Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My hunting lately has been pretty dismal. It's been about 8 hunts since I've found gold, so you can imagine that the pressure was on for last nights hunt.

Jason and I hit a local beach that's paid well over the last couple of seasons I've been on Okinawa. We haven't hit it much this year because we're letting it stockpile up for the winter low tides.... hoping to milk it through the cold season.

I arrived before Jason did and hit some dry sand. After I dug a 100 yen coin, I hear a nice repeatable low tone... but I could tell it was small. After kicking the sand around I find this tiny gold colored heart.

011-6.jpg

For such a small size, it was rather heavy. Surely it had to be gold, but I couldn't see any writing on it. Ah well, I'll acid test it when I get home.

Jason shows up within 5 minutes after that and we discuss the strategy for the night. We hit the water and proceed to deeper water so we could hunt as the tide went out. Within 10 minutes I had a banger sound that was really shallow. Imagine my surprise when this thing winds up in my scoop.
008-16.jpg
008-16.jpg

Stamped 14k and weighing in at 3.5 grams, it's a pretty respectable weight and will add nicely to my gold stash. I really hunted the surrounding area hoping to find the necklace it was attached to, but no such luck. Maybe next time it'll show up. :laughing7:

The rest of the hunt was nominal... the coins weren't in extreme numbers, but I almost made my daily goal of 2,000 yen.... actually coming in at 1,883 for the night ($23.50 US)

013-5.jpg

When I got home, I acid tested the small gold heart that I found. It passed the 18k level, so I was pleased.... but after I put the loupe on it, I could see some writing on it.

"Tiffany & Co 750" Wow... 18k and it's a name brand piece. Too bad I couldn't find the necklace it was attached to.
Thowing it on the scale, it weighed in at 1.0 grams.... Hey... it all adds up, and I brought my average down some for Hunts:gold/platinum

It was pretty late, so I told Jason that I was going to hunt some dry sand again before I left. He was staying later than me, so I wanted to let him know it wouldn't be long before I left. The dry sand proved useless this time around, and I hit some wet sand on my way to wash my gear off.

Got a banger signal close to the high tide line.... and scooped a stupid pulltab. About 3 feet away was another banger too. "Another pulltab I'm sure".... but this beauty came up from the sand instead.

012-3.jpg

I'm not complaining... it's silver and in a nice new condition. I just don't get excited with silver these days. It all goes in a pile.... and I have a rather large pile so far this year.

So there you have it.... a nice 'average' hunt for Okinawa. Hope you enjoyed it :icon_thumright: Until next time.... SWING ON

Last edited:
Upvote 0

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BP,

Very nice! Gold and Silver can't complain with that!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds - bet chain is still out there

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exellent finds, Love that old pendant.:icon_thumleft:

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some nice finds. I really like the design on that ring, it's really pretty.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that 3.5 pendant, beautiful workmanship! Great hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread