Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my being attacked by a sting ray - one morning we went to a spot loaded with sting rays
we both had masks and proper foot wear
I started toi dig a target - all of a sudden from my bottom left a sting ray came up and tried to eat one of my fingers on my scoop hand
scared the crap out of me - when I jerk away it tried to hide up my bathing suit and gave me an electric shock
(certain types of rays can give a shock just like an electric eel) =and this was one of them
Whydah was not to far away and saw me jerking around
luckily I wear lycra bike shorts under my bathing suit to prevent chafing (which Whydah doesnt)
and the ray took off
after that we both made sure to give them a bit of room or shoo-ed them away with our coil

Upvote 0

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch! Don't like things that swim...except on the end of my fishing line....or deep fried!

Glad you're okay.

Anita

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ha ha wow not what i was thinking from the title for some reason i was thinking about the movie deliverance.lol

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ain't it fun! :laughing7: They can be pesky down here in the river, especially the smaller ones. Shoo them away and they will often come back. Expect it has something to do with all the debris being turned up by the scoop and coil. :dontknow: Glad you didn't take a hit. :icon_thumright:

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scary:thumbsup:Glad to hear you guys where safe,,HH

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you are ok. Scarey encounter needless to say.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH man, I can't decide if that's hilarious or sad! Since you weren't actually injured, I'll go with funny. That's a heck of a story for "wierdest things to happen while" contest.

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
They seemed to be very agressive... they would turn rite around and swim at us.... I was doing the shuffle walk after that..... we saw a few bigger ones that I didn't want any part of.... a couple sea turtles... ( Small ) and a morae eel too... Lots of spiny sea urchins and parrot fish... they love the coral.....I could hear them chomping on the coral when I was looking underwater for the coins.....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They seemed to be very agressive... they would turn rite around and swim at us.... I was doing the shuffle walk after that..... we saw a few bigger ones that I didn't want any part of.... a couple sea turtles... ( Small ) and a morae eel too... Lots of spiny sea urchins and parrot fish... they love the coral.....I could hear them chomping on the coral when I was looking underwater for the coins.....

You have me drooling. The one thing I really miss is gin clear water, provides a lot of entertainment to see all the sights that are going on around you between targets. :icon_thumright:

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ha ha wow not what i was thinking from the title for some reason i was thinking about the movie deliverance.lol

sonofadigger, that's just not a normal image that would pop into a sane man's mind. I was thinking more like they drank some water at a catina and "montezuma" attacked them.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Whydah stayed away from the drinking water
Im diabetic - dont drink alcohol and had to watch it on the soda
so i drank alot of water
I was fine the first 8-9 days
but am still feeling their waters effects now
got some sort of stomach bug still

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first saw the title of this thread I was picturing them both dragging an entire galleon to shore! :laughing7: They've certainly found enough to load one. :icon_thumright:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
so i drank alot of water

I went to Mexico a couple years ago (kept the detector at home unfortunately), but like you, I was fine for the first few days, but after getting home something wasn't right. I think it may have been the ice because I believe the resort had water filters, but who knows where the ice came from.

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so i drank alot of water

Ouch! I hope you feel better. I was only kidding, but the water thing is better than being made to squeal like a pig. Remember in the future to only drink bottled water and if you do partake in beer drinking...if it is in a can, clean the top. If it's bottled and comes from a fridge it's generally okay. If it comes from a bin or cooler filled with ice water...pass. The seals on bottles are loose and the bad water can seep in and contaminate the contents.
Man I've drank too much beer to know this!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get outa my way!

Very surprised you lasted 8 - 9 days.
I have not traveled in Mexico for decades but remember that feeling as it was yester day.
Where the water is shallow, drinking un bottled water, brushing your teeth with tap water and sucking ice cubes is a no no
You can also get it from eating raw vegetables or salad.
I don't know about now but we used to refer to it as the Aztec two step or Montezuma's revenge

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
lucky ... The croc hunter not so... that would have given me major willies.........

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only odd but shocking Casper.

Maybe it thought it saw a ghost?
Usually when rays are disturbed, they swim away.
Does your scoop have a metal handle? The electric ray could of sensed a change in the gravational field.

As rays are bottom feeders , it may of come up for food suspended in the water from your scooping.

In some areas rays are hand fed as tourist attractions, but I doubt anyone would hand feed an electric ray.

Just out of curiiosity how bad was the shock, I have read that it can be anywhere from 8 volts to 200 volts. Also curious what it looked like (was it spotted)?

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was wondering the same thing, how much of a shock? A tingle or felt for a while? Glad he did'nt get to the family jewels! lol! Great info from the other post

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread