Found my 1st Tungsten Carbide ring today; I can understand why people opt for these

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
rings.

They sure are classy looking...all shiney, no scratches, heavy, durable ...inexpensive.

Having said the above, I wish people would keep them off the beaches :laughing7:..they are heartbreakers when found.

Returned to yesterday's beach to see what the Tornado winds blew in with the waves....got a nice loud sound and picked out the GND Tungsten Carbide ring...looks brand new.

Weight= 13.13 grams

size =8 1/2

I knew right away that this ring was not white gold, or sterling silver...it was way too smoooooooooooooooth...thought it might be SS until I checked inside the band.

Here's a couple of pics...and some info about GND ( I believe the initials stand for "ground", but not sure)...info taken from Web site.

Maybe tomorrow :headbang:

Lorraine

Imagine wearing a ring that is permanently polished and...
ALWAYS looks brand spanking new!

Discover the amazing look and durability of tungsten rings and tungsten wedding bands. In an extraordinary process, Tungsten and Carbide powders are forged together at over 2,800 degrees Fahrenheit to form rings that are virtually indestructible and scratch proof. Then they are polished with a diamond compound, resulting in a polish and shine that will last forever. Tungsten rings offer the perfect combination of unbelievable strength with style and comfort. Explore our Education and Guidance Section.

Why Tungsten Carbide?

Tungsten is the only rare and exotic metal that can be permanently polished. The polish and finish can last as long as your commitment to each other - forever!

If you see scratches on your tungsten ring, we will replace or repolish it immediately, free of charge. If your finger size ever changes and you need a new ring size, we will replace it under our sizing for life policy. ($59 charge plus $20 shipping/handling required with a copy of your invoice.)

With gold, platinum and even titanium rings, you will notice varying degrees of scratching, denting and surface mars. However, with tungsten rings, the surface will maintain it's original beautiful shiny finish.

Many people also enjoy the heavy weight of a tungsten ring. The enduring polish of a tungsten ring together with the solid weight, speak of commitment, security and an everlasting bond.

Shop for Tungsten Rings

Hard Facts About Tungsten Carbide Rings:

arrow2.gif
Tungsten rings are the most wear resistant rings available on the planet.
arrow2.gif
Tungsten is about 10 times harder than 18K Gold, 5 times harder than tool steel, and 4 times harder than titanium.
arrow2.gif
Tungsten measures between 8 and 9 on the Mohs hardness scale. (Diamonds are a 10 - the highest.)
arrow2.gif
Due to their extreme hardness, Tungsten Rings will hold their shape and shine longer than any ring on the market.
arrow2.gif
Tungsten rings have been referred to as the "Permanently Polished Rings".
arrow2.gif
Tungsten rings will NOT bend.
arrow2.gif
In the event of an emergency, a ring can be removed by a medical professional.
arrow2.gif
Each tungsten ring is individually hand crafted using assorted diamond abrasives and poly crystalline diamond tooling.
arrow2.gif
Our tungsten rings are cobalt free.

The Manufacturing Process

Tungsten with carbon and other elements are ground into a powder and then compressed with high pressure dies to form a ring blank.

The blank is then fired in an oxygen free furnace at an astounding 6,200 degrees Fahrenheit. This process called sintering creates the hardest metal used for making jewelry.

The ring is then cut and shaped using diamond tools with approximately 30 steps required for completion. The cutting and shaping of a tungsten ring is similar in many ways to the cutting and polishing of a rough diamond.

Tungsten rings inlaid with gold, silver, platinum or mokume gane are created by grinding a channel in the center of the ring and precisely "swedging" the metal into the channel under extreme pressure.

The ring is then skillfully polished with diamond polishing tools and wheels creating a permanent luster and polish not possible with other metals.

A Tungsten Carbide ring will remain polished forever, and is scratch resistant. It is a unique metal that epitomizes today's man more than any other.

DSCF1883.JPG

DSCF1885.JPG

DSCF1876.JPG

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
nice ring! I think the cats might be plotting your demise if you don't find them some good kitty jewelry. I love cats!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People buy that crap because they value thier marriage as much as they do the symbol of that marriage, cheap and disposible.

I hate those stupid rings.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Lorraine did you note how nice it sounded before you dug it! What a heart stopper when you zero in (PP) and then the let down. But its always nice to see a ring rather than another nickle.Thanks for the info on the ring.
BCNJ

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tungsen rings are still nice to find but I would rather find gold of any size. I once had a friend that always had a lot higher ring count than I and once I got to see them I saw why. He even counted trash rings.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
it is a nice one Lorraine. Sad thing is there is so little value when you try to sell them!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its unbelievable to me that this is your first one as much good stuff as you find out there. SS, TI, and Colbert..... the only thing worth less are those that say MADE IN CHINA.

Dew

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They do come out of the water all nice and sparkly. Wish it had been gold for you, but it is a pretty ring. HH

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
a nice one to give away - I've found that the teens in my surrounding family / friends love these big chunky blingers - just for fashion etc and giving away rings is cool! Sign of the times when used a a wedder I guess. Cats are always enetertaining even when at rest.

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG,on your first Tungsten:icon_thumleft:that's one scratch off your list not that it was on there,nice looking ring,,HH:hello:

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking ring. We are seeing more and more of these up here in New Hampshire. Don't know about you, I like anything I find - except the pull tabs, bottle caps & assorted bobbie pins. It's interesting what folks wear to the beach.

HH,
Anita

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Nice looking ring. We are seeing more and more of these up here in New Hampshire. Don't know about you, I like anything I find - except the pull tabs, bottle caps & assorted bobbie pins. It's interesting what folks wear to the beach.

HH,
Anita

I also like to bring anything in the relic or jewelry department home from the beach....it's the fun of finding anything that is trying to hide from me even if it is not a precious metal.

My mantra is "Any port in a storm" :occasion18:

L

creeker42

Jan 13, 2008
Connecticut shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
White" M6
I agree Loraine. It's not gold but it is interesting. Being a retired Tool & Diemaker, and having worked with a lot of carbide, one very important issue should be noted about carbide rings. If you get one stuck on a finger you'd better have access to high speed diamond grinding tools, because you won't cut it off any other way. Personally I would not try one on unless it went on easily. As I said it is a very interesting find, and it's really great how you research your finds and present them to the forum. I always look forward to your finds and stories. Thanks for brightening our day.
Ed

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring ,now you know why everyone hates these rings.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been unlucky enough to find several of those rings Lorraine.
They do look quite nice, but like you and others have said, they
are pretty much worthless except for a quick adrenalin rush.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they should be outlawed! :laughing7: They are becoming way too common and quite upsetting. :laughing7:

Sand Gnat

Jul 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett A/T Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Stealth Classic
Primary Interest:
It is a very nice looking ring. I think that I would rather find one of these rings instead of none.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have found a couple and I have one I found last year and it fits me perfect en not working. I have been wearing it whI have tried rubbing it on concrete, carrying blocks and tile, working wet contrete with skreed and smoothers and it still has no scratches. I assumed it was just lost because it was scratch free. But it is still scratch free. The article you showed said it can be removed by a medical worker, well as a paramedic we carried hand turned ring cutters, work great on gold and silver rings. I know it wont even scratch one of these. I would use a new diamond cutter 4"wheel high speed cutter on that, while dipping the ring and finger into water to keep it cool. I havent tried that, but that would probably be the only thing in town that would do it. People have accidents and the finger swells, and they need the ring cut off right away. I have a diamond cutter set up and if that happened, home is where we would have to run to get them fixed up.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Steve,

Thanks for all that important info regarding removal of the ring if necessary.

I'm glad that I did not try this ring on as I headed for home, as I sometimes do with rings that I find.

There could have been an emergency situation if it was too tight ...phew!

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread