Bad news for all us Sovereign GT users and Explorer SE Pro.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not making them doesn't mean they stop repairing them. The value of used sov gt will go up.

Sounds like a new sov may be coming out too

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discontinue it means that the Minelab detectors will launch new metal detectors.
We are waiting.
In my idea Sov GT never stop product by Minelab.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Definately bad news!!! Without a doubt their best beach machine. From the outside it seems not to make sense that they would kill a winning product and a category leader. My take is either it was eating into CTX sales or that Minelab is planning an up market replacement someplace between the excal and the CTX.

I guess the best move is for anyone with an older GT is to get an new one while you can.

As for the Explorer, great machine as well, but it's days were numbered from the day the Etrac came to market.

The one machine that has me scratching my head is the Safari? As a newbie last year i immediately eliminated it as too weak a contender. Doesn't offer enough for it's price point and is too close in price to an explorer. No financial reason not to step up to the more highly featured machine. Killing the Explorer will solve that problem for the Safari, but for Minelab it is a step backwards.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like possible good news if a New & improved Explorer, E-trac, & sovereign are to follow
without major price increases.

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
w/o major price increases?:laughing9:
Minelab?

We saw the price of the GT go up 400.00 in the last 2.5 years. The Se Pro should have never been launched. The E Trac was it's replacement years ago. The GT only needs a waterproof housing and to maintain the ability to switch coils and headphones. And then they can discontinue the Excal because only a very low number of divers go below 10 ft. The Excalibur is fragile. It is heavy. The hardwired coils and headphones are antiquated. JMHO

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Jeff, I disagree. Minelab dropping the GT is to beach hunters what Ford dropping the Crown Vic is to police departments. Not to mention what ford dropping the Towncar is to limo services. it leaves a gap in the If it ain't broke why fix it category. The GT, like these products, is dated. Also, like these products it is perfectly suited to the task at hand. Sure we could come up with an improvement or two for Minelab, but really, this machine is totally user friendly and ready to hunt right out of the box. If MInelab does come up with new improved GT you know it's gonna add $500 to the price.

So, here i sit with no Towncar limo's to ride in, having to learn the profile silhouette of a complete set of new law enforcement vehicles and now no easy replacement for my go-to detector if it eats the big one!!! What's next? Mickey D's doing away with the Big Mac? Then what do we do?

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was odd to have a price increase then bam its gone. To do away with a diving machine would mean fisher CZs would get that market. I kind of agree on the SE Pro.... but they had to do something..... that standard slim line coil was a piece of .... well you know. ML and whites kind of follow suit.... M6 and MXT.... larger coil ect. I still think the SE sounds better on silver and will alway have a place for old coin hunters. I wouldnt mind seeing a GREAT water machine between the Xcal and CTX as capable in and out of the water as the Sov.

Dew

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, I disagree. Minelab dropping the GT is to beach hunters what Ford dropping the Crown Vic is to police departments. Not to mention what ford dropping the Towncar is to limo services. it leaves a gap in the If it ain't broke why fix it category. The GT, like these products, is dated. Also, like these products it is perfectly suited to the task at hand. Sure we could come up with an improvement or two for Minelab, but really, this machine is totally user friendly and ready to hunt right out of the box. If MInelab does come up with new improved GT you know it's gonna add $500 to the price.

So, here i sit with no Towncar limo's to ride in, having to learn the profile silhouette of a complete set of new law enforcement vehicles and now no easy replacement for my go-to detector if it eats the big one!!! What's next? Mickey D's doing away with the Big Mac? Then what do we do?

My improvements to the GT would be no new bells & Whistles but
lighter in a housing like the X-terras with built in meter.
but no additional price increase

Water Proofing ? considering the price of the 3030 I'm not sure waterproofing the Sovereign would be a good thing, it practically doubled the price of the Etrac to make a water proof version.

unless they have water proof & regular versions at the same time

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I agree it is a shame they will stop selling them after 12/2012 If they discontinue it they will still support it for at least 3 years for warranty work since they are still selling it till December 2011 and they come with a 3 year warranty. After the warranty expires they will still repair them for as long as parts remain so you can add another 3 years at least or longer to that ........ Not sure on the earlier models, but Sov GT will be supported for probably at least another 5-6 more years...

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say the 30/30 is the general model of things to come. More bells and whistles, interfacing, perhaps a bit more versatility over all. Does little good to have several models when most of the features can now be incorporated into just a few higher end units. I'd say other manufacturers better step things up a bit if they want to stay in the game.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
My improvements to the GT would be no new bells & Whistles but
lighter in a housing like the X-terras with built in meter.
but no additional price increase

Water Proofing ? considering the price of the 3030 I'm not sure waterproofing the Sovereign would be a good thing, it practically doubled the price of the Etrac to make a water proof version.

unless they have water proof & regular versions at the same time

Jeff, one of the things us beach hunters love about the GT is its simplicity. A big part of that is No meter! It doesn't need one. You can't see a meter in the glare of the sunlite and you are going to dig almost everything anyway. Not to mention that a meter has no chance of being useful in the surf. On the dry sand a meter will serve only to confuse. Experienced GT users become experts in tone differentiation. And, the GT has plenty of tones to differentiate. That's not a handicap. It's a learned skill that makes hunting simple!

That you mention adding a meter though, neatly explains the problem with discontinuing the GT in its current form. On the off chance that ML does come out with a new and improved version, that model may include needless features that will add little to no benefit but will up the price.

BTW, as you are probably aware there is a meter add on for the current GT. I don't know anyone who uses it, but it's out there. On the forums people who use them seem to like them, but it leaves some of us scratching are heads as to why?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, one of the things us beach hunters love about the GT is its simplicity. A big part of that is No meter! It doesn't need one. You can't see a meter in the glare of the sunlite and you are going to dig almost everything anyway. Not to mention that a meter has no chance of being useful in the surf. On the dry sand a meter will serve only to confuse. Experienced GT users become experts in tone differentiation. And, the GT has plenty of tones to differentiate. That's not a handicap. It's a learned skill that makes hunting simple!

That you mention adding a meter though, neatly explains the problem with discontinuing the GT in its current form. On the off chance that ML does come out with a new and improved version, that model may include needless features that will add little to no benefit but will up the price.

BTW, as you are probably aware there is a meter add on for the current GT. I don't know anyone who uses it, but it's out there. On the forums people who use them seem to like them, but it leaves some of us scratching are heads as to why?

Sad news here, word is there is will be no new replacement for the Sovereign GT, they are discontinuing the Sovereign product line..............:BangHead:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I liked my Meter on my XS 2 Pro, I dug everything, but used it as first pinpoint.
when the numbers stopped changing drastically, I knew it was under the tip of the coil.

I hated doing without it, & haven't used my sovereign since the meter died

plus my sunray s1 probe wire is too short without the meter in between so I also loose use of that.

I now have expensive dust collectors, I'll never be able to part with :(
as, because of age, & condition, I'll never get what I want for them.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad news here, word is there is will be no new replacement for the Sovereign GT, they are discontinuing the Sovereign product line..............:BangHead:

forgive my attempt at saying how I feel, without using the expletives they so richly deserve.

the BBS technology was what made Minelab in my opinion.
it's very sad to hear this.

I hope they sell the BBS Patent to China !
Maybe I'll have a new favorite company :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have the Patrick Patriot meter for my Sov GT it is a fantastic meter, I think the best one ever made for the Sov, but I only use it when land hunting.... It is also back lighted so it can be used at night as well...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is sad that the best beach & land detector out there is going to be discontinued. I had a Minelab meter and the S-1 inline probe and sold the meter as I felt I didn't need it. Still have the Sunray inline probe and it works like a 1" coil, quite deep too.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the SE and with the ET and CTX it was a matter of time on it.... but the Sov? BBS IMO just works well on the beach and simple is the way to go on the beach..... we arent trying to distinguish a lot of targets like in a trashy park. They need to work on FBS to get the chatter out and work on the tones.... gold and other targets are just to close in sound to salt minerals IMO.... or my bad ears. I guess they figure you a can use the Xcal on the beach as well as in the water.... but you just cant tweak it..... and its built well im not aware of trouble with either the SE or Sov.

Dew

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Jeff, like everything else in life I think the meter thing is personal preference. All the experienced GT users I know not only are able to hunt successfully without the meter, they can pinpoint accurately using only tones, and can tell you with 99.9% accuracy what's coming out of the sand before they dig it.

To me and most of the regulars i hunt with a meter is useless and added weight. It's like having to take Navigation as a built in option on a new car. What a waste of money! But, that's the only way the car is built, so it you want that car you've got to take Nav. And, you are paying for it, want it or not.

AS TH has posted, looks like the GT line is done. Still, ML could come up with newer mousetrap. We'll see.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's the trend. Trying to sell an expensive single faceted general purpose machine isn't practical these days when everyone is wanting a quality do-it-all-in-nearly-any-environment machine, and they're willing to pay for the machine and it's accessories to have it. Minelab advertised the 30/30 as being an industry changing machine so I think it's clear what they're future production plans are, and I think it's a smart business move. Even if the 30/30 experiences issues they'll correct those issues and they'll continue to advance the concept. Maybe a couple of specialty machines and then one or two expensive machines that can do it all with expensive accessories. Cheaper operation for them with maximized profits. I think that's where they're heading and I think they'll remain the leader in the industry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread