Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think ive saw more class rings returned this year than ever before. Its a personal thing, some do some dont. I try to return those i can.... especially to those STILL in HS. Ive not returned one yet to a young student that didnt appreciate it. I got this reply today from the young lady whose ring will be returned soon..... tell me this dont make you feel like you are doing the right thing?

Dew

Hi. This is chelsea Mr. Vonada is my school principal. He forwarded me the email that you sent him regarding you finding my class ring on the beach. You have no idea how much this means to me. I have been worried sick over it. If we could arrange a way for you to get it to me that would be awesome. I have friends that live down there, and you could give it to them, or you could just mail it to me from your house. It is totally up to you. Just please let me know what would be easiest for you.

Thank you again!
Chelsea

Upvote 0

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've returned my share and I know what you mean. Like you said "Its a personal thing, some do some don't" You will probably forget about this return over time but I bet Chelsea will never forget and she is probably really happy that one of the one's that "do" found it. WTG :icon_thumleft:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Karma will take care of you...it will also take care of those that keep rings they could return...but it will take care of them in a different way.

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG,,awesome story feels good to do the right thing:hello2:

mike3366

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story ! Wish there were more posts about returns like this or even the mention that an effort to return was made .

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I'm sure most appreciate getting them back. some just show their appreciation better than others! congrats Dewy!!

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's really nice that you try to return them. I've only found one class ring so far. After contacting the school, they figured out who it belonged to, but told me she transferred to another school. They promised they would call that school and give her my contact information, but no call from her yet. They won't tell me what school she transferred to (guess they are worried I might be a stalker or something - at barely 5 feet tall I am very intimidating lol). Any ideas for tracking her down? I'm not really convinced that they will try very hard to find her.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tngirl..... sometimes you can only go so far if no one is willing to go the extra mile like you are trying to do.

dew

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tngirl very dangerous keep good eye on her haha took me 6 months to convince a principle i wasnt a pedophile then only took a couple hours to get the info i needed. I love the look on peoples faces when they get it back

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's really nice that you try to return them. I've only found one class ring so far. After contacting the school, they figured out who it belonged to, but told me she transferred to another school. They promised they would call that school and give her my contact information, but no call from her yet. They won't tell me what school she transferred to (guess they are worried I might be a stalker or something - at barely 5 feet tall I am very intimidating lol). Any ideas for tracking her down? I'm not really convinced that they will try very hard to find her.
Youve done what you can...if you dont have the persons whole name just keep the ring and dont worry about it.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I got an idea. Let it go. Case it or scrap it.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The funny thing about my ring returns is that within a week or so of each of my ring returns, I found another gold ring. I guess it is good Karma. I normally do not take a reward but saw recently that one guy asked that if they wanted to they could give a donation to the club....That is a great idea!

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to hear about returning. Unfortunately sometimes it can't be done. Once I called a school in Tampa and told them I had 2 class rings from their school. They informed me they were too busy to bother with that. My brother in law who is a teacher went to the school with the rings and they shrugged him off also. After a year I sent them in to be melted.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well..... i got that impression at first from the principal. I had sent my 3rd Email with no reply. Then i noticed his WIFE was also working at the school. Soooo guess what i did? Got a response the same day.

Dew

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Where I hunt in Italy, a find must be turned in to the local police station. After 30 days the judge releases the unclaimed property to the finder with legal documents.

I save my finds and turn them in weekly, if I did this daily it would just be too time consuming. Sadly though know one has ever claimed anything I brought to the station. Must be nice to not care about a hundred thousand dollar watch. LOL

An average year will turn out about 30K Euros (45k USD) in gold spot, 3K Euros (4.3k USD) in silver spot and about 17 very high valued time pieces.

But if I tried to hunt during peak hours of the day, I could find a million owners to the same piece. Odd like that....

Nice job in getting something back to someone, those kids probably worked very hard to save that cash for such a ring...

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddjob..... you make 45K a year detecting??? With that kind of money id think in Italy you could live off that? The American dollar used to go pretty far when i was there.... many moons ago. Interesting concept...... kids working and saving money. Not like it used to be there arent a lot of say summer jobs for kids any more. I think calling it the ME generation fits..... they are given a lot now days.

Dew

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Oddjob..... you make 45K a year detecting??? With that kind of money id think in Italy you could live off that? The American dollar used to go pretty far when i was there.... many moons ago. Interesting concept...... kids working and saving money. Not like it used to be there arent a lot of say summer jobs for kids any more. I think calling it the ME generation fits..... they are given a lot now days.

Dew

No I make more than that. But in Euros.. The USD in Europe is crap these days. My retirement keeps me afloat in the three countries I live in through out the year. Earnings from the hobby just goes to new quarterly equipment, taxes paid in three countries and what ever toys & trips my family wishes to take.

Europe these days are much better than just five, ten or fifteen years ago if you have ambition.

You make a trip over then contact me and I will show where I go. I have never seen another hunter in Italy and in Spain they are seen but rarely, in Germany and Luxembourg they are just hunting crap WW2 relics.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Inspiring post, Dewcon ; you did well. Your integrity is to be admired!

Lorraine

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find and return.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread