Need advice on a starter metal detector

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the title says I'm looking for something that will cover many conditions. (dry sand, wet sand, and in the water, preferably waterproof) Ok I know that it would be a compromise and maybe too tall an order but I want something to get started with in the sport. Something that will let me try different stuff until I decide what I like. Then I can focus on a machine that does what I want. It could also serve as a backup when I get what I want. I immagine that a PI machine would be better but I don't know much. Cost, of course is a factor.
Any ideas? Links are welcome too.
Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest buying 6 or 8 of them and then use just the one you like the best.

OR, you could use your fingers to do what is called research on this site.

This site and others are loaded with information that would be very useful for first time buyers.

Research, research, research.

I wish I could, but I can't just hand you the the keys to life if you can't read

Thanks bud for the advice. It's really useful and doesn't seem sarcastic at all. I'm sure you aren't an ash. I've actually been been doing what you advise but I'm looking for more tailored advice. That's what these forums are for ain't it?

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, now I'm looking at the Sand Shark. What are the pros and cons? What are the other offers in that price range? Would that be a good combo with the Ace 250? I'm a water kind of guy, at least the swimming part, so I imagine I would like the water searching. I certainly had fun with my vibra tec, limited tho it is.

For the money it's a great machine, lifetime warranty as well. You'll dig more trash (PI, no discrimination) but a lot of guys do real with the Shark. I had the opportunity to use one a few times this summer and I liked it, hunts with good depth and had no problems finding fairly small targets. But my beaches are fairly clean so I wasn't digging all the time.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bud for the advice. It's really useful and doesn't seem sarcastic at all. I'm sure you aren't an ash. I've actually been been doing what you advise but I'm looking for more tailored advice. That's what these forums are for ain't it?
Dont take it personal, he talks that way to everyone...most people on here dont mind helping.

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont take it personal, he talks that way to everyone...most people on here dont mind helping.

That's what I figure, it's still rude tho. And I do appreciate the help. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions