CZ-21 and black sand...

thinkin2

Mar 30, 2007
James Island, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
Hi all. I haven't been around for quite some time but planning to get back out there. For those of you hunting with the CZ-21, will it ground balance okay in heavy black sand or do you just have to put up with a little instability? Also which coil would you suggest? Thanks for any help. Location is Charleston SC area mostly if that helps any. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

thinkin2

Mar 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
Thanks, MBbeachrat. Was set to buy one but then saw a guy with a cz3d who was having some problems with the black sand. Figured , but not sure, that cz3d and 21 would be pretty much the same aside from waterproofing of 21. Maybe the problem was operator error or he had a problem with the unit. Thanks a lot for your response.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CZ3d is not a CZ21. It is one freq. and has no saltwater mode. CZ21 is in permenant saltwater mode where the CZ6a its land version has a mode switch. Granted black sand can also vary in concentrations just as salt can. The 21 is the better choice in the smaller coil, but I would still opt for the larger coil for area covered. View attachment CZ-21.bmp

OP
OP
T

thinkin2

Mar 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
Sandman, I looked it up in the manual and the cz3d, according to the manual, is 5 and 15khz and has a salt mode? Are you maybe thinking about something else?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt In New england sands - we have the heaviest black sand bEaches probably
I use a CZ21and Cz20 (for about the last 4 yrs) - see my video and photo albums and tell me how I do with CZ21
Flickr: casperther's Photostream

OP
OP
T

thinkin2

Mar 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
Thanks, Casper. Can't argue with your video, thanks for posting it. Do you have any problems at all with ground balancing or any tips to offer on settings? Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman, I looked it up in the manual and the cz3d, according to the manual, is 5 and 15khz and has a salt mode? Are you maybe thinking about something else?

Yes the 3d does use three frequencies and you can choose which one, but only one at a time like the Tejon, AT Pro and a few others. The CZ20 and 21 put out TWO at the same time. This is why it operates in saltwater environments so well.:coffee2:

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thinkin2 "Thanks, Casper. Can't argue with your video, thanks for posting it. Do you have any problems at all with ground balancing or any tips to offer on settings?"
thing is if I tell you how I set mine and what I do - and some one does and doesnt find anything - they make me look like a stooge
setting preferances and detecting style - is a personal thing - what works for one doesnt always work for all
good example - I use my Pi probably different than most out there - and I have done great with it too
Im in different soil than you - similar maybe but still different
I set my CZ21 ground around 5-6 all the time
95% of the time this allows me to hunt with my sensitivity around 8-9 and hunt with a hum
but i hunt in all metal 98% of the time
I check certain signals by clicking to zero and using ID mode (just click quick and click back to all metal )
I have a system that works for me
for the most part i dig 99% of targets - I try to take it all out when i can
but have hit some spots that are really trashed and will cherry pick when i have lack of time
I have smaller coil - had a freind with large one and he had a real bad time with pinpointing - especially on shallow targets

OP
OP
T

thinkin2

Mar 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
Thanks for the reply, Casper. I understand your concerns but from watching your video I don't think anybody could ever make you look like a stooge. Still, you've been a big help and I really appreciate it.

Sandman, what the cz3d manual states is that it puts out multiple frequencies and processes at 5 and 15khz like the other cz's. What you're saying would make sense why the guy was having problems I guess but it doesn't jive with what the specs say about the unit. Also, in looking at the picture of the machine as well as reading about it there doesn't appear to be any way to select which frequency to use? Sorry, not trying to be argumentative and really appreciate your help and time but if you could point me to something to clear this up I would appreciate it. I'm getting a little confused about the 3d now. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread