Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Man, after finding that Platinum ring 2 days ago, I really felt like the monkey was off my back. Last night's hunt yielded a bunch of yen, but nothing special other than that. I did find a stainless steel ring, but I'm not posting junk like that.

Today after work, Jason and I hit another beach for the daytime low. I have a Love/Hate relationship with this beach. It's loaded with trash, and you don't find much Yen on this beach... mostly American coinage. But on the flip side, nobody has the patience to hunt this place, and when you find gold, it's usually from a nice fat American finger. :laughing7:

We only had about 3 hours to hunt, and we started off strong.... digging bits of aluminum, pieces of ointment tubes, can slaw... you know the drill. That sh!te was everywhere. I began wondering why I even came. UGH!

Staying the course, we gradually worked our way to a more productive area, but I use that word loosely. The coins we found were old... pitted, thin as a dime, and basically worthless. But that's not why we come here. We come for the gold.

Our time was running out, and all I have is a pouch full of garbage, and a bunch of barely identifiable coins. Some, I couldn't even make out.

The last target of the day (as usual), pops out a nice brass looking ring. Big, but then again, it didn't come out clean like all of the other gold I find.

002-45.jpg

Not giving up just yet, I scanned the inside of the band and saw the stamp... 14K FG

But WOW... I've had some 10K stuff come out looking black and tarnished, but never a 14k in this bad of shape.

So Jason and I call it quits and I head home to take a shower and charge the Excal for tonight's hunt.

I put some Comet on the ring and polish it up. Turned out 10x better than it looked before.

004-26.jpg

006-18.jpg

008-17.jpg

So after going a loooonnnnggggg time without finding some quality rings, I managed to score 2 of em in just 3 hunts. Maybe this next year will be pretty good afterall.

I would throw in my $ count for today, but honestly, I can't read half of em.

Upvote 0

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
wtg pins, never ceases to amaze me when even big players say that gold should come out looking like the day it dropped, plenty of my golds have been dull, tarnished and some with green crust. Alloys....... anyway beaut to see you back in the finds, I've had meagre finds over the last week or two - a tiny 9ct white gold band was the best of it - guess I'll have to "dig in" as you did.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it tests thats good enough for me.... i dont care how it looks. Ive had a couple that had crust all over them. I think a lot has to do with how long and the location. Both tested fine and both was paid for by ARA. Nothing like the tinkle of gold in the scoop.... good job.

Dew

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 10K white gold ring in fresh water marked FG (Frederick Goldman) and it was tarnished so bad that I thought it was junk. Must be the metal that company mixes with the gold. Nice ring for sure.

DANGLANGLEY

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looked like brass or copper before you cleaned it...congrats on a heavy 14k.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you hung in there pins!Those bits and pieces can be aggravating and I ask myself the same thing when hunting a park and pulling tab after tab. You know it's there and congrats on getting the gold!

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Glad you hung in there pins!Those bits and pieces can be aggravating and I ask myself the same thing when hunting a park and pulling tab after tab. You know it's there and congrats on getting the gold!

Thanks to everyone for replying! And yes, it brings me close to tears when I hunt this beach.... so much trash. You can swing the coil and hear 5 targets in the next step you'll take. Actually, I'm tearing up now... knowing I'll go back there soon.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:wav::wav:

Nice gold! Congrats.

Off topic: are you stationed on Okinawa? My son (USMC) was at Camp Fatima back in 2000-2001.

HH,
Anita

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes... I work on Kadena AB. Futenma is just down the road a ways.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find.

I found a crusty ring stamped 14K with a blackish color. Cleaned it up some and it said 14K GP. So I tried the acid test and failed, found out 14K GP meant gold plated, Kind a disapponted after that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread