TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone else had this problem? I bought my Excal ii four months ago and the battery pod case is cracking where the plug attaches. I know its a manufacture defect because I've taken good care of it and that part of the battery is always protected.I've sent an email in to Minelab about it. It's still working for now. Two of the switch cover inserts have come off also.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TENNESSEEGAL

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a reply. They want me to send my battery in before they send me the replacement. (Insert whine here). How long will I be out of action?. Seeing how I'm a gal and only tighten it with my fingers, I really doubt I caused the crack to happen from over tightening as was suggested in the response I got. I dont crank down on it. It shouldn't be that easy to crack the pod. I think they need to rethink the design or the material they are using.

OP
OP
TENNESSEEGAL

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
True not for diving, but no problem at all with hunting with it in the surf.... I have had one on one of my excals for the last 3 years, hunt waist to chest deep and not a single leak yet........

Where can I get one of these Treasure Hunter?

surfhunter

Sep 25, 2011
FL NATIVE
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark+ Excal.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my dealings with ML I've learned a couple of things.

1. If you are calling them, call as soon as they open. If you don't just opt for the choice of them calling you back because you'll most likly be on hold for 2-3 hours as in my case.......several times.

2. Even if you have an extended warranty, it must state that it covers the batteries as well, or acroos the board the warranty is 6 months no if and or buts about it.

3. Keep in mind that the other person on the other end of the phone doesn't care that your 1500 detector is not working. Most likly they don't detect and don't have 1500 to pay for a detector so all of your whining is not going to get you anywhere.

4. Talk directly to a tech. Tell them it's not an issue with the battery holding a charge it's with the plastic being brittle.

5. BE AS NICE AS POSSIBLE...... Remember 6 month on batteries only.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where can I get one of these Treasure Hunter?

EBay, Kellyco or some of the other detector stores.. I have 2 myself, you can easily convert them to NiHM batteries too. Not for diving, but I have had no problems in the surf with mine, just be sure you don't get sand on the rubber ring if you change batteries
at the beach, and use silicone grease on the rubber ring.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surfhunter..... Im not certain Nadia hunts, but i am certain she will go the extra mile in helping you. Ive never been on hold very long..... thou after talking with me, im not sure they didnt wise they would have put me on hold lol. Ive also NEVER gotten the feeling they didnt care about your broken machine. They bent over backward to resolve my issues..... i have to give them praise for that. Hate the down time...... but TG we pay for these warranties that arent very long. Water machines.... especially in salt water is a gamble for them and us.

Dew

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem with that is that the alkaline battery pod is not waterproof.

Lies and BS. It's the exact same battery pod as the "waterproof" rechargable pod. They say its not waterproof because they worry the user is going to screw up the o-ring during changing.

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 excals and 4 battery pods. One pod is aftermarket. As painfull as it is to purchase another excal and atleast an extra battery, it is worth it even though you shouldn't have to.
As far as my opinion goes with Minelab, there service is still at one or two stars out of 5. I don't care if they have employees that are monitoring this or not. Actually, I hope they do.
I sent my oldest machine in yesterday for a makeover and to repair my threshold problem . I asked for rush service since I'm leaving on a hunt trip soon. There reply is first come first serve. (10-14 days to look at it) In other words, It sits on a bench untill they can get to it.
Thats as good as telling me "We Don't Care". If they did care I would have the machine back quick and pay the extra rush service fee. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Garret, Fisher, Whites, Tosoro help a guy out that needed quick service and is willing to pay ? I have sold 14 excals for Minelab to my friends / family and my Dive partners. Lets see ...huuum.. that is about $20,000 dollars worth of detectors. And thats the kind of service we get?
I am close to going to Garret machines because of poor service problems with Minelabs. It's sad because it is one hell of a great machine. There have been many problems with the service provided by this company.Too many to list.
Well, we shall see when I get my first call from them. Hopefully quick and no problems.
Take care

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 excals and 4 battery pods. One pod is aftermarket. As painfull as it is to purchase another excal and atleast an extra battery, it is worth it even though you shouldn't have to.
As far as my opinion goes with Minelab, there service is still at one or two stars out of 5. I don't care if they have employees that are monitoring this or not. Actually, I hope they do.
I sent my oldest machine in yesterday for a makeover and to repair my threshold problem . I asked for rush service since I'm leaving on a hunt trip soon. There reply is first come first serve. (10-14 days to look at it) In other words, It sits on a bench untill they can get to it.
Thats as good as telling me "We Don't Care". If they did care I would have the machine back quick and pay the extra rush service fee. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Garret, Fisher, Whites, Tosoro help a guy out that needed quick service and is willing to pay ? I have sold 14 excals for Minelab to my friends / family and my Dive partners. Lets see ...huuum.. that is about $20,000 dollars worth of detectors. And thats the kind of service we get?
I am close to going to Garret machines because of poor service problems with Minelabs. It's sad because it is one hell of a great machine. There have been many problems with the service provided by this company.Too many to list.
Well, we shall see when I get my first call from them. Hopefully quick and no problems.
Take care

So you think they should put your excal ahead of anyone else who sent theirs in for repair before you did just because your in a hurry and willing to pay extra........? What is wrong with it and why did you wait till now to send it in for an overhaul? Fall, Winter and early Spring would have been the best time to have sent it in for a "makeover"..

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On one of GravediggerMax's videos I remember him having the same problem. Someone suggested filling the cracks with super glue. I think a thin layer was recommended over the rest of the area. I don't think he posts on here anymore. Here's his Youtube channel Treasure Hunting / Va Beach - YouTube

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravediggermax and vabeachmax are the same person...

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do know ML isnt the only place to get your machine repaired? I think NED and a few others do repairs. Ive no desire to jump to Garrett or any other company right now until they can match MLs capabilities. As far as super glue or any temp. fix..... get an RMA and use the warranty you paid for. No service department is perfect..... if you dont believe me check out some of the posts/complaints. Its frustrating, but so is most electronics.... you dont always get it right the first time. Id rather they take there time and get it right and not push a dead line on the repair people.

Dew

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the center post screw ( it prevents reversing connections) , it may be too long causing cracking when tightening.

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
This was a great thread for all excal owners. I'm checking mine out asap. So far my 2yo excal has had a battery cable issue and I hope thats all for a while!

OP
OP
TENNESSEEGAL

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all so much for your input. I appreciate all the information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions