Got the CTX 3030 back and gave it a spin. Sm Gold! Lots of coins!

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 515
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 237
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 220
Upvote 0

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow my back hurts looking at that.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BCNJ,
Super day hunting!! I bet you score some yellow next time out it's there go get it!!

SnT

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Great Hunting. You won't find the gold if you don't hunt where the people are. If you are hunting where the people are you will be finding coins and you certainly are finding the coins, so the rest of the gold is just around the corner.. Couple of questions: 1) You just got the CTX back?? What was wrong with it? 2) You have hunted a lot in the past with the Excalibur. How do you like the CTX as compared with the Excalibur? 3. Do you hunt wet sand only with the CTX or do you hunt in the water also? Thanks and happy hunting. Papa

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There must have been sand fly n through the air! Lol

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumright:WTG on that nice gold pendant and all those coins,,HH:hello:

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i could dig that much clad in a day/two hunt, id quit work and metal detect full time,Nice Job!!!

HH John!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!! Good luck next hunt. Steve

OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Great Hunting. You won't find the gold if you don't hunt where the people are. If you are hunting where the people are you will be finding coins and you certainly are finding the coins, so the rest of the gold is just around the corner.. Couple of questions: 1) You just got the CTX back?? What was wrong with it? 2) You have hunted a lot in the past with the Excalibur. How do you like the CTX as compared with the Excalibur? 3. Do you hunt wet sand only with the CTX or do you hunt in the water also? Thanks and happy hunting. Papa

I just got the detector back from a shaft repair. The handle grip portion was out of tolerance and would not get tight enought to hold the shaft. over the first 250hrs it beacame a slop and worn into the saft. This is not typical of the 3030 but a few case have come up. Minelab stepped up and did the repair in 2 weeks! I still love my Excalibur. They are two different machines. Not noted in this post is the lack of trash I did not dig using the 3030. I am not sure I like that yet. The processor on the 3030 does alot of desiding for the hunter. You still dig all non ferous targets but not the same ones as the Excalibur. I have yet to dig a chain in the first 265 hrs with the 3030 so I am still holding out. I have several gold rings and pendants. I have 12 or more silver chains some very thin! Each detector will have its quirks that need to be addressed. I know alot more about the GT and Excal so when I get an iffy signal I just know to dig it. I have not got that comfy with the 3030. I will have to make the point there just seems not to be any iffy signals. If it beeps dig it seems to work? I have been holding out for threshold breaks but am still stuggling to hear the threshold around the surf with the GG waterproff head phones. As with the Excal I hunt mostly open screen all metal for the Excal and reverse discriminate. The second hunt after the 156 coin day had 12 hrs between my hunt. I found the coins deeper. My first target was iffy not sounding more than a peep in two direction. I choose to dig it as it was the first sign of any target in 20 minutes. At three scoops I was getting a tone and at 5 scoops I had a larget half dollar size coin. I was hunting a beach that produces Spanish silver from time to time. I was holding out for that when I saw the large coin. It turn out to be a $10 dollar Mexican coin! The hold was 20 plus inches. Later the same hunt I dug quarters at 18 inches that were just chirps. This is probally due to being on edge? This was the ahh ha moment I have looked for with the CTX 3030. I will be hunting again same spot today with a different set of headphones. I hunt both wet and water BUT! You can NOT go in and out of the water with the CTX 3030. It has a smart coil that needs to adjust to the tempeture. Going into 50 degree water and back out affects the operation. This is what some have refered to as falsing. The machine will do the same when submerged it just needs to adjust! many still don't know this. The last item for us beach goers is Pin pointing. you can find the target and dig it as you would with any other detector. One two scoops and it out of the hole. We all know that shaking 200 plus targets aday will not work for anyones arem so we dump and kick it out and reaquier the target. Ya right! The 3030 will pick up that target from 6 inches from the coil that means 17 inches on a side or a 34 inch circle. running over the coin will help and runnind off the coin will help but its still in a 6 inch arc. I have push coins around the beach for 6 or more scoops, sometimes ending up with just as much sand as before the dump. This does not work well for speed when hunting against a tide clock! I have to say the more you use it the better you become but its PP'ing is not like any other machine. I have to mention that when you use the PP trigger on the machine (dirt) it is so accurate (beach too) that your time pulling targets from the ground is greatly reduced. It only after it's out tof the hole (beach) it become annoying. In the dirt a Hand helded PP does the trick. This can be used in the beach hunters way of hunting. you could use the PP trigger each time on the beach but its not in the right spot for pulling 200 times a hunt. The type of hunting on the beach is just not the same as dirt where the traget will be there since it was lost, it won't sink or move.(dirt)
Hope this helps anyone reading his. My CTX 3030 is very close to being paid for in clad and gold/silver, as exspected!
BCNJ

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
BCNJ,
Thanks for sharing your experience wiht the CTX. One last question. which coil are you using? I assume a DD butterfly??? On pinpointing after the kick, you might try raising the coil a foot off the ground so as not to overload the coil with a strong signal, and still locate the target. Papa

OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am using the stock 11" coil. I'll give that a go?
BCNJ

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Glad to see the CTX back in action!! Truthfully you could use a divining rod and out hunt most of the people on these pages! ( no offense to any of those folks intended)

Regarding the CTX, I look at it as i do any new product. That is, it could have some design or quality issues. Sometimes it takes time to work out the bugs. I've found this to be especially true of Pro and Prosumer cameras. Usually the first run of cameras is not something I want to own as certain manufacturers let the the first wave of customers do their testing for them. That's why you won't see me standing in line to be the first to get the new new thing. That said, most of the problems i've read about the new CTX are relatively minor.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
I am using the stock 11" coil. I'll give that a go?
BCNJ

BCNJ, I know you hunt those beaches all the time. I am amazed you are still finding as much as you are. I wonder if it is the new detector, or movement of the sand, or maybe a little bit of both. Have you experimented with the CTX and Excalibur side by side on the same deep target to see if there is any difference in depth? Your doing great. I may have to move back to NJ so I have some decent hunting grounds. I haven't found more than $2 in each of my last four 5 hour hunts and no gold in 2 months. Happy Hunting and thanks for the info. Papa

OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BCNJ, I know you hunt those beaches all the time. I am amazed you are still finding as much as you are. I wonder if it is the new detector, or movement of the sand, or maybe a little bit of both. Have you experimented with the CTX and Excalibur side by side on the same deep target to see if there is any difference in depth? Your doing great. I may have to move back to NJ so I have some decent hunting grounds. I haven't found more than $2 in each of my last four 5 hour hunts and no gold in 2 months. Happy Hunting and thanks for the info. Papa

I only hunt those same beaches do to time factor I am 15 minutes from the ocean This is the farthest I have ever lived from the ocean! LMAO! So for a quick spin I hit the same beach area! This is key to learning the beach you know what it looks like and can see any changes when you arrive. Next is you can walk right to spots you have hit for over 30 years, hunt it and move to the next hot spot. Many years ago I read of a hunter just hitting spot and leaving with gold to the next spot! It is possible to do if you pay close attention to just where the beach produces day in day out. Wave watching shows spots where the come together and hence so does targets. I have run the CTX side by side with a buddy with either a GT or Excalibur. results seem to be the same. He hunts like I do never covering more than a feet hundred feet of beach a hunt.I also run the Excal one day and CTX the next not a true test because the beach changes by the minute.This is the time of year that gold dropped durring the summer will start to get exsposed at the same time coins get moved around. I use to only hunt the beach from OCT thru April. Some of my best finds have come in Jan Feb Mar in 30 MPH winds at 10 degrees! Its not uncommon to find 15 hunters on the same small beach both in the water and dry sand 24/7 it used to be I'd be out at 3am and never see another hunter now I see 6 or more any time of night early morning! If I am find target they are too! I get my fair share of 5 coin days also! I hunt quite a bit, some weeks 40 hrs.
BCNJ

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunting.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread