New to Fernandina Beach/Amelia Isl area.. need machine advice.

MrNelson

May 2, 2012
Fernandina Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

Surfview

Jul 1, 2012
Marineland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
I would think that your area would be great for detecting. I have an Excalibur II and it's a pretty good all round MDer. Works on the beach and under the salt water. There are lots of others and many on this forum have strong opinions re: the best for different uses and in many price ranges. Also look around on the different threads, I'm sure there is lots of previous discussions regarding your question. Good luck and have fun. It's a great hobby.

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

May 2, 2012
Fernandina Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
I know the Excall would be ideal and a sure bet to work in almost any beach enviroment, but the cost is killing me. I just can't fork over $900 to $1300 on a detector.. I would like something that i could use in wet/dry sand.. maybe someone has detected this area and has some advice on a good machine that's proven to work well in this area? I was thinking of spending no more than $400 or so on a used one..

Surfview

Jul 1, 2012
Marineland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
MrNelson said:
I know the Excall would be ideal and a sure bet to work in almost any beach enviroment, but the cost is killing me. I just can't fork over $900 to $1300 on a detector.. I would like something that i could use in wet/dry sand.. maybe someone has detected this area and has some advice on a good machine that's proven to work well in this area? I was thinking of spending no more than $400 or so on a used one..

Tesoro Sand Shark Metal Detector
with 8" Search Coil and Lifetime Warranty Plus FREE Metal Detector Shipping

Kellyco has the sand shark for $577. I've seen lots of folks comment on this detector. I'm surprised no one else has chimed in here. Maybe try posting you question on one or more of the other topics sections. Although you should be in the right place here. Wish I could help you more. Also, a good detector for Fernandina beaches should be a good detector for any Florida beach and visa versa. I know the sand shark is over your budget, but someone may have a used one closer to your desired price or under, who knows? Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

May 2, 2012
Fernandina Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
:icon_scratch: Well, then i guess the quickest way in to the game is the dry sand game. I saw Fisher F2 at Gander Mntn store nearby for $199. I guess thats a way to start detecting and then when $$ is more readily available I can get into the wetsand/water game.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
welcome to the area * long time nassau county hunter --shipwreck researcher ==well known by many here -- I might be able to assist you a bit . --if you would like me to.

LibbyC

Greenie
Aug 18, 2012
Atlanta,Ga
Detector(s) used
sand shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a shand shark on ebay and it was $300. I like it.

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

May 2, 2012
Fernandina Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
welcome to the area * long time nassau county hunter --shipwreck researcher ==well known by many here -- I might be able to assist you a bit . --if you would like me to.

Absoutely! I really wanna buy a machine today! Saw Whites Eagle spectrum on craigslist for $300... is that a good beach machine?

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

May 2, 2012
Fernandina Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
Ohh and i also found whites xlt for 450... just dont know which machine will work on that gorgeous beach sand ???

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

May 2, 2012
Fernandina Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
The Fisher f2 seems ideal. Gunna check to see if they have it still. Unless someone local to me wants to part with a spare machine *hint* ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread