Is it solid gold?

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need a little help folks......
Found a small gold ring marked 7 X
Does not have any noticable warn out stamp marks.
There is no karet mark stamped in it.
acid test is possitive for 14 K (I scratched it deeply when doing the acid test)
The weld where the band is joined together is not a gold color like the rest of the band.
Came out of fresh water in perfect shiny gold condition.
What does the X mean ?
Do I believe my acid test that it is 14 K?
Thanks for any help.
Gary G.

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Keep going up in tests, to see how pure it is. Gold does not tarnish or corrode, even after 400 years in saltwater. Trust your tests.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold will tarnish and discolor in salt water and sometime in fresh depending on the soil it is found in
pure gold wont and higher K wont - but 14k and lower will - usually where the ring is sized and where
the ring was joined or pieced in other areas
also depends on what the rest of the rings contents are - if you get an older gold 10 or 14k where they used silver
mix in the gold - it may blacken - others may turn green from - copper or brass mix in it
examples
9k ring from Fla. waters before and after
9k-.jpg 9kcleaned.JPG
14k ring with applied letters - possibly used silver solder which blackened in salt water
ocn bch diamond.JPG
2 older class rings - they were actually in even worse shape when first found - both cleaned up with electrolysis eventually
29CLASSRNGCRUSTED.JPG CRUSTYRING.JPG
always check your rings really good to make sure that what you think might be junk
is in fact junk - in my early early yrs - I pulled more than a couple of gold & silver ones from my junk box
because they were discolored and unmarked and thought they were junk

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found rings with the size stamped in them. Could be the 7X mark.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold will tarnish and discolor in salt water and sometime in fresh depending on the soil it is found in
pure gold wont and higher K wont - but 14k and lower will - usually where the ring is sized and where
the ring was joined or pieced in other areas
also depends on what the rest of the rings contents are - if you get an older gold 10 or 14k where they used silver
mix in the gold - it may blacken - others may turn green from - copper or brass mix in it
examples
9k ring from Fla. waters before and after
View attachment 686087 View attachment 686088
14k ring with applied letters - possibly used silver solder which blackened in salt water
View attachment 686089
2 older class rings - they were actually in even worse shape when first found - both cleaned up with electrolysis eventually
View attachment 686090 View attachment 686091
always check your rings really good to make sure that what you think might be junk
is in fact junk - in my early early yrs - I pulled more than a couple of gold & silver ones from my junk box
because they were discolored and unmarked and thought they were junk
I got a 10k ring this summer with green corrosion spots on it. I figured it had been in the water a long time. I got a 10k out of wood chips that had a brown coating on it.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep going up in tests, to see how pure it is. Gold does not tarnish or corrode, even after 400 years in saltwater. Trust your tests.
Gold will tarnish if it is sitting near a pies of copper or steel or if it sits in black muck.I have dug rings in black muck and look like a silver ring until I clean them up and find out it is Yellow gold.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weise.gif
Gold is gold.

OP
OP
N

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys.
Therev may actually be a 14 K X on the band
My two partners say not so, the 4 is a 7
I disagree with them
I'm taking it to a friend of mine who owns a large jewelry store
I will try to take a pic soon
Gotta run, time to hit the 57 degree water in NY !
atleast it is sunny today!
Good points made on this thread - lots for folks to learn
TY
Gary G.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread