Reflections of a Summer Seasons Passing

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reflections of a Summer Season's Passing

2012, what a strange Mding year it has proven to be, the lesson learned both priceless and painful. When I look back on the first few months of this year it seemed a given that the beach would yield presents of gold and silver with only a bit of effort, even more if one dedicated himself to that effort. In sharp contrast, beginning with the arrival of the first “no named storm”, the following months quickly became the opposite and they have continued to persist. I don’t know that I have seen such a radical change, from frequent riches to fortunate scrap at what seemed the blink of an eye.

But there has still been many treasures realized and witnessed, sections of beach peppered with a variety of starfish, a big toe that endured the assault of a miniature shark, the “all to funny and entertaining” encounters with the curious minds of children, their uncontrolled laughter, excitement and expressions forever etched into my memories. And then there is the education received during these tough hunting days, the new tactics attempted and tried certain to earn me rewards in the near future. What I have not recently found in gold and silver I have greatly discovered in regards to the ever-changing life-cycle of the beach. Nothing ever stays exactly the same, not even for a day. This bit of painful education is certain to serve me well on down the road. Truth is, I feel lucky every time I step onto the beach, as I am most fortunate just be there so often. This is what I have learned so far in 2012. Never take the beach for granted, but certainly cherish each moment spent there. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting for the enjoyment, relaxation, excercise and surprises is the reason I go. Everytime I go out I get a sense of fulfilment even though I may not find gold. I feel sorry for those that go only to find gold because greed never makes you happy.

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Amen to that. Well said.

mike3366

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Les West Central Fl said:
Detecting for the enjoyment, relaxation, excercise and surprises is the reason I go. Everytime I go out I get a sense of fulfilment even though I may not find gold. I feel sorry for those that go only to find gold because greed never makes you happy.

I couldn't say it better myself . I enjoy being out hunting for the same reasons . If I only find clad , pull tabs and bottle caps I had a good day . I see too many hunters out looking for the gold only and forgetting about just being out and enjoying the beach , park or woodlands we hunt . KARMA will take care of the greedy !

mike3366

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big , when out on our boat my brother always stops in the middle of cape cod bay and says " let's just take a few and take it all in ". We sit there and look around enjoying the ocean , the smell and warm sun shining on us . As we are on the beach or where ever we are hunting stop and take it all in . A great post thank you .

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful post. It really is nice and the best part, for you, it never ends. Can't you hit the beaches year round in Florida? And I bet those gold and silver finds are just waiting for you this Fall, Winter and Spring...

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Well said. I love the beach, it is literally my front yard (from 6am to 10pm anyway, then I go and hide behind
some gas station)

PICT0001.JPG

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100 % agree.
Every day is a good day. Just to be healthy enough to detect is what it's all about. Peace, relaxing, but yet hard work. The little targets we dig are nothing more than a great reward for hard work we do.
I take it serious but respect every day wether I find something cool or not. Thank god I can drive, dig, and swing a coil. You never know what can happen to you. Cancer breakouts everywhere, traffic accidents, unemployment, and on and on.

I have learned to have great respect for what I have and can do. Wife, son, a nice home, we have secure jobs and are able to pay the bills.
Being able to scuba and detect are just a bonus.
HH
Gary G.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Excellent thoughts to ponder, Bigscoop.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments regarding this fun hobby and the interesting lessons it teaches us.

Lorraine

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big , when out on our boat my brother always stops in the middle of cape cod bay and says " let's just take a few and take it all in ". We sit there and look around enjoying the ocean , the smell and warm sun shining on us . As we are on the beach or where ever we are hunting stop and take it all in . A great post thank you .
Yeah, we take things for granted sometimes, so every now and then I stop, look around and smile.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Well spoken BigScoop. I spent the spring up to now with a bacterial infection, and finally, I'm seeing progress with the recovery. I Never got out once, But the words you spoke brought back all the good memorys and has refreshed the kid in me again. Thanks BigScoop.....:icon_thumleft:

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, everytime I go to the beach when I take a break up in my chair, drink a soda and take it all in and thank God im spending the day in paradise. this year ive only been out less then ten times for a few hours each time, im recoverying myself from surgerys . When some one tells you "well at least you still have your health " thank them cause thats the best complement youll ever get, and everytime your at the beach metaldetecting thank God ! , cause your doing what you luv

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Such a nice Reflection,I grew up on the islands so loving Ocean Water with a passion,getting to the cali beaches as much as I can reminds me of home & my Family:hello2: IMG_2218.JPG

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably shouldn't admit this, but there are days when I go to the beach all loaded up and 100% ready to hunt, and well, I just pull out the easy chair and put up the canopy and take a nice long nap! :laughing7: I wake up, low tide has long since passed, I grab a snack out of the cooler, and then I go home after a most excellent day at the beach. If someone ask, "Do any good at the beach today?"......I just reply, "No, pretty darn slow over there today." :laughing7: (Just another lesson learned during this slow summer.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well spoken BigScoop. I spent the spring up to now with a bacterial infection, and finally, I'm seeing progress with the recovery. I Never got out once, But the words you spoke brought back all the good memorys and has refreshed the kid in me again. Thanks BigScoop.....:icon_thumleft:

Didn't know you were feeling poorly. Nice to hear you're back up and running again. :icon_thumright: By the way, I have plenty of room under the canopy and an extra easy chair if you want to do some serious beach hunting in the warm air and shade sometime. :laughing7:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't know you were feeling poorly. Nice to hear you're back up and running again. :icon_thumright: By the way, I have plenty of room under the canopy and an extra easy chair if you want to do some serious beach hunting in the warm air and shade sometime. :laughing7:

Thanks BigScoop..It would be hard to turn down a deal like that, maybe next year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions