Need help deciding on CTX 3030?

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Have been thinking about getting the CTX 3030. What I am concerned about is of the three users I know two have stop using it on the wet sand and salt water. The only hunting I do is on the Atlantic wet sand and surf. I would appreciate any feedback from what you have heard or experienced with the CTX on the wet sand and surf. The two user who stopped love the CTX on the dry they just say to much noise in the wet and surf. I also haven't seen any CTX machines on the beach yet, except for these users. Please let me know what you have experienced and heard. Thank you

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I bought a 3030 it would only be as a turf machine. There are much better saltwater tectors available.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know absolute zilch about saltwater detectors but i will be following this thread for sure,Ive been thinking about a T2 SE and a CTX at income tax time myself,Im familiar with the original T2 without boost/cache process but the CTX knowledge is all herese for me. I hope someone can chime in on your questions.

HH John

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
My Opinion, the 3030 is a great machine for calmer hunting condition, your area, as Max would say "ruff as bricks"...I think you already have the 3 best detectors made for hunting the Mid-Atlantic shores, if they don't find it nothing else will. Keep us informed......

If I were to go for another detector, your area..Blisstool.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I weighed in on the same thing....but as a beach machine I really couldn't see any "working end" advantage over the Excal and CZ other then the ability to change coil sizes. As OBN said, a lot of surf and current to deal with here, = a lot of drag on the stick. I can maybe see an advantage as a land unit but not all that much. Plus, one has to look at the price, especially once you start adding the accessories. Same money can buy a few used Excals and various sized coils. That's the route I went.

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
My Opinion, the 3030 is a great machine for calmer hunting condition, your area, as Max would say "ruff as bricks"...I think you already have the 3 best detectors made for hunting the Mid-Atlantic shores, if they don't find it nothing else will. Keep us informed......

If I were to go for another detector, your area..Blisstool.

Thanks for the information. Have you tried the CTX at the beach? Can you use the Blisstool in the wet? Have you used the Blisstool? PS I just watched one of your videos excellent work!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks MB, No to the 3030 for me, but like you I have one friend that has used in the ruff OC waters..he said it was better suited for calmer waters due to the issues with the ruff saltwater. Very noisey.

The Blisstool is not water proof, infact Barry the distributer said he tries to discourage saltwater hunters from using it near the wetsand, due to noise also. But I really think with a constant tuning it would pull up some of the old ship wreck treasures...kind of one of those detectors that sets in the corner for months, then the right conditions show up, and it would be the tool to have, after a good storm.

Thinking about moving to your area, Ocean View....You near there?

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Yes I built a couple houses in Ocean View. Live in the last one I built now. I am originally from Baltimore. Cried when the Colts left. Come over you will love it. Two minutes to the Bethany and you know the rest. Been digging so many quarters at 8" plus I can't move my arm and neck today. Come show me where the gold is. Go Ravens!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll be down soon to spend a week to see what the fall n winter is like. I'll contact you...................

Baltimore, Dam Colts, I cried also..infact I gave up all sports, totally.

Are you using the Excalibur to hunt with? Discriminate mod or PP..........From your list You have the perfect line up for detectors, All should cover most of your needs, and the only thing I would do would be the Peltors Mod to the excal n DF.....

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I gave up sports for years also but somehow became a Ravens fan. I use both all metal and discriminate. I use all metal when in the surf and discriminate in the wet. Some areas are so clean I can run discriminate with the sensitivity very high. I can get really deep and get smaller targets. My hearing seems to go better with the discriminate mode. In the surf or water I use pinpoint. my Excalibur II is from Ireland and I think goes deeper then most of the newer ones. It does go deeper then the new one I purchased anyway. Yes please let me know when you come over. Should have a few noreasters by then.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were doing some dirt hunting it might be worth the investment. I use an Exp SE on the beach its FBS and its a bit chattery in the surf. I cant see the investment for the machine as a salt water machine. Those machines you have are just hard to beat. Id buy a Sov before id get a 3030. I just like the Xcal/Sov tones on the beach around the salt the FBS has to many tones and gold is Soooo close in sound to salt/minerals.

Dew

mswarbrick

Greenie
Jan 5, 2010
I have a CTX 3030. Minelab came out with a downloadable update to add a saltwater setting to the menu that fixed the problem of it being chatty in saltwater

OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
I have a CTX 3030. Minelab came out with a downloadable update to add a saltwater setting to the menu that fixed the problem of it being chatty in saltwater[/QUOT

Interesting you brought up this old thread. This was almost a year ago, time flies.
I ended up getting the CTX and love it. I always use the seawater on. It works great, gets me, a much more stable machine with very little chatter. Tried without it and it is chattery. What a difference that add on makes. To bad for the first group of seawater hunters. So I glad Minelab did that programming. Fill out the CTX questions on the thread " Help neededon CTX" on this site.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions