Returned to where I found the 1892 Commemorative Half; today found 1832 coin/ token

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
typo: should read "1837" coin/token

:hello:Hi ,

Someone must have lost their old coin/ old token collection.

Today, I continued hunting the area where I had found the "Columbus" half dollar, and in the dry sand I recovered a very historic Canadian Bank Token Half Penny associated with the Lower Canada Insurrection of 1837 .

The lettering on the coin reads:

PROVINCE DU BAS CANADA

UN SOU

HALF PENNY BANK TOKEN

This was a dry sand find at upper end of the beach; I was so happy to find this token as I love History of any kind..any era...anywhere.

As the tide was receding , I was also able to get in some hunting in the rocky area, and that 's where I found all the coins.

Many of the coins were in full view laying on top of the mud, visible in small troughs, and against rocks..made of easy pickins.

There has got to be some gold / silver in this area...I'll keep trying.:thumbsup:

Spoons are starting to show up again. ???

Here's some pics and a bit of info about that Half Penny Bank Token

Lorraine

DSCF1906.JPG

DSCF1914.JPG

coin.jpg

LOWER CANADA
The former Lower Canada is now the Province of Quebec. Most of the private
tokens in Quebec were light weight, with many counterfeits circulating along with the
genuine pieces. As commerce became more regular the banks instituted a policy of
accepting the privates by weight only. Any system of official discounting engenders
great discontent in the discountee, and to address this discomfort in the populace the
largest banks petitioned for the right to strike their own tokens. The first authorized issue
was the undated, incorrectly denominated, bouquet type "Un Sous" issued anonymously
by the Bank of Montreal in 1835. These tokens were a wonderful success, and were
released in great quantity. The following year the bank issued another token in its own
name, again with incorrect denomination. Both of these are quite common in circulated.
AUs are occasionally found. Other banks imitated the BOM pieces, also various
entrepreneurs. The imitations all have the denomination correctly styled in the singular.
None of the imitations are as common as the Bank of Montreal prototypes, but most can
be found.
The bouquet sous were succeeded by the "habitant" tokens of the Insurrection
year 1837. These pennies and halves were issued by City Bank, Bank of Montreal, and
Banque du Peuple. They're not as common as bouquet sous... The habitant on the
obverse was associated in the mind of the Francophone public with Georges Papineau,
key figure in the rebellion. One can gauge their popularity and the inadequate quantity
released by the normal wear of surviving specimens. Most are banged up G. High grades
are distinctly not around.
When the insurrection was crushed (thereby becoming a "rebellion") Papineau
escaped to the USA. It was thought that it simply wouldn't do to have money circulating
with the arch-rebel's portrait, never mind that it really wasn't him. Bank of Montreal
planned to replace the well loved habitant tokens with pieces showing the lovely "side
view" portrait of the bank. The tokens ordered, struck, and paid for, the manager decided
he didn't like them, wouldn't let them circulate, and the few surviving specimens are now
infrequent auction items.
The same three banks which cooperated on the Habitant tokens essayed another
collaboration starting in 1842 with the "front view" tokens. These pennies and halves
were popular and were issued in large quantities. They are much more common than
bouquet sous, and are available in gratifyingly high grades.
The Habitant type was revived by the Quebec Bank in 1852. These are not rare,
but are not particularly common either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Canadian Token Lorraine,a plus for history:icon_thumright:It's so funny I found a spoon & cars today to,didn't take a picture of the spoon tough,will post after I comment on yours..You do a Job well done on your photos & all the information about your Finds,your Gold & Silver will be next:hello2:WTG,,HH

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy hunting next hunt!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet old find lorraine, keep hitting those rocks.:leprechaun-hat:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a coin/token, I wonder if the metal would hold up to
a little "restoration"? But being that old, probably best
to leave it alone. Nice find Lorraine. Gold Nuggets :hello:

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go Lorraine !
You just reminded me that I found one here in NY on land about 10 years ago. I will have to check it out.
Nice hit.
Get some more!
Gary G.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like thats been there for a while...some nice old stuff coming from that spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread