SNAPOLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yep - was onto maybe 15th target of post work search (good greenies and old pull tabs ... quite excited about going back) and THWACK!! (imagine blow up word like on Batman) - lucky I did not travel as had no back up - went home tail between legs......... also how to get this out - drill it? can't imagine the time to blow torch it out as it is hardwood... needs to dry out I guess? obviously did not stand up to the StavR pressure point.... what will? also I cut the handle with a circular saw an inch fom the snap and it was solid and dry so not wood rot.......... only the outside 1mm is damp.. wedged in pretty good.......... if no easier options I'm setting the remainder back in for another 6 months..... hopefully

Attachments

• IMG_2876.jpg
    IMG_2876.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Upvote 0

svensken77

Jun 29, 2012
westside
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 350 (sold)
Garrett AT PRO
Garret pro pinpointer
Minelab Excalibur II
Outch. Been there 2 times with My stavrscoop too. Fiberglass shaft, first time i used an older fibershaft i had in my garage. Broke it digging in a freshwater lake but i broke at about 2,5 feet up so not very big problems with that. Bought a new unused fiberglass shaft and a couple of days ago i went to the beach and as i was digging à target in almost chest deep water it broke too, this time it was all the way down at the scoop and was only able to see about 1 inch of the metalpipe sticking up from the sand at the bottom and could'nt get it up so i had to get out of My waders and into the frigging cold water in my underwear to get it... Wondering what kind of shaft i will buy next....
I think drilling it out is the way to go with yours...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

svensken77

Jun 29, 2012
westside
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 350 (sold)
Garrett AT PRO
Garret pro pinpointer
Minelab Excalibur II
I cant get that scoop here in Sweden , as à matter of fact i cant get any scoop here. ;). Had to buy from ucraine.. but i dont see why i cant break the shaft with the stealth?

svensken77

Jun 29, 2012
westside
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 350 (sold)
Garrett AT PRO
Garret pro pinpointer
Minelab Excalibur II
Oh. You mean getting the "stump" out.. Thats true but not à big problem in my opinion, think my stavr is great also but im sure the stealth is super too..

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Take a Spade Bit or Speedbor bit close to the size of the shaft and drill it out. Then take a wood chisel or screw driver and break it loose and break up the remaining piece next to the scoop socket. Only problem I see is if you have a cross pin holding the handle in place, which you should have, since friction fit alone is not a great design. I guess you will have to grind off one end of the cross pin and drive the pin out before you drill out the wood. With the right tools, it is probably a half hour project to get it out. Good luck. I feel your pain. Papa

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Beach Papa has good idea,similar to how i replaced hammer handles. A dozen or so at a time. Drilled and torched fiberglass ones. A wood screw or lagbolt run into a pilot hole and slap hammer might pull broken piece once cross pin removed. When rebuilding weight a factor. A 3/4 inch coupler to match conduit could be welded on,should be hard to break!.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go find you a machine shop, that's got aluminum tubing. You can make the scoop to "collapse" by having the handle in 2 different parts, with bolts and nuts. Just a thought.
My friend has a collapsable scoop, she may let me borrow it to travel with, she can use mine till I return.
Sorry I don't have pics or specs. If I can get some, will post or pm them later. It's a nice scoop too.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about your ruined hunt, but this is the reason I will never use a wood handled scoop.

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't have this problem with the Sunspot Stealth scoops.
Metal Detecting Scoop for the Beach
View attachment 671566

You sure can have this problem with sunspot scoops. I broke my Hybrid handle earlier this year. Called Chuck and he said he doesn't make the hybrid handles anymore to many problems with them. He send me 2 replacement handles so I was happy with the customer service. I was digging in sand as well.

OP
OP
Smoogle

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Thank-you for the thoughtful replies and advice. I drilled / chiselled it out. I'm going to use the remaining length of hardwood as a temp replacement - but am looking at a fibreglass or plastic handle next time. I love my Stavr and as the wife reminded me - that "free" (given by the groundsman at work) wood handle helped bring the golden bacon home - many times so why worry about it - but I can just see myself 100kms from home, snapping and limping home without the gold or PT which was just one hole away so I'm after quality this time............HH

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Sunspot makes a great scoop. And Chuck is AWESOME to deal with. I'm a loyal follower now.

Sorry about your scoop though. Drill that stump out with some normal drill bits and use a flat head screwdriver to pry the pieces out. Maybe you should have a Sunspot as a primary and save that Stavr for a backup.

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
I wonder if you soak the wood in kerosene if it would burn itself out . Should work.

beachluck

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
riverside county
Detector(s) used
wow, from white's first S-63 up to current. garretts seahunter mark2, & infinium, tesoro cibola,lobo, whites prizn 6t and others..
Primary Interest:
been using the keene eng metal sand scoop for the last 3/4 years comes with a long and short handles.. he up in santa monica beachall tghe way to santa barbara and been happy with it..use ceramic magnets in scoop . as to a P.I. detect well prefer garretts sea hunter mark 2 over the infinium l/s as one has to but a set of waterproof headphones for it.. whites is a favorite as well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread