Sizes of Minelab Excal shafts.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am planning to get some carbon fiber tubes to make my own straight shafts. It looks like the lower rod is 3/4" and the upper(the rod that the lower slides into is 7/8". In other words I need a tube with 3/4" ID and 7/8" OD. Is this all correct? I am getting the tube from China and it is in metric/millimeters, so I want to be very precise. If need be, I can also shim another tube inside and epoxy in place. I just want to make sure I have the correct size/sizes before I order it. I also plan to make the handle out of carbon fiber instead of aluminum like the Anderson shafts, no reason to have metal within range. Thanks in advance, Steve. Yes I could use aluminum, but I want to keep all metal away from the detection area, makes the detector more sensitive of course, and I want it as light as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
I made a straight shaft for my Excal from an aluminum tube I found somewhere around the house. The inner diametre of the tube is 18.5 mm and it fits perfectly. The lower rod of my Excal is a little bit worn so I wrapped one layer of thin tape around it and it's been serving me well eversince. The outer diametre of your carbon fibre tube shouldn't matter too much. Inner diametre between 18.5 and 19 mm should be fine.

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes the conversion for 3/4" to mm is 19.05 mm. So 19 mm should work. But I havent seen 19 mm ID. Tubing is measured on the outside-OD. But if I can find it, If the lower rod is too thick, I can sand with fine sand paper until it fits. EDIT, I found it US made, but it is twice as expensive. I will keep looking, but it is less than the Anderson shafts. Edit again. I found it for less at a better place. I can get 1 .750" ID and .880"? by 72" long wall thickness is .066, this is the thicker one. There is a .125 wall thickness but that is overkill. I can get 2, and make 2- 1 piece rods and make a break down rod with the left over pieces. And make 3 carbon fiber handles. And still be ahead of the anderson prices. I think I will go for this.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread