Feast or Famine and Sometimes BOTH!!!! ARGH!

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
TWICE this week I've gone hunting at low tide and got pings EVERYWHERE. Some stronger than others, some only sweep one way and not the other (trash) and some just little chirps but on two days this week, they were EVERYWHERE... and then I'd dig and dig and dig... and NOTHING.

I found a sinker and some kind of buckle but that's it...

What the...?????

I've got my Garrett Pro Pointer and I dig and I point and it FREAKS OUT and then I dig and dig and dig and dig....

It keeps FREAKING OUT and NOTHING...

AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

What am I doing wrong?????

Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
try turning your sensitivity down. sounds like you are getting false signals. I'm not familiar with your machine but if you are hunting the wet sand it is possible that your machine is not good for salt water. good luck!!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck next hunt with great machine. Can you check one.
Have you great day.
The gold is there and its under sand.
Hamid

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick to the Dry Sand!

Annie: If you are using the Bounty Hunter TK4, you would be better off detecting on Dry Beach Sand.
I like to use a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 in the dry sand zone at the beach as it is light and easy to use.

When there is water seepage under the dry sand the detector will false alarm as it is detecting the ground return from mineralized water. When this happens, I walk down the beach until the detector stabilizes.

You might be able to discriminate out the ground return so that you do not detect the ground and still detect a metal objects. There is a video on U Tube of someone doing this with a different model bounty hunter. Or you maybe able to stabilize by reducing the sensitivity. However, you would be more effective if you detect on dry sand. Look for fresh drops in the towel line, or where anyone would sit: beach chairs, logs, large rocks, under steps on life guard towers (when guards are off duty). You have to catch theese drops early before they sink deep in the sand and cannot be detected.

Later you will be able to use your profits to purchase a more capable detector which can work all Zones (Dry Sand, Wet Sand, shallow water). As these detectors are expensive you would do well to watch the classifieds on Treasure Net. A multifreq fisher CZ21 would work well in the above three zones and can also be used for diving. A multifreq minelab sovereign will work well in the above three zones but will be toast if you drop it in the water. For shallow water and diving - a MineLab Excallibur is hard to beat.

You can get into water hunting cheaper with a Tesoro Sand Shark (Pulse Induction) which works great and has a life time warranty. As it does not have discrimination it works best past the first through. It is not recommended for starting out unless you like to dig everything, and dig deep.

Garrett Pro Pointers are very sensitive. I have to frequently wash then dry the pin pointer when digging in red clay soil as the soil is heavily mineralized. It also false alarms on wet sand at the beach as the sand is mineralized

Last edited:

mike3366

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Annie Sir Gals Clad is right on . I have a Garrett ace 350 took it to Browns Bank and kept getting false signals due to the mineralization . Try school yards , dry sand , parks . Good luck and happy hunting in Marshvegas !!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all part of the learning experince, land machines just don't work well in the wet sand.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
A

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!

I feel MUCH better now and know what I am up against. I can't thank you enough. You all saved me who-knows-how-much digging and insanity!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions