unsuccessful hunt

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A young couple asked me to see if I could find the husbands wedding band today late in afternoon, I looked for three hours in area they felt where it was. I did not find it. Im woreout, I was about to go home when they asked. If im not tore up im gonna try sunday. If I dont find it Ill post the area on st pete bch if someone out their wants to try to help out to locate it for them. They are a couple college kids that are newly weds I really feel bad I couldnt find it, will keep posted HH capt.

Upvote 0

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
CPT, don't feel to bad about not finding the ring, it isn't always lost where they thought it was lost. Hope you get out and find it today.
Good luck out there.
Cliff

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Captain PopTop, I commend you on giving so generously of your valuable time to help this young couple find their lost wedding band.

That sand gets kicked around, the ring sinks lower and lower within a short time; it's happened to me many times.

That was so very kind of you to try to find the ring.

I wish you the best!

Lorraine

Last edited:

wreckwriter

Oct 13, 2012
Putnam County, WV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely good of you to try. Reading this post brings back some memories for me. I actually have 3 lost wedding ring stories; all from back in the late 1980s and early 1990s when I worked in the diving industry in Key Largo.

Somewhere around 1989 I was helping manage a dive shop in Key Largo. One of our instructors came in one day and told me she had lost her ring in the canal behind her house. I had a Fisher Research u/w detector and figured I could find it as long as she was certain of the loss area. I dove that canal 4 or 5 times, over an hour each time and never did find it.

A few months later, I was working the shop one day when a tourist came in asking if we rented detectors. We didn't of course but I got to talking to him and he said that his wife had lost her ring swimming off the beach behind their hotel. He had only a general idea, 100 square yards or so, where it might be. When I told him I owned an underwater detector he offered me a large sum of money to use it for the day. I thought about and finally told him I'd let him use it for a much smaller amount than he had offered if he left me his drivers license for collateral. He agreed of course.

I spent about a half hour showing him how to use the unit and off he went. I didn't think much of his chances, actually didn't think he had any chance at all. Lo and behold though, he was back in about an hour. He found the ring.

The last one happened a few years later. At this point I was a dive boat captain, still in Key Largo but with a different shop now. On this particular day we had run a bunch of divers and snorkelers out to a local wreck, the Benwood. The day was beautiful, calm seas, bright sun and one of those rare days when water visibility on the Benwood site was excellent. Everything was going great, divers had been in the water about an hour when a young couple who had been snorkeling came back to the boat. They were both visibly upset, the woman was crying.

I came down off the bridge to see what was going on and found out that they were on their honeymoon and that the wife's ring had slipped off her finger while they were floating over the wreck. She noticed it fairly quickly and they had been looking for a while with no luck. They had no idea where and, as the Benwood is a large and scattered site I honestly told them the chances of finding it were slim to none. Soon the rest of the group would be returning and we would have to move on to the second site of the trip. I felt really badly for them so I decided I would jump in and take a quick spin around the site and hope I would get lucky.

I grabbed my mask and fins and jumped in. The water directly under the boat was about 25 feet deep. We were moored off the starboard side of the wreck and I knew everyone would have followed basically the same path to reach the wreck. I grabbed a breath, swam down to a couple feet off the bottom and started swimming towards the wreck. I hadn't been under for more than a minute when I spotted a glint on the sand. Sure enough, right there on top of the sand was a big beautiful ring.

They were pretty happy to get it back, ecstatic even.I figured I'd get a big tip at the end of the trip. Nope, not a dime but I felt good about it for quite a while. Still do today when I remember it.

Thanks for bringing back these memories for me!

Tom

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You tried your best to even go out of your way to help,I know they were very thankful for all you did:icon_thumright:,,HH:hello:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice work Captain, Sorry you missed this one but you will have many more chances. Continue the Adventure my friend.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Captain PopTop

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldnt go out today to look for them I can barely walk to the kitchen for my sweet tea lemonade mix I make minus the alcohol, gave em my all and then some, I just feel bad cause they came to me for help and by not finding it I feel I let them down, just hope they dont think I pocketed it, but if someone finds a white gold wedding band on st pete bch and want to see if they could return it email me and tell me where you found it and I can let you know if that was the area they lost it and I know where they live, (in a apartment across the bch down one of the streets), im gonna try this week sometime again when feeling up to it, who knows maybee it will get found and returned to them. HH capt.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Another possibility .....do they own a dog????

Check out where this wedding band ended up:icon_scratch:

Lorraine

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
OP
OP
Captain PopTop

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, ever see the commercial where the guy opens his car with his dog? you never know,they were drinking maybee the husband swolled it drinking,.... where they lost it alot people metal detect, I know its a needle in a haystack or the ring is gonna move, it also was new area I never went to, another reason I know its hunted alot I didnt find alot of junk or coins targets were far and few between and it was a popular spot. plus im sure they probably found someone to look for them today, they said they see us all the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread