Which accessory works best: { under water, wet sand, dry sand) at the beach}

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the tide I hunt in the water (preferred) , on wet sand, or dry sand (least) with a multi frequency VLF detector (10 inch coil) and retrieve with a stand up water scoop.
I usually carry a light draw string pack on my back for (water, snacks) with a hoary hoary digging knife or bayonet under the left arm and a pin pointer / mini detector that I can retrieve by reaching in back of my other shoulder on an elastic belt slung over my shoulder.
The knife/bayonet is for protection as well as working cracks between rocks. The pin pointer/mini detector is for places that are difficult to work with a ten inch coil ( hard wired).
As my mini detector / pin pointer must be water proof and work in wet sand and underwater I have narrowed selection down to three products : Vibra-Probe 580, Vibra_Quatic 2, and Vibra_Tector 730 to replace the pin pointer that I am currently using (false alarms on wet sand, not water proof).
The Vibra-Probe 580 (1 inch tip ) comes with a holster and is closest (though less capable) to what I am currently using.
I am leaning toward the Vibra_Quatic ( no holster - not sure how to carry it) as it appears to be better suited for underwater ( 2 inch tip) with a slightly deeper detection depth.
I would love to play with the Vibra_Tector 730, but don't know if I can secure it properly (4 inch coil - looks delicate, doubt if it would be of value in any hole dug.
I know that all three are Pulse Induction and will interfere with my VLF detector within 2 feet and that the maximum detection depth is approximately 3 inches, as well as there is a problem with floating.
I would appreciate, any comments ( experience or study) on the above three devices which would aid in narrowing down/making the proper selection.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really no need for a pinpointer on the beach Vibra_Tector 730 is good, I even own a vibra, but found there was no reason to take it, just another item to carry....I hunt with excals and sov with 15 inch to 18 inch coils and have no problem finding and recovering target quickly..

I found the probe did not help me recover any faster and in fact slowed me down....... On land I want hunt with out my DetectorPro Uniprobe, on beach just don't need it..................

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter is right as the use of a good sand scoop is much faster than using a pinpointer too. When you find a target with the coil, place you foot along side and then place the scoop next to the foot and scoop it up. I don't even need to use the pinpointer mode on the detector.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH & Sandman are spot on.....once you get the technique down it's a snap. Like Sandman I don't use my machine's pinpoint feature as there is no need, even with the much larger coils like TH mentioned.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing I pinpoint at beach are the bikinis so I know where to do a pattern hunt real slow and thorough.....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions