Winter Beaches

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fall is here, kids are back in school, there's still a lot of sand on the beaches, the summer beach crowd is starting to noticeably taper off, and there's even a noticeable reduction in hunters as well. Not nearly as inviting a scene when the beach appears to be void of people most of the time. I mean, what are the chances that good drops can still be consistently found when there's hardly anyone on the beach? Actually, you're chances of success can be better in the winter season then during the summer months!

Sure, most items are lost during the summer season, but if I were to guess I'd say only a very tiny fraction of those lost items end up being recovered, and I would say that is especially true here on the east coast where the increase in current and surf keeps most hunters out of the water, even the shallow water. During the summer the sand continues to come in at a surprising rate, a condition that makes finding consistent targets harder and harder with each passing day, but, during the winter a great deal of that sand gets pulled back out leaving behind what couldn't be accessed during the summer. The more sand removed, the better the hunting gets. And the best part, this sand will start getting stripped away fairly early, say around November, and it will continue to get stripped away clear into spring. North-easterners can blow in heavy and strong and when they do they can cause the tides and current to cut through the beach like a hot knife through butter, leaving behind deep cuts and troughs that haven't seen daylight for months on end, maybe even longer. To the inexperienced eye the beach might appear to be just as smooth and as flat as it was during the summer season, but to the familiar eye it becomes easier to notice that the beach is becoming steadily lower and steeper, it's color a bit grayer, the debris more frequent, the tiny ravines gradually growing in number and size, the presence of riptide washouts starting to appear near the waterline at low tide. To me this is the best and most productive time of the year to be on these Florida East Coast beaches, and in just a few more weeks things should start taking on the required changes. I can hardly wait!

"Stay thirsty my friends!" :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter is usually the best time to hunt, but there's never a guarantee on that, Last winter we had no northeaster's and no cuts of any kind so hunting was the pits, had to go elsewhere to find gold, but
thats a secret, can't let the cat out of the bag.:leprechaun-hat:

Strange. I killed it last winter, had all sorts of cuts and moving sand over here. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread