Found my 1st Tungsten Carbide ring today; I can understand why people opt for these

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
rings.

They sure are classy looking...all shiney, no scratches, heavy, durable ...inexpensive.

Having said the above, I wish people would keep them off the beaches :laughing7:..they are heartbreakers when found.

Returned to yesterday's beach to see what the Tornado winds blew in with the waves....got a nice loud sound and picked out the GND Tungsten Carbide ring...looks brand new.

Weight= 13.13 grams

size =8 1/2

I knew right away that this ring was not white gold, or sterling silver...it was way too smoooooooooooooooth...thought it might be SS until I checked inside the band.

Here's a couple of pics...and some info about GND ( I believe the initials stand for "ground", but not sure)...info taken from Web site.

Maybe tomorrow :headbang:

Lorraine

Imagine wearing a ring that is permanently polished and...
ALWAYS looks brand spanking new!

Discover the amazing look and durability of tungsten rings and tungsten wedding bands. In an extraordinary process, Tungsten and Carbide powders are forged together at over 2,800 degrees Fahrenheit to form rings that are virtually indestructible and scratch proof. Then they are polished with a diamond compound, resulting in a polish and shine that will last forever. Tungsten rings offer the perfect combination of unbelievable strength with style and comfort. Explore our Education and Guidance Section.

Why Tungsten Carbide?

Tungsten is the only rare and exotic metal that can be permanently polished. The polish and finish can last as long as your commitment to each other - forever!

If you see scratches on your tungsten ring, we will replace or repolish it immediately, free of charge. If your finger size ever changes and you need a new ring size, we will replace it under our sizing for life policy. ($59 charge plus $20 shipping/handling required with a copy of your invoice.)

With gold, platinum and even titanium rings, you will notice varying degrees of scratching, denting and surface mars. However, with tungsten rings, the surface will maintain it's original beautiful shiny finish.

Many people also enjoy the heavy weight of a tungsten ring. The enduring polish of a tungsten ring together with the solid weight, speak of commitment, security and an everlasting bond.

Shop for Tungsten Rings

Hard Facts About Tungsten Carbide Rings:

arrow2.gif
Tungsten rings are the most wear resistant rings available on the planet.
arrow2.gif
Tungsten is about 10 times harder than 18K Gold, 5 times harder than tool steel, and 4 times harder than titanium.
arrow2.gif
Tungsten measures between 8 and 9 on the Mohs hardness scale. (Diamonds are a 10 - the highest.)
arrow2.gif
Due to their extreme hardness, Tungsten Rings will hold their shape and shine longer than any ring on the market.
arrow2.gif
Tungsten rings have been referred to as the "Permanently Polished Rings".
arrow2.gif
Tungsten rings will NOT bend.
arrow2.gif
In the event of an emergency, a ring can be removed by a medical professional.
arrow2.gif
Each tungsten ring is individually hand crafted using assorted diamond abrasives and poly crystalline diamond tooling.
arrow2.gif
Our tungsten rings are cobalt free.

The Manufacturing Process

Tungsten with carbon and other elements are ground into a powder and then compressed with high pressure dies to form a ring blank.

The blank is then fired in an oxygen free furnace at an astounding 6,200 degrees Fahrenheit. This process called sintering creates the hardest metal used for making jewelry.

The ring is then cut and shaped using diamond tools with approximately 30 steps required for completion. The cutting and shaping of a tungsten ring is similar in many ways to the cutting and polishing of a rough diamond.

Tungsten rings inlaid with gold, silver, platinum or mokume gane are created by grinding a channel in the center of the ring and precisely "swedging" the metal into the channel under extreme pressure.

The ring is then skillfully polished with diamond polishing tools and wheels creating a permanent luster and polish not possible with other metals.

A Tungsten Carbide ring will remain polished forever, and is scratch resistant. It is a unique metal that epitomizes today's man more than any other.

DSCF1883.JPG

DSCF1885.JPG

DSCF1876.JPG

Upvote 0

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bagfull of these rings, titaniums and stainless also. My latest post shows 2 that I just aquired. I sell them at the flea market for 10 and 5 dollars a piece. Last time there sold 6 to one girl and she said they were worth more than silver! I just smiled at her and said "Have a nice day" stuffing the $30 in my pocket!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Another weird thing about them is how hard they sound when you clink them on a glass or jar, sounds like it will break it.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Ive collected a few of these lately as well, and it blows me away that jewelry stores are soaking people 2-3 hundred dollars for these rings ....with a resale of zippo!

beckleeson

Jul 19, 2012
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
TESORO Cutlass II µMAX , TESORO Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another weird thing about them is how hard they sound when you clink them on a glass or jar, sounds like it will break it.

Yea, I often hit my truck window with mine by accident. Every time it sounds like its going to bust the window.

I personally chose tungsten carbide for my wedding band ("not a sign of the times") but because I work with my hands a lot and there indestructible. My bands almost 3 years old now and looks brand new!

Nice find Lorraine. Sorry it wasn't more gold though :icon_thumleft:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True We Gave The One We found Too My wifes Doctor!!! He Gave It to A Freind!!! Chug

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
I don't hate those rings. I consider them ring case worthy. They are pretty interesting and actually heavier than gold!

Definitely a keeper...for at least a little while. They do make good gifts for teens <smile>

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
I don't hate those rings. I consider them ring case worthy. They are pretty interesting and actually heavier than gold!

Definitely a keeper...for at least a little while. They do make good gifts for teens <smile>

Good idea, Dr. Joe.

There's a teen in my neighborhood who helps me with yard work; I think he would like this one.

Lorraine

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like those. They look really cool. I want to find one. I'd keep it if I were you.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I dont know how much the rings are worth melt/spot, but cant be much because I use tungsten carbide grit in my rock tumbler and I buy it in 5 lb bags and it is $15 for 5 lbs. Like was said either try to sell them as jewelry or give as gifts, or keep and wear.

seapro1

Apr 27, 2009
Cocoa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Excalibur 1000, Fisher CZ-70
Primary Interest:
I know what you mean I've found two now. Nice find!!

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a co-worker who lost his last year. (married two years)
I asked why he went with Tungsten instead of a gold band?
He said him and his wife agreed to it because he always looses everything !
Wow, they sure knew what they were talking about.
These rings are getting very common in NY also.
HH
Gary G.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread