Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I entered the water and went out as far as I could - I got a couple of thin nickels - then got a huge blast
now I was hunting in all metal and when I get a huge hit - I'll usually try fanning to see what it is - usually an anchor
sometimes a huge pipe - usually I will use my tone ID mode on my CZ21 to see if it might be brass - copper or lead - which is a high tone
opposite of minelab
I did a got a high tone - have found brass parts of boats before - so wanted to see if it was something worth taking out
I fanned a little and did not see anything - scooped down about a foot and lifted - very heavy - I saw square with slit holes and knew what I had - figured "thats it" - scanned again and still got loud blast - scooped again and saw 2 more squares - now I got one in my hand and if thats all i had gotten - i would have just carried it around , but 3 - what am I gonna do with 3 - Im over 100 yards from my vehicle - and dont know if i should just leave them or what
I pick the other 2 up to see if can handle them and still hunt - no way - I run my coil again over the spot and still get a blast - what the ....
I scoop up stainless buckle and 2 more weights - then I start thinking - i hope the diver made it - having visions of finding a tank with bones under it next
I was wearing my 7mm farmer john and was wearing a zippered dive jacket - my finds belt around my waist I wear tight - so i unzipped my jacket and placed them inside- belt stopped them from going anywhere - I actually tried to hunt link this - decided to take the long walk in - was going to dump them in the shallows but once i got near shore I just went to vehicle and put them away - then went back out for the gold.
they look home made - or they are very old - belt was completely gone and Im sure it was not thin material - so must have been there a little while to have rotted away - I 'll have to weigh when i get home to see how much I got - boy I got a lot of lead this year - I found 3 other dive weights this year and all the sinkers -whew - talk about heavy metal
wonder if anyone else had hit thispile and just kept going thinking it was a manhole cover
DSC00389.JPG

Upvote 0

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Wow, that's a lot of lead! The stainless steel thing isn't the buckle - it's a stopper that's supposed to prevent the weights from slipping off the weight belt. I don't think the belt has rotted away, they are usually made of synthetic material. So I guess the Person who lost the dive weights just opened his weight belt and held the side with the buckle. So the weights slipped off the long end. Seen it many times and as a diving instructor I allways used to tell my students to never just hold the buckle side of the weight belt. These weights are worth a bit, you might sell them to a diver or on ebay. Nice find. I allways enjoy your posts. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ENDED UP WEIGHING 25LBS - 5LBS EACH

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CASPER-2 said:
ENDED UP WEIGHING 25LBS - 5LBS EACH

Casper
I think at my dive shop they sell for 2.99$ a pound? Gonna double check that next time!

SnT

kinigit

Jul 19, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Detector(s) used
Dual Field PI, Stingray 2, Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I would be surprised if the stopper slid off. If they look old they may be, the saltwater could do a number on a synthetic or natural fiber belt and especially if they were old it could have been a belt made of something much less durable than a modern nylon. That is a lot of weight I usually dove with about 15-18 pounds in a 5-6 mm wetsuit. Cool find!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that's a lot of lead! You could sell them to a dive shop, or you might try craigslist.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll just hang on to them - I found 5 others with varying weight (couple from this yr) not counting the one they confiscated at airport which was a ten lb'er

found an 8 lb'er with Whydah at a spot he should go back to - we found some old coins there and did not cover much area
so there could still be some goodies there

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I need some ten pounders. I guess hunting those colder northen waters, you are more likely to find big lead. Why did they confiscate your lead?

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
confiscated at Mex airport - they saw it on xray - or didnt see it on xray - lead blocks the rays and shows as a null area
they said it could be used to knock out stewardess - them were going to confiscate my fishing weights too, but a couple of the guys said just let it go
I brought 2 dive weights back from there last yr with no prob - once they saw what they were - those were 5 lb'ers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions