Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Upvote 0

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
XLT, I tried out a Minelabe Excalibur and really loved it. I'm planning on getting one here in the next couple weeks. I'm a die hard Whites user, but it seemed to be a little better than the Whites Beach Hunter ID. A little more expensive though.

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
XxX can't wait until it warms up I will be back down there to detect the beach
and hope to have a water detector so I can get wet.

D

Darod

Guys,

I noticed that you were asking about a detector for "IN" the water. I am presently looking to get one for both "IN" and "OUT" of the water. Any recommendations on which one is the best for that? :)

Rod

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Rod, I cant help much with water detectors, but it may help others if you specify shallow water detecting or under water detecting (fully submerged), welcome by the way!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROD, ALSO,You already Mentioned The Excalibur, this is what I would have sugested, as I am only familiar with the Minelab Sovereign, & know the Excalibur is the Water hunters Equivlent. the only thing, NO METER otherwise a great machine. and of course a meter isn't actually needed, I have one , but rarely use it. You don't say if you have a Price Limit. this may be whay you'r not getting the responses you want. GOODS LUCK ; jeff

D

Darod

Hey Jeff,

Well, the Excalibur was recommend by another on this forum. However, it's a bit out of my price range actually. I wanted to stay in the $500 MAX range. I know that the limits me but, I've never done this before and I'm not sure I'll love it enough to sink a ton of money into it. I'm sure everyone can understand that logic. I will be mostly on the beach and directly at the shoreline. Probably not more than 4 feet deep and any time.

Oh, thanks for the help :)

Rod

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
White's, Garrett, Fisher and Tesoro all make a detector that fits the bill of what you are looking for except they are little closer to the $600 - $700 range. If you go to this web page (Kellyco) http://www.kellycodetectors.com/Detectorcategories/watersurfdivebeachdetectors.htm you can read about the different machines and start narrowing down your search. For Tesoro you can go to their website by clicking on their name at the top of this page you are reading now.
The hardest part of determining which is the best machine, is finding honest, non-biased reviews that are upfront about the pros and cons of each machine. I like to read woodworking mags and it's not unusual to see articles where they take comparable power tools by different makers (for example table saws or routers) and put them through rigorous testing then rate them accordingly per their strengths and weaknesses. This is something I would like to see in the metal detecting mags. Unfortunately for us, it seems that whatever the detector being tested for this or that particular issue, ends up sounding candy coated. Until they test the machines side by side, we are all left in the same delimma of trying to determine which one is the best suited for our particular needs. Who amongst us wouldn't like to see the White's Beach Hunter ID, Surf PI Pro and/or Surfmaster II pony up against Garrett's Sea Hunter Mark II, Fisher's 1280x and Tesoro's Sand Shark and/or Tiger Shark. Same conditions, same targets, same everything and see who comes out wet or dry with each being scored according to their abilities and deficenies. This should be done with all the major brands using comparable machines from each to find out who's claims stand up and who's fall short. It would certainly make for some interesting reading! What do you think W&E Treasures? Help us alll out here. Let's start putting these machines head to head to see what they are really made of!

D

Darod

Sorry everyone,

Skytrooper's Fisher 1280X is sold on eBay,....I bought it ;D

Rod

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Way to go. Good luck and keep us posted on your finds.
Don't be a stranger.
xXx

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I cam across a Tesoro stingray II at a deal I could not pass up. It needed a little work but is working great after replacing the power wires due to past owner leaving battery's in it that corroded. I can not wait until summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread