Stealth 720 vs Digatto T-Rex

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don't know anything about the situation with PI Rat, but I do have a
Stealth 720i scoop with 48" wood handle and the lift assist handle.

I use it in the wet sand and I really like it. I like that it's big. That gives me
a choice between digging a full scoop so I can go deep quickly, or digging
a shallow, wide scoop that's lighter weight when I think my target is shallow.

I should also point out that I'm tall (6'6", or about 198 centimeters to you
non-Americans), and the 48" handle works fine. I got the short handle because
I didn't think the longer handle would permit me to store the scoop in my
Camry's trunk. (And now that I have it, I think I was right.)

However, I'm only detecting in wet sand and shallow water, up to about ankle
deep. If I start detecting in waist deep or shoulder deep water, maybe I'll
regret the shorter handle. I'll find out soon, now that the hot weather is
starting.

By the way, I don't use the 720i in dry sand. It's much easier to use a
smaller, metal hand scoop for that. But in the wet sand, I really do like
my 720i. I strongly recommend the lift assist handle to make it easier
to lift heavy loads of wet sand. It eases the strain on the hands nicely.

--Tom

Tall Tom: I am four inches less tall than you and use the Stealth 720i with 54 inch wood handle when l hunt waist deep and deeper water. I have set the lift assist at 48” so that I can use it more like a shorter handle when out of the water. You may be able to figure a way to extend the pole when you need to rather than buy a new pole.
For me, the longer handle is needed and works best in waist deep and deeper water.
In addition a weight belt is needed when you get into chest to chin deep water to hold your position.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess Pi Rat is not going to show his name again after his whining about Chuck's Scoop. He doesn't even have the courage to admit he was wrong.

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
has anyone used/tried the nice travel handle that chuck makes? think its a model S10?

I C THE LITE

Mar 11, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
minelabs- se pro and excaliber, ace250, tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw this post and i know that I am joining the party late but I would like to put a Thank You out to all of the responses on the differences and similarities of the different scoops as well as the pole lengths. As for PI Rat, a little common courtesy should be rendered to Chuck and his business for rectifying your dilemma.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm late to the party here too, but I want to say that I love the 720i and appreciate the volume I can dig with one scoop. Yeah, its heavy, but I also am a senior and haven't had any problems handling/hauling except for the times that the large waves have a say in the matter.

Also, when I ordered my scoop (over the phone), I have never been treated nicer or more professionally by Lyndia who went a GREAT deal out of her way to get my scoop on its way to me. I knew when I read the original complaint that something wasn't right and Chuck's offer is right in line with what I have seen of the Sunspot company. Hopefully the OP or Chuck will post here re what the final action was on this matter.

Chuck-N-Detroit

Oct 18, 2010
Warren, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Equinox and Deus
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Stealth 720i

I'm late to the party here too, but I want to say that I love the 720i and appreciate the volume I can dig with one scoop. Yeah, its heavy, but I also am a senior and haven't had any problems handling/hauling except for the times that the large waves have a say in the matter.

Also, when I ordered my scoop (over the phone), I have never been treated nicer or more professionally by Lyndia who went a GREAT deal out of her way to get my scoop on its way to me. I knew when I read the original complaint that something wasn't right and Chuck's offer is right in line with what I have seen of the Sunspot company. Hopefully the OP or Chuck will post here re what the final action was on this matter.

Yes, late to the party and I even forgot about it. I never heard from him again. I really don't want to argue but when someone accuses me of stealing $10, well I guess you need to defend yourself.

Thanks for the nice comments and you made Lyndia's day.

Chuck

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, late to the party and I even forgot about it. I never heard from him again. I really don't want to argue but when someone accuses me of stealing $10, well I guess you need to defend yourself.

Thanks for the nice comments and you made Lyndia's day.

Chuck

I'm guessing he was probably a shill for another scoop maker. He hasn't been back since this first days of this thread. You make an awesome scoop Chuck! I love my 720i !

eagle52

Greenie
May 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
720i was my choice and it handles rocky and clay bottoms better than any scoops because of pointy front , it is heavy- built yourself a Styrofoam floater/sifter and you do not have to carry the scoop it will float behind you.
Jan
PS: Customer service was Excellent even to Canada

Last edited:

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently purchased one of Chuck's scoops. I was torn between the T Rex, Stavr, and Stealth. I spoke to Chuck on the phone and he was more than generous with his time and advice. He took the time to answer all of my questions and address all of my concerns. I got my scoop and I am very happy with it. It does move a tremendous amount of material! I hunt mostly beaches in New England and I am very impressed by how my Stealth scoop is able to pick in between the rocks and pry them out of the way. I also ordered one of Chuck's wooden handles and it has proven to be a perfect match for that scoop. These handles are very strong yet extremely light!

I have only heard good things about Chuck and my lengthy phone conversation with him was further proof about the caliber of person that he is. Chuck, you make a great product and your customer service was excellent. I don't believe that I would not have gotten that type of help with anyone else. Keep up the good work!:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread