Dual Field Tone Recognition

kinigit

Jul 19, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Detector(s) used
Dual Field PI, Stingray 2, Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All. I am the proud owner of a Dual Field and am trying to understand how to optimize my hunting with it a bit better. I used this past weekend at a local freshwater swimming hole. I know it is a no-no to use a PI in freshwater, but I went with my dad and he was using my Stingray since I figure I have the younger back to dig everything.

I know I need the book about it, but unfortunately I think I am getting that for Xmas so don't want to end up with two copies. Can someone try to explain the difference in tones to me? I dug probably 50 nails and other pieces of steel, some bullets and casings, a very small amount of change. With the exception of the pennies having a very "bright" sound I can't tell much of a difference among any of the other metals. Any hints would be awesome!

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dig it all. You will hear different sounds, and think it is a dime, or a nickel or a gold ring, but if it is deeper, it will sound different, or if a coin is on edge. Gold jewelry is not very conductive, and it comes in many mixes and variations, that will all sound slightly different. A PI does not really sound different on different metals, but does make slightly different sounds depending on conductivity, size, and depth. It is not a "no no" to use a PI in freshwater, but the stingray would have been a better choice. A PI will work anywhere, land, fresh or saltwater. It will excel in saltwater and wetsand, because it uses the conduction of the saltwater to actually amplify the power, unlike a TR or a VLF, that you have to detune in saltwater. Make a garden of different metals, and see if you can tell if they are different. Probably not much difference.

OP
OP
K

kinigit

Jul 19, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Detector(s) used
Dual Field PI, Stingray 2, Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot Steve. That was kind of the conclusion I was coming to as I hit several pennies and had them sound off just like the tons of nails I found. I didn't mind digging too much in this spot because it was nice and shallow digging with hard pan about 6 inches down. It sure does sound off on everything I doubt very much if I dig everything that I will miss anything in the top 18 inches or so as it seems to go very deep from my so far single use at the beach.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Whites says that small iron will tend to hit on the outside coil and gold and silver/copper will hit on the inside coil. An elongated bobby pin will usually give a double beep as it hits on one side of the coil and then again on the other side of the coil. However, if you turn and sweep at 90 degrees to that you will only get a single beep as it passes over the flat rather than the elongated side of the bobby pin. The unfortunate thing is that if you place a gold ring up on edge (held between two boards) it will also give you a double beep in one direction and a single beep in the 90 degree direction. The chances that a gold ring would be on edge in the wet sand or water are probably slim, but I guess it could happen if someone stepped on the edge of the ring in the dry sand and pushed it down into the sand. Get some known pieces of typical beach/water finds and experiment with them on land. I have not been able to tell what I am about to dig up with the exception of a bobby pin. I can also tell the difference between a coin/ring and a larger object like a tent stake or a toy car or soda can based on the length of the beep or size of the field I get a signal from. Although I have thought I could tell a gold ring from a coin, I am afraid the variable of target depth changes the tone of the target significantly as was already stated so I am not sure I will ever figure that one out. Good luck. Papa

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Use as low a pulse delay as possible. The faster the pulse delay, the better it is on gold jewelry. If too much pulse delay-no gold jewelry.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread