May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I needed a small shovel to work the hard packed low tide sand.
I saw one on craigslist for $40, so i cashed in one coffee can of clad...$75! and got it.
I'll be testing it out early tomorrow morning. 5Ge5Ke5Mc3E33K13Mfc8qde6887b3b4381ea4.jpg

Upvote 0

mike3366

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I needed a scoop can't explain cost toy wife . Talked my buddy at his metal fab shop to make me one . Well dropped off his truck after mounting his new tires and he made me 4 one with a handle and 3 to finish as I would them . Not a Stealth but the price is right .

image-27712435.jpg

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a bud..... interesting choice of tool. Still looks like a little more bending over than with say a small shovel. Ive got friends who gold mine and use them.

Dew

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
That looks great for prying under rocks, and then digging the target...I 'd like to own one of those, but with a longer handle .

You make a wise purchase

Lorraine

OP
OP
fredinbelize

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Now thats a bud..... interesting choice of tool. Still looks like a little more bending over than with say a small shovel. Ive got friends who gold mine and use them.

Dew
I like to dig with one hand, and usually use my dry sand scoop, but I don't want to beat it up too much. For certain times and conditions this one, for me, is just right.
I'm in the process of making a stainless steel scoop out of a 6" by 8" cooking pan!!

kinigit

Jul 19, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Detector(s) used
Dual Field PI, Stingray 2, Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it one of the WW2 trench shovels? If so I have seen them and they are great and bombproof! They are a wee bit heavy if memory serves me though. Enjoy!

OP
OP
fredinbelize

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Is it one of the WW2 trench shovels? If so I have seen them and they are great and bombproof! They are a wee bit heavy if memory serves me though. Enjoy!
This one is from 1965.
I like Army stuff, lasts forever.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poor choice for a beach tool. Constant bending / kneeling to dig targets will waste time and wear you out. You need something long handled. If it's for dealing with gravels, you need something more like a hand-mattox.

OP
OP
fredinbelize

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Poor choice for a beach tool. Constant bending / kneeling to dig targets will waste time and wear you out. You need something long handled. If it's for dealing with gravels, you need something more like a hand-mattox.
Maybe a poor choice for you...it's works great for me, in certain conditions.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a poor choice for you...it's works great for me, in certain conditions.
I agree. Hard packed sand is a pain to dig in - one can't even hand fan the sand away. Every scoop has its place. When black sand is showing on the treasure coast beaches after a storm or some serious erosion here - clay starts showing up, and that is where the reale goodies are. That tool would work perfect to dig into very hard packed sand, or clay.
Take into consideration when old artifacts are being found ( shipwreck items on a beach, old coins and relics inland, and much more) it is very important to pinpoint the item, and remove it from its resting place with no damage. In hard packed sand with that tool it would be easy to notch around the target after pinpointing - then use the shovel end to pry up the hard packed sand that the target is in, and recover it. I have the same tool, and use it only when I hunt certain places that require a tool like that.
Good luck in your search. I think your choice of tool is perfect for hard packed sand.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many beaches in the world have you been too? Not all are soft/loose sand. Some of the islands/tropic beaches have sand packed so tight by nature that your footprint may not show. Every scoop, shovel, recovering device, or whatever you want to call it has it's place.
That's my two bit's.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the rocks.

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck with your new shovel, it should work well in the rocky areas.........:thumbsup:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
How many beaches in the world have you been too? Not all are soft/loose sand. Some of the islands/tropic beaches have sand packed so tight by nature that your footprint may not show. Every scoop, shovel, recovering device, or whatever you want to call it has it's place.
That's my two bit's.

Thats right, right tool for the right job. This tool works great in hard pack. I think the one my son uses has a 19 inch handle, works well for prying.

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a great one Fred,I too use a shovel got one of those @ Home Depot,,works okay for me until it breaks hopefully not WTG:icon_thumright:,,HH

mike3366

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great tool ! Hope it helps you recover the gold and silence the naysayers !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread