Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While vacationing on Oahu,I found this very encrusted coin about in 2 feet of water,so I needed to learn on how to clean it & Lorraine told me about electrolysis.I did follow the instructions on cleaning the coin it took all that black junk off:hello2: Sorry Lorraine forgot to take pictures??? It did clean up great,the front of coin looks like a body image,and the back of coin looks like an eagle image.
Can't make out the date on this coin,but if you drop or flip it sure sounds silver to me:hello2:,,HH

Attachments

• photo-37.JPG
    photo-37.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2759.jpg
    IMG_2759.jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 279
  • photo-68.JPG
    photo-68.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 178
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Electroysis can ruin a silver coin quick. Best to use diluted muratic acid, you can find it in the pool store. I use it 50% water 50% acid. Leave it in for 15 minutes, rinse and check. You could leave it for hours, it wont hurt it. Muratic acid will not eat silver or copper. I have cleaned many silver cobs 300 to 400 years old all found under the sea, and all ours were cleaned in acid. They all looked fine. I have seen many cobs pocked and ruined even by experts using electrolysis. And using a car battery charger is the worst way to do it, the charger sees it as a dead battery and gives as much possible amperage to recharge it, ruinimg whatever is in the sodium carbonate solution. The best wat to do electrolysis is with a switchable or reostat on a power supply. You need very little amperage for a single coin. You start low amperage, and slowly work up until it just barely starts to fizz on the coin. And best place to find sodium carbonate is in the supermarket in the clothes washing section-washing soda. You can make sodium carbonate out of baking soda-sodium bicarbonate-dont use that either, by heating a cup of baking soda on baking sheet in the oven at 350 for 1 hour. It is now sodium carbonate. Never use Lye which is sodium hydroxide, as it is very caustic of course. And of course never use table salt, it is very corrosive and basicly what reverse electrolysis does is get the salt out of iron objects found under sea water. Kind of crazy that I hear that often to use table salt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Electroysis can ruin a silver coin quick. Best to use diluted muratic acid, you can find it in the pool store. I use it 50% water 50% acid. Leave it in for 15 minutes, rinse and check. You could leave it for hours, it wont hurt it. Muratic acid will not eat silver or copper. I have cleaned many silver cobs 300 to 400 years old all found under the sea, and all ours were cleaned in acid. They all looked fine. I have seen many cobs pocked and ruined even by experts using electrolysis. And using a car battery charger is the worst way to do it, the charger sees it as a dead battery and gives as much possible amperage to recharge it, ruinimg whatever is in the sodium carbonate solution. The best wat to do electrolysis is with a switchable or reostat on a power supply. You need very little amperage for a single coin. You start low amperage, and slowly work up until it just barely starts to fizz on the coin. And best place to find sodium carbonate is in the supermarket in the clothes washing section. You can make sodium carbonate out of baking soda-sodium bicarbonate-dont use that either, by heating a cup of baking soda on baking sheet in the oven at 350 for 1 hour. It is now sodium carbonate. Never use Lye which is sodium hydroxide, as it is very caustic of course. And of course never use table salt, it is very corrosive and basicly what reverse electrolysis does is get the salt out of iron objects found under sea water. Kind of crazy that I hear that often to use table salt.
Thank you all all your great information:icon_thumright:,,HH

OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the cool find, regardless of condition. Don't beat yourself up too bad, I've seen silver come out just that bad without electrolysis. The ocean seems to love to eat most metals.

If that is your picture, you are a very attractive lady and that is all I will say on that!
Actually Jason,that's my daughter she is such an amazing,beautiful,goodhearted,loving daughter,she looks like her mom IMG_2475.jpg IMG_2207.jpg

OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used her picture to reply to the previous post that I had about vacationing in Hawaii,thought I put a little humor in it:icon_thumright:Me on the left & my Beautiful daughter on the right:hello:,,HH

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't notice a difference between you and your daughter. If I saw you together I would say you are twins. I totally have to agree about the muriatic acid. I use it all the time and it works great. Make sure you wear a gas mask, the fumes are toxic. Also, I do it right next to my pool. Muriatic acid will start burning your skin in 3-4 seconds. If your daughter needs a boyfriend in florida....let me know. I may have a son or two about the same age.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to find an old Walking Liberty Half Dollar. Don't see many around anymore.

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the Walking Liberty half, but more importantly you did even better with your daughter! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions