TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone else had this problem? I bought my Excal ii four months ago and the battery pod case is cracking where the plug attaches. I know its a manufacture defect because I've taken good care of it and that part of the battery is always protected.I've sent an email in to Minelab about it. It's still working for now. Two of the switch cover inserts have come off also.

Upvote 0

Surfview

Jul 1, 2012
Marineland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can you post a picture? I also have a minelab and would be interested in seeing the damage. Thanks,

OP
OP
TENNESSEEGAL

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surfview said:
Can you post a picture? I also have a minelab and would be interested in seeing the damage. Thanks,

Sure! Sorry, I meant to. even transferred pictures to my ipad to share them and then forgot to add them LOL Here ya go!

image-369722505.jpg

image-2488664889.jpg

image-3062438858.jpg

image-3533932260.jpg

image-69708822.jpg

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Yep... that definitely looks like a problem. I hope you sent those to Minelab too. Hopefully they'll just send you another battery and have you return that one.

OP
OP
TENNESSEEGAL

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobbypins said:
Yep... that definitely looks like a problem. I hope you sent those to Minelab too. Hopefully they'll just send you another battery and have you return that one.

I haven't gotten a reply from them yet. I didnt expect one yet since I sent it in today on a Sunday. I'll attach the pics when I hear from them. Thank you Im hoping they will let me do that too. I really dont want to be without it. LOL Thanks for your interest Bobbypins. :)

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen that.... but normally its on ones with age from the constant tightening and heat from recharges. Thats what warranties are for...... get it fixed on their dime. Im still having issues with my Xcal.... may be a battery as well.

Dew

OP
OP
TENNESSEEGAL

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dewcon4414 said:
Ive seen that.... but normally its on ones with age from the constant tightening and heat from recharges. Thats what warranties are for...... get it fixed on their dime. Im still having issues with my Xcal.... may be a battery as well.

Dew

Thanks Dewcon. What is going on with yours?

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
I have gone through six pod's with the exact problem...
It is frustrating. Minelab will only say that you must have
caused the problem by some kind if abuse.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T.Gal, I emailed my contact in Minelab about your issue as well.........

surfhunter

Sep 25, 2011
FL NATIVE
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark+ Excal.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You only have a 6 month warranty on Excal. batteries

jtlee321

Mar 23, 2012
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
I just noticed the same thing on my battery pod as well. It is exactly the same kind of cracking as yours. I bought my Excal back in March. I was trying to figure out how it happened since I have never dropped it or over tightened it. The cracking is on the opposite post hole. But the crack structure appears the same. I wonder if they got in a bad batch of pods?

OP
OP
TENNESSEEGAL

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surfhunter said:
You only have a 6 month warranty on Excal. batteries

Yikes! Well we got a year extended warranty when we got it I wonder if that helps.

OP
OP
TENNESSEEGAL

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jtlee321 said:
I just noticed the same thing on my battery pod as well. It is exactly the same kind of cracking as yours. I bought my Excal back in March. I was trying to figure out how it happened since I have never dropped it or over tightened it. The cracking is on the opposite post hole. But the crack structure appears the same. I wonder if they got in a bad batch of pods?

It sure sounds like it. I know I haven't done anything to mine to damage it either. It sure stinks is to pay so much for something and have something like this happen. A couple of the yellow button covers have come off too but that's not a big deal, it doesnt affect how the machine operates. A cracked battery case can.
Have you sent In your warranty card? Surf hunter said the warranty on batteries is only 6 months, you've only got one month left.

OP
OP
TENNESSEEGAL

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
T.Gal, I emailed my contact in Minelab about your issue as well.........

Thank you Treasure Hunter. I really appreciate that. A lot.

OP
OP
TENNESSEEGAL

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Da Sand Crab said:
I have gone through six pod's with the exact problem...
It is frustrating. Minelab will only say that you must have
caused the problem by some kind if abuse.

Oh man! How Long have you had your Excal? Have you had to buy all 6 of the pods? I checked the price for them on the site where I bought my detector. They aren't cheap.

Last edited:

smoldrn

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the pod crack on my older Excal. It got water in it when I rinsed it off. ML says I must've over tightened the nut. After dropping $165 for a new one, I make sure & only use thumb & finger to tighten the nut.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine..... well i had some crackling over targets and a threshold issue when i sent mine in the second time. ML couldnt get it to do it while in repair. It got REAL bad..... like half volume/threshold over targets and i couldnt tell what the tone was because of the crackle. I believe i found the trouble in the headphones..... appears to be cracked cable casing letting water in. I think my spraying them down with water after my hunt gets water inside and it didnt drain. Once it drains the problem seems better. It needs to go back. I sure hate the down time....

If you have a warranty you have to get them in..... repairs and replacement parts are pricy. TH gave me a good suggestion of getting an alk battery holder.

Dew

smoldrn

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem with that is that the alkaline battery pod is not waterproof.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem with that is that the alkaline battery pod is not waterproof.

True not for diving, but no problem at all with hunting with it in the surf.... I have had one on one of my excals for the last 3 years, hunt waist to chest deep and not a single leak yet........

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ML isnt willing to call them water proof...... because they arent pressure tested and they arent going to warranty them since we put them together and take them apart. They arent dumb..... they have learned from industries problems. From what i see id use one for water hunting.... and will.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread