Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Find that would make any pirate proud.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2012
    CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
    571 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Awesome looking bird, How about 14K.

us
    May 2012
    Florida
    Minelab Safari Minelab X-Terra 305
    71 times
    Splat!

us
    ARRG

Feb 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword.
    75 times
    Shipwrecks
    I forgot a few things. If he does something that you dont want him to do stop it early, once they start doing something for a while, it is hard to stop them. Nip it in the bud. The way and about the only way to get their attention and stop them, is if they are on your arm or hand, shake your hand, just enough to make a shaky perch, or if on your shoulder do the same. They dont respond to yelling, of course that encourages yelling. And when you shake, say NO! They will relate NO! to a shaky perch, which all birds dislike. They do respond to treats. Keep the treats for treats, and when they do something good, such as talking, doing something you tell it to do. And as soon as they do it, very quickly because they wont relate the trick and a treat, give the treat and say something supportive like "thats good" and say it very nicely. Sunny responds well to this and gets all giddy when I say "good". He does something different when I say good for doing a good thing, and when food is good. They do a lot of clicking to make sounds, will mimic sounds they hear with clicking, like the gurgling of the coffee maker, shaving my face, other things. They will actually talk with you and to you, it is just not as clear as some parrots. Treats might be pieces of walnuts, peanuts, that kind of thing. For food that they like occasionally, fresh cooked pasta and rice, scrambled eggs, soft cooked fish and do like to tear open chicken leg bones to get the marrow. they do make a mess though. Try to always provide new clean seeds or pellets, pellets are a lot less mess, but they prefer seeds, and they make a mess. And clean water,they often take baths, and wont if water is dirty. They will go in shower with you and will take a shower. We have asuction cup perch made just for showers. also they like to play in cardboard boxes. make sure you cut a couple doors, so they dont feel closed in. After a while playing in boxes, they really look forward to new boxes.
    Last edited by stevemc; Sep 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
    tnt-k9 likes this.

us
    Feb 2008
    SE Missouri
    garage sale oldie
    847 times
    TH'ing, fishing, reading, cooking
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldshuz View Post
    Splat!
    perish the thought
    lorraine likes this.
    dancing in the fire!

Charter Member
    us
    tokameel

May 2012
    Mequon, Wi
    In 1974- White. Now a Garrett Ace 250. 8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
    48 times
    Looking for Error coins from the bank. Update: I can MD on my wheelchair!
    Bounty, Ahab, Pequod, Starbuck or my favorite Queequeg
    lorraine likes this.
    Oh 12/21/12 (on the Mayan calender), Where is thy sting?

us
    Oct 2009
    2143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    perish the thought
    "Splat" would actually be a very fitting fitting name for our cockatiel. We stopped clipping her wings because even clipped, they can figure out how to still fly. Anyway, our's never was very good at landing and tends to crash into things instead of landing.

us
    Alex

Jul 2012
    Rhode Island
    Garrett AT Gold, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett Pro Pointer.
    110 times
    I had a sun conure named Don. I named him after Don Mattingly. what a great bird he was. Good luck with the new parrot. He will beat any treasure you will find.

I think "Jack" is a good name for him.

Mar 2010
    Dutch Caribbean
    1175 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    ORO!

2nd suggestion

us
    May 2011
    Marietta, GA
    Minelab Excalibur II
    55 times
    Shipwrecks
    I second, third ORO!

us
    Sep 2011
    St Petersburg Fl
    Minelab Excalibur ll
    5 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Our parrot is a male eclectus , bright green. He made the voyage with us down the intercoastal from NJ to Fl west coast and just loves to be on the boat. His name is squid , the name often given to a cabin boy. He sings the popeye song , yo ho a pirates life and over 100 words and frazes . A freind calls him calamari. Good luck with your new freind . ARRRG !
    lorraine likes this.

Mar 2010
    Dutch Caribbean
    1175 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc View Post
    I forgot a few things. If he does something that you dont want him to do stop it early, once they start doing something for a while, it is hard to stop them. Nip it in the bud. The way and about the only way to get their attention and stop them, is if they are on your arm or hand, shake your hand, just enough to make a shaky perch, or if on your shoulder do the same. They dont respond to yelling, of course that encourages yelling. And when you shake, say NO! They will relate NO! to a shaky perch, which all birds dislike. They do respond to treats. Keep the treats for treats, and when they do something good, such as talking, doing something you tell it to do. And as soon as they do it, very quickly because they wont relate the trick and a treat, give the treat and say something supportive like "thats good" and say it very nicely. Sunny responds well to this and gets all giddy when I say "good". He does something different when I say good for doing a good thing, and when food is good. They do a lot of clicking to make sounds, will mimic sounds they hear with clicking, like the gurgling of the coffee maker, shaving my face, other things. They will actually talk with you and to you, it is just not as clear as some parrots. Treats might be pieces of walnuts, peanuts, that kind of thing. For food that they like occasionally, fresh cooked pasta and rice, scrambled eggs, soft cooked fish and do like to tear open chicken leg bones to get the marrow. they do make a mess though. Try to always provide new clean seeds or pellets, pellets are a lot less mess, but they prefer seeds, and they make a mess. And clean water,they often take baths, and wont if water is dirty. They will go in shower with you and will take a shower. We have asuction cup perch made just for showers. also they like to play in cardboard boxes. make sure you cut a couple doors, so they dont feel closed in. After a while playing in boxes, they really look forward to new boxes.
    When it comes to animals stevemc is correct. Positive re-enforcement for good/wanted behavior and immediate correction for unwanted behavior. People who leave their dogs home all day and come home to find a puddle 5 hours after it was made start yelling at the dog means nothing to the dog other than dad or mom is home and they are yelling at me because they are just as glad to see me as I am to see them.

us
    Jul 2012
    West Coast Florida
    TESORO Cutlass II µMAX , TESORO Sand Shark
    11 times
    Ponce
    lorraine likes this.

us
    Jun 2012
    Michigan
    Excal II E-trac
    172 times
    Metal Detecting
    I saw Pete and Pulltab in the list.

I'd suggest PulltabPete but that is already in use.

How about Oro24?

Enjoy!
    "Silver Train is coming' think I'm going to get on now, oh yeah" - Jagger/Richards

Charter Member
    us
    Lady Pirate

Jul 2011
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
    462 times
    Zeppelin
    Last edited by Lady Pirate; Sep 23, 2012 at 09:47 AM.

us
    Feb 2010
    East/West Coast
    Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
    545 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Corona (like the beer) spanish meaning Crown, from latin! Ancient Greek meaning "garland, wreath"
    Why because He's the King!!!

Snt
    Esse quam videri

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links