Beach detecting questions

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've read that you will get extra depth by not using the discriminator (I have an ace 250). This seems to work. But is there ever an instance where something good (non relic - just coin or jewelry) would come up in the low range - iron, foil etc so I can skip those signals? Also I'm beginning to spend more time in the wet sand area.

My machine sounds continuously as many have explained due to mineral content of the sand. If I turn up the discriminator the false signals go away. Is this how I should search or leave the discriminator off but listen for the higher value signals?

The beach I detect in Maine has big distances between high and low tide. Almost no one would ever be swimming out as far as the low tide line when the tide is high. Should I just be detecting wet sand say 10 feet from the high tide mark as thats where most swimmers would be?

Thanks for any insights.

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I dont think the Ace 250 is made for salt water sand. If you turn down or up I guess, use any disc, it loses gold first. Gold jewelry is not very conductive. Every beach is different, but in Maine I would assume the higher up on the beach, the better-to a point.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would be best to stay in the dry sand area. There should be plenty of area to keep you busy.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On your question about signals sounding or showing like pull tabs and stuff, yes rings will come across as all kinds of things. If you ignore what you think are pull tabs, you will not find gold jewelry. That is why you should not use a meter, and dig it all. Like I said before gold jewelry is not very conductive, so are a lot of things, and anything deeper than the surface. Gold jewelry is an alloy which is many different metals, and varying amounts. never reads the same on a meter, or sounds in the earphones. You have to dig it all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread