Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I find thhites Surfmaster Pi Pro which is about $600 is the best bang for the buck. It ground balances automaticly, goes deep on everything, is adjusted for gold jewelry, finds more than most-but that might just be me. Also instant learning curve-very user friendly. Turn it on and go- also batteries last a long time. Some of the UW are freshwater types- fisher CZ20, several other Fisher except the PI, and (I cant remember whos)stingray are vlf which is not good in saltwater, but Ok on the beach. Stick to a PI in Saltwater. Some guys use a Minelab Excal which is a VLF type, and it doesnt go as deep, but it discriminates, problem is, it doesnt auto balance as well, and you will pass a lot of stuff up. And has lots of problems. Yes even good stuff. So stick to a PI and Whites seems to be the best, and I have gone through a bunch! Most of the ones above too. Steve.

OP
OP
Korban

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
thanks for the info...any other opinions out there?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK you ask for it. The PI machines are very deep, but hardly discriminate at all and you'll dig deep holes for a nail which it loves. The Fisher CZ20 is very good for saltwater as it has a built in salt mode an manual ground balance. The Tesoro Tiger Shark is deep also, but not as deep as a PI. It has a switch for the saltwater mode and manual ground balance. Both the TS and CZ20 are VLF's. The Whites Beach Hunter ID is fair and some like it. I didn't mainly because the coil wanted to float in the water and it was hard to control in waves. It's OK on a dry sand beach but only has one transmit frequency while the CZ20 has two. I gave the Beach Hunter away.

The superior beach hunting and diving detector that most of us beach hunters and divers use is the Minelab Excalibur 1000. The 1000 is the size of the coil. It is the only detector that almost matches the PI's in depth, but it has iron mask which means it will report on a gold ring under a huge nail. It transmits 17 different frequencies to help id the target. Uses a DD coil which is hot down the center and covers lots of ground per sweep. If it has a down side it is that it costs as much as a CZ20. I am biased because I have used many different kinds and my two Excal's have paid for themselves a few times over.

I don't think you can use a better detector for beach hunting. Your time is worth the most, don't waste it playing with something not as good. I have a PI Pro too, but the digging wears me out digging all them little pieces of iron.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
Korban

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
Thanks for the reply. Lets say that i cant afford the Minelab (which i cant right now) would you go with a PI or something like the Tesero tiger shark that is Vlf? Any thoughts?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think the DetectorPro Headhunter is one of the deepest, most sensitive pulse machines out there. I have the beach/diver model with 11" coil. Also, no heavy control box to swing or hip mount as the electronics are built right in to the (comfortable) headphones!

It's only rival as far as I am concerned is the Aquapulse, which I also own.

As a professional salvor (www.wreckoverysalvage.com), I have owned or used most of the underwater detectors out there.

Oh, it just so happens that I have a almost brand new Headhunter for sale. PM me for more information if interested. ;D

Attachments

• tom_mding2.jpg
    tom_mding2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 393

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D Like I said, a PI is the deepest, however you will have almost no discrimination. The Tiger Shark had discrimination but isn't as deep as a PI. They will cost about the same. I've never used the HeadHunter so I can't commit on it.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have never used the Head Hunter either, but have heard 1- it is built by a PI only expert, just for beach and shallow water jewelry finding. 2-It is tuned for jewelry gold too. But I think it is quite expensive new. Check out the one mentioned for sale. 3- They are very light, as the headphones have the control, batteries and electronics. Just the wand with coil to swing. I would go for that one too. Steve.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The PI model I have for sale is rated for 100' depth. The pulse delay on this machine is set at 15Us, which as stevemc noted, makes it hot on small gold. It is a very good beach and diving machine.

I am selling mine for $575 OBO. It still has some warranty left.

Headphone Transducers: Permanently encapsulated high-output piezoelectric.
Audio Frequency: Adjustable
Headphone Earcups: Heavy-duty polymer full ear surround; extra comfortable soft cushions, ambient noise blocking up to 24 decibels, heavy-duty ear-to-ear wiring with new seals for added strength; heavier duty sealing plates; UW connector for interchangeable searchcoils.
Headphone Frame: Adjustable padded headband, no screws, no wire frame, no rust, compact carry foldable design.
Controls: Full-range Volume, Frequency Adjust, & Tuning
Search Mode: Slow motion all-metal
Operating environments: Salt & fresh water to 100 feet, beach, & rain storms.
Cable: Straight, heavy-duty coil wire for added strength.
Hand Grip: Soft foam anatomic for all-day use.
Rods: Self-draining anodized aluminum with durable baked on black powder coating; lower shaft extension for easy conversion to wading configuration.
Armrest: Adjustable stainless steel with waterproof padding
Isolator: Heavy-duty non-metallic with nylon wingnut & stud assembly.
Rod Length: 27 to 53 inches.
Breakdown: Three pieces for easy storage and travel.
Weight With Batteries: 3.5 pounds.
Batteries: (2) 9-Volt cells of any type, carbon-zinc, alkaline or rechargeable.
Battery Life: 8-12 hours (alkaline)
Applications: Jewelry, relic, and coin hunting.
Warranty: Two Years
NOTE: Specifications and features subject to change without notice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread