Question about fish

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I have been hunting a few times but haven’t been finding anything at all. Like this afternoon I ended up with a grand total of 3 pennies and some junk. My question is.... do you know anything about sturgeon? For the last few weeks people have been saying there is a rather large one going up and down the river where I hunt. My son’s mother in law lives on that river and they have seen it too. I was shoulder deep in the water this afternoon when everyone started yelling and pointing. I thought it was a manatee but when I finally actually heard what they were saying it was a big sturgeon. Even the people at the restaurant across the river were standing and pointing. Some were saying it was 4 feet and others said no it was at least 6 feet. So I backed myself into the shallow water just to be safe. I am not afraid of the manatee when they come up to me but I know nothing about sturgeon. Any comments?

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are harmless...they dont have teeth.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out boating in a river near Silver Springs (By Ocala) and saw some HUGE fish and were told by others boaters nearby by that they are River Sturgeon. I've never heard of that either..... but I don't know everything (surprised myself) that is in Florida waters. Glad to see you on here mumszie

kinigit

Jul 19, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Detector(s) used
Dual Field PI, Stingray 2, Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup harmless. They are bottom feeders <http://www.stewart.army.mil/dpw/fish/STURGEON_facts.htm>. Maybe they have been eating all the gold:) I am sure it would be terrifying to get bumped by something that big though.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There rubbery mouth is made for vaccuming up the shells, clams, etc. They can get very large and older than us. It is rather rare to see one too and a four footer is still a baby.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: Not familar with your area, but I would check with the local Fish&Game and find out if sturgeon are native to the area. If not, Bull shark are known to migrate up freshwater rivers and streams. :dontknow:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sturgeon is the common name used for some 26 species of fish in the family Acipenseridae, including the genera Acipenser, Huso, Scaphirhynchus and Pseudoscaphirhynchus. The term includes over 20 species commonly referred to as sturgeon and several closely related species that have distinct common names, notably sterlet, kaluga and beluga. Collectively, the family is also known as the true sturgeons. Sturgeon is sometimes used more exclusively to refer to the species in the two best-known genera, Acipenser and Huso.
One of the oldest families of bony fish in existence, sturgeon are native to subtropical, temperate and sub-Arctic rivers, lakes and coastlines of Eurasia and North America. They are distinctive for their elongated bodies, lack of scales, and occasional great size: sturgeons ranging from 7–12 feet (2-3½ m) in length are common, and some species grow up to 18 feet (5.5 m). Most sturgeons are anadromous bottom-feeders, spawning upstream and feeding in river deltas and estuaries. While some are entirely freshwater, very few venture into the open ocean beyond near coastal areas.
Several species of sturgeons are harvested for their roe, which is made into caviar — a luxury food which makes some sturgeons pound for pound the most valuable of all harvested fish. Because they are slow-growing and mature very late in life, they are particularly vulnerable to exploitation and to other threats, including pollution and habitat fragmentation. Most species of sturgeons are currently considered to be at risk of extinction, making them more critically endangered than any other group of species.[SUP][2]

although they have no teeth and are generally gentile creatures, the frequencies transmitted by the fisher cz20 metal detector have been known to cause the large fish to "spear" the unfortunate metal detectorist using the machine in waters where sturgeon swim.

[/SUP]

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to hear you're safe mumszie,be careful out there:hello:,,HH

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dang, learn something new every day on here.... didn't know they were down south too, from what I read on the link posted, you are safe IF you aren't in a boat, :-)

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom feeders. No worry. If you like fish, you would love these. The meat has a mild flavor, if smoked mmmmmm tasty.HH GFP

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Mumszie, I am so glad to see you're back! I'd be making sure it's a sturgeon. a shark could just ruin your pedicure! How was your trip with your Sis? & as always, I know the gold is just around the corner.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Mumszie,

So glad to "hear" from you.

I'm sorry that I cannot give you any insight regarding sturgeon, but I'm learning a lot about them by reading the replies on your thread.

Stay safe, and good luck out there

Lorraine

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to read that you are still swinging the coil every now and then Mumszie.
Having a fish the size of a sturgeon swim by you would ruin your concentration
while detecting for sure. Especially when the large fish is still a baby at 4' long!
Gold Nuggets :hello:

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mumszie,
MAKE SURE WHAT the people are identifying are actually Sturgeon ! Be carefull.
We have fresh water sturgeon in our fingerlakes and St Lawrence River.
Although I have not come in contact with any diving, All the divers say they are harmless and curious like most fish. (they have a sucker mouth)
Can I ask, What does the Mum stand for with your username?
Is it a reference to Chrysanthemums ?
I grow 60,000 8 inch mums every year.
Good luck,
Stay safe,
Gary G.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I thought I'd share some pictures that my daughter in laws mother took of the fish in question. They live on the river where I hunt and this came right up to their sea wall one day. Sorry the pictures are better but.. you get what you take.

IMG_4157_zps3d7fb36d.jpg

IMG_4152_zpse5695d4d.jpg

IMG_4148_zpse91e8dc2.jpg

I guess since I'm not able to get out as much as I want anymore I will start haunting T-net to enjoy all the finds you g&g's are finding.

beckleeson

Jul 19, 2012
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
TESORO Cutlass II µMAX , TESORO Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I'm just south of you and we don't have the river sturgeon. Your really lucky to get those awesome pics!

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is sturgeon where caviar comes from --eggs

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest: