within a 1/2 mile
of him. He had been scooting (running) up and down the beach and I was hunting my
ever so slow pace. Up and back from what was now a 5ft cut. This cut must have happened
very quickly as it was voided of trampling feet! By this time I had about 40 coins.
My fellow hunter was now knee deep in the water (God bless him). Where did he think all that sand went?
We passed several times. I had finally figured out the line
of targets was 12 ft from the cut. I shorten my grid. He move further south to another beach.
It was shortly after that I got one of those burps (Excalibur) There were signs of shells and
pebbles from his recent recovery,and foot prints. It had sounded like a bottle top but trash wasn't being found!
I was not sure where it came from. (And neither did the Excal) I stopped and searched with
no responce. I ran the scoop over the coil to regain the tone.But then there was no mistaken that low tone.
I rescanned the target several times, each pass sounded even better.
I made sure of a good PP and my first scoop produce a good 10 inches of solid packed sand and nothing else.
My second one as I was pulling the T-Rex scoop out I saw something get pulled out of the scoop.
In what was a split second I thought that was odd,who did that and I think that was the target.
Followed by its a chain still in the sand. I reached in the now deep hole and held
the cross and 6 inches of chain and tugged a bit but it tugged back.
I started to dig with my hand and the chain was 20 inches straight down.
It took a few hand fulls and the chain slid out. My first thoughts were wow this is heavy but silver or
SS and not to get my hopes up.I tried to look for marks but the sea mist had my glasses fogged.
I placed it in my neck pouch and continued hunting. Ya right, back out it came for another look!
This proved silly. The other hunter came back by and stopped to say the other beach had no cut and
was surpriced to the lack of targets with the cut he was heading back. (total coins for me 113)
I hunted 3 more hours. In the car there was just no way my glasses were going to cooperate.
I dove down the road holding and looking at each traffic light. I finally noticed three safety locks and
just knew then they don't do this to SS or silver. Funny thing was I weight it first when
I got home,then looked for any marks. The chain was clearly marked 14k and I did an acid test on both.
It wasn't till I looked up the pieces online did I realized that the cross only came in 18k so a new acid test
confirmed this.
BCNJ

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 1,738
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 1,701
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 1,548
Upvote 1

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what an amazing find! Again...Wow, what an amazing find!
Kiinda speechless...
Great story to go with it.

Edit: I'm thinking BANNER!

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shazzzzzzam! Well, that certainly goes way beyond, "honker!" Congrats! :icon_thumleft: Did you need help dragging it ashore? :laughing7:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from the pasific north west - no hunting like this around here.

When you say a "cut" - is this natural erosion of a sand wall you are referring to?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here on the east coast we generally have a lot of sand that gets built up on our beaches. Any change in the surf/current direction or force can often produce what we call cuts, erosion yes, but very quick and then usually gone again as the surf/currents return to normal. Our sandy beaches are being reshaped and the sand is always being moved around. Not really what you might see as erosion, but more like removed and redistributed each time the surf/current conditions change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
I am from the pasific north west - no hunting like this around here.

When you say a "cut" - is this natural erosion of a sand wall you are referring to?
Like bigscoop said we gets cuts here on the east coast. Depending on the way your beach faces the winds blowing we tend to see the soft sand cut right out.
This picture is of a storm event we had here in NJ back in 2009 Daine is seen working near the cut. My cut was the same height in July of 2012 but right at the high tide mark. Not way up from a storm event.

Attachments

• nice cut.jpg
    nice cut.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
WOWIE!!! That is an amazing story and a super -amazing , beautiful treasure find!:wav:

Excellent detecting, BCNJ!:headbang:

Lorraine

Apr 22, 2011
Long Island, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Excal II
Coinmaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TOTALY AMAZING!
Your description of this find goes right along with what I have been reading in Clive Clynick's books. I hope to master my new Eczal like you have.
TOTlY AMAZING!
Banner.

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG!! Thats a honker. Thats over 3k in scrap. That would never be scrapped if it was mine thu. Way to nice of a piece. I'm sure the person that lost it was very sick to there stomach. Good for you.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I wasn't sitting down,but,when I saw that,I FELL DOWN!!!!!!! Awesome,just AWESOME!!! God Bless Chris

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find...thats going on the banner...one of the best finds Ive ever seen.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More pics please...I cant stop looking at it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like Tony's chain, the rest if him can be found about 3 miles out tied to an anchor. I told him to keep his mouth shut but he didn't wanna listen, now he's sleeping with the fishes. :laughing7:

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome find ! :hello2: :occasion14:
I nominated you for a banner.
I also hit the beach this morning that had about a 2 ft. cut with my ATP. There was also another guy there before me with an Excal. I talked to him but he didn't know anything about the forums so I guess it wasn't you Buried Crap.
I ordered Clive's book last week and it's in the mail. Maybe I shoulda taken out my Excal, but I didn't know it that well because I just got it and was more confident with the ATP.
So I guess you work the cut a few feet back, towards the surf?
That's mistake#2 for me then, I worked right in front of the cut and along the face of it.:icon_scratch:

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive never voted anything for a banner...but i just did that thing hurts my eyes its so beautiful absolutley amazing congrats :icon_salut:

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! awsome... Who takes something like that to the beach???

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a story and What a find. Spectacular!! Congratulations!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread