Beach Hunting Question......just curious.

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the beaches near me have some nice hotel areas where the swimmers are fairly congregated. However, there are vast stretches of beach with nothing but residential housing. How much time do guys spend in these areas? I realize that where items are dropped is not necesarily where they end up.....just wondering how productive those areas are with much fewer swimmers. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Hag730 said:
Some of the beaches near me have some nice hotel areas where the swimmers are fairly congregated. However, there are vast stretches of beach with nothing but residential housing. How much time do guys spend in these areas? I realize that where items are dropped is not necesarily where they end up.....just wondering how productive those areas are with much fewer swimmers. :icon_scratch:

Fewer people, fewer drops.

thinkin2

Mar 30, 2007
James Island, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
Well, one way you could look at this is that lots of those beachfront houses are rentals and usually a new renter comes in each week. I love hunting those areas and have made some of my best finds over the years on those stretches of beach. And, especially if those beaches haven't gone through re-nourishment projects, good items have been getting lost for many years and when the sand is right it can be very productive. I wouldn't pass up hunting those areas once in a while.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost items are where you find them. Think of MD'ing as being outside enjoying not having to cut the grass, clean out the garage, or spending time with the ole lady in a shoe store. Some of my best finds have been near the rental homes as they get less hunters. You can learn more from this Link.
The Golden Olde

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a thought for you to consider. The stretch of beach I usually hunt is several miles long. Typically there are areas on this beach that see most of the daily activity, and even the heaviest weekend activity. But, on those weekends the entire beach is often packed from end to the other. Now those busier spots get pounded to death all week long by an entire militia of hunters, but I seldom see another hunter working these lesser used stretches of the beach. When I want to find an abundance of targets you know where you can often find me.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is yet ANOTHER opinion. Stop thinking about it, go pick yourself a piece of beach 50-yards long x 25-yards wide, a grid the goods out of it. When you're done, come back and do the same thing the next day with a new piece of beach. You don't need to read a book, or get our advice, you just need to get out on the sand and get to work. You'll learn more than we could EVER teach you, in 50-hours of headphone experience on your machine. Follow YOUR gut and hunches. If you use the fundamentals, go slow, overlap your swings and scrub the sand with your coil, you'll find a lot more than many of the "old pro's." Big Gold!

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had my first beach hunt yesterday and I stayed away from the busy section and focused on a stretch along the bike path near the row of fancy pant houses. Didn't score much but it was fun and with a few more times out I should have a pretty good feel for this beach.

gold4us

Aug 6, 2012
Kingsland, TX
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Excalibur 800
Minelab SD2200
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to pic a start point on a beach and start walking a www pattern until I hit an area that has more targets, pull tabs or coins, then I will pound the ground until I clear it of targets. Then i start walking my www pattern, Rinse and repeat.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to pic a start point on a beach and start walking a www pattern until I hit an area that has more targets, pull tabs or coins, then I will pound the ground until I clear it of targets. Then i start walking my www pattern, Rinse and repeat.

The area with pulltabs, just keep walking. They are lightweight trash and it's doubtful any heavies will be with them. When you hit patches of coins or fishing weights, THAT is where you want to slow down!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread