How often do you hunt the same beach?

OP
OP
Nutriasub

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
Just was wondering how often would you hunt the same beach during the summer?
The ones I'm hunting have people every day, but they are small coves, and I was wondering what would be advisable in order to find something...
Thanks

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The first pig to the trouth gets the corn. How often you go to the trouth looking for food is up to you...... ;-)

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a rotation of about 6 or 8 beaches that I hit. I also like to try new spots every now and again. Sometimes it is suprising what you can find at a not so populated beach. Nice to hunt sometimes for 3 whole hours on the weekend and not see another detectorist. Definitely a far cry from Clearwater Beach :) Although CWB is on my rotation, I tend to do much better at the less hunted beaches :) Aaron

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just was wondering how often would you hunt the same beach during the summer?
The ones I'm hunting have people every day, but they are small coves, and I was wondering what would be advisable in order to find something...
Thanks

When I lived up north I hunted a lot of small beaches, down here it's all pretty much one huge beach separated by river mouths. But a gold ring is only about an inch in diameter and it can be lost anywhere at anytime and easily missed, on even the smaller beaches. I know this isn't much help but the point is simply that a gold or silver ring, an old coin, etc., might turn up anywhere at any moment.

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
I have to totally agree with Bigscoop.
It is very easy to over think things,

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you hunt in the water at all, sometimes people sit in shallow water and play with there kids and loose things coins/ jewlery. Happy hunting.:icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have huge beaches here in Florida most cases. There is no way they get hunted out, but the gold sinks and lots of fresh sand here, no storms to move it......Lots of gold here you just have to get a coil over it when it isn't under 3+ feet of fresh sand.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
I hunt the same few beaches over and over. I see so many of the same hunters over and over. Its not too far fetched to say these same beaches see 30 to 40 hunters weekly during the fresh drop season. My reason for hunting the same beach is location to home and the odds. The main beach sees 500 depositors daily and it goes to 3000 on the weekends. The other popular beaches in the area see 100 daily 700 on the weekends. In my close little group (8) we each seem to pull 15-25 gold rings a year with the added pendants and chains,silver rings mixed in. The other 32 hunters must be doing OK too! I have to say when I venture to the non popular beaches that see both less hunters and less depositors. This season I seem to have a better single day hunts at these locations. But during the hunting season Oct through Mar. I hit every beach within 100 miles on a rotation based on tide and storms. If the concern is about competition,targets,and redeposits, it should not be. First off stop and check out the competition many times these are coin hunters looking to score there 15 bucks in clad and scoot. I see these hunters as a godsent, they do a terrific job of skimming the top drops.(not what I am looking for) On a rare occasion they hit a ring. Many times they have there coils 6 to 10 inches off the ground and there discrimination so high. Don't get me wrong this can and is very lucrative hunting. Next comes targets there will always be targets. Finds/targets will always be depended on conditions. This hobby gives the meaning to "you should have been here yesterday" I have recovered 250 coins one day and the very next day 30. It wasn't cause I found them all the first day. It was cause of wind tide rain moon should I continue! Now on to the depositors. If we had any clue to when they were going to loose there stuff this would be an easy hobby. They loose stuff every day and some stuff gets found the same day and sometimes 30 years later or more!
BCNJ

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being able to hit the closest beach has its advantages in saved travel time and gas. But since fun of the hunt comes into play it is exciting to hit other beaches farther away. I have a board with a list of beaches in my area in a circle with a pointer that spins to point to which beach I should hunt that day. I sometimes let Karma decide where I should hunt.

lostlugnut

Greenie
May 16, 2012
Emerald Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being able to hit the closest beach has its advantages in saved travel time and gas. But since fun of the hunt comes into play it is exciting to hit other beaches farther away. I have a board with a list of beaches in my area in a circle with a pointer that spins to point to which beach I should hunt that day. I sometimes let Karma decide where I should hunt.

Now thats what I am going to have to do. :occasion14:

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
I only have had my Pi dual for two weeks. When I first got it I did a beach up the street form my NJ store and found one gold ring and a large assortment of trash and coins. I drag my foot in a line as I do the entire area in front of the lifeguard stand so I can see what I covered and I dont miss a spot. I went back a couple days ago and the beach was ridiculously clean. I found a few coins and fresh beer caps but I was suprised at how eficiently I had cleaned it two weeks ago. I work each lifeguard stand from the high tide marks down into waist deep water at low tide. I havent done well at all in between lifeguard stands. There are about 18 lifeguard stands in the town Im in so now I am just rotating to a diferent stand every day. With the Whites PI Im digging down to 20 inches. If we get a big storm I will head back to beaches that I already did recently.

OP
OP
Nutriasub

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
You guys were totally right!
I went back today to the second beach I hunted about 10 days ago, I got one gold, one unknown (it's a wedding band so we'll see), and some coins.
I will hit the other beaches as well!
Thanks for all the advice

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another reason to hit a local beach often...... you keep it clean. If someone has to make a road trip of an hour or so and every time they go to your beach they fill their pocket with gold..... they keep coming back. Keep it clean and you get you locals hunting it mostly..... and you still get your fair share. I bounce around a good bit and can tell which are being hunted.

Dew

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Im the only one Ive seen all summer in my town with a waterproof machine. All the other guys I see are up in the dry sand where I never go; swinging 8 inches off the ground. I know I should try up in the sand, but there is only so much time in the day when you work 12/7 , I spend all my time in the water.

Last edited:

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only get out X# times a year.
I always try to revisit a beach each year where I have found goodies in the past..
A cleaned up beach gets easier to hunt and I can zerow in on those faint deep targets.
Throw in a couple of new spots each season and then the snow starts flying again.
My trash bucket overflows and I start all over.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
The beaches I hunt in Punta Sabbioni through Cavalino Italy are very heavy traffic for international tourism & alcoholism. LOL

In six years I have never seen another hunter on those beaches, I had some African immigrants think it would be a good idea to rob me but they forgot their gun and I always have mine.

So since there are no other hunters apart from the occasional robber, I hunt the entire season I am there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread